I found Capital One's balance transfer gag reflex for my account

cv91915

The last post in this topic was posted 1284 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just tried to BT ~$11,000 from my Aviator to my Quicksilver to get another ~2 months of no-fee/no-interest float on our recent HVAC and water heater purchases.

The previous QS statement just closed with a ~$3k balance (recent work expenses BTd from other cards). Credit limit is an austere $17k.

Today's $11k BT was met with this response:

0wEyROY.png

Next I did the only logical thing, which was to attempt a BT for a ~$500 statement balance from my Chase Marriott card to float a recent hotel stay until I'm reimbursed.

The second BT went through without issue.

Didn't we hear about account closure when people abuse BT's? I hope that is not the case here CV..

I myself was waiting for statement closure to use this feature this month..

That's what's I was thinking when I first got the "under review" message, but then they approved the ~$500 BT... and then I read heydeno's post:

IME review at or above 7500, just call and should be fine. Next time make 2 BT under 7500 if you dont want to call

I guess we will see.

Didn't we hear about account closure when people abuse BT's? I hope that is not the case here CV..

I myself was waiting for statement closure to use this feature this month..

That's what's I was thinking when I first got the "under review" message, but then they approved the ~$500 BT... and then I read heydeno's post:

IME review at or above 7500, just call and should be fine. Next time make 2 BT under 7500 if you dont want to call

I guess we will see.

Verdict?

I called in and mashed my keypad as requested to enter my card number and the last 4 digits of my SSN. I was immediately transferred to the fraud department.

After confirming some other account details the agent texted me a six-digit code, which I read back to her.

She reviewed the activity that tripped the fraud alert, and (to no surprise) it was the ~$11k BT, which they had already auto-declined.

The agent was able to clear the fraud alert, and asked me if I'd like her to override the decline, and of course I agreed. The BT is now approved and will be processed.

She suggested that I sign up for Security Alerts so I could clear up matter like this on a self-serve basis by responding to a text within 15 minutes. She sent me an email with a link to configure my alerts (which were already configured and don't have a text option for these types of communications).

29j5yKX.png

I did NOT receive a "Suspicious credit card activity" email alert at the time of the declined BT (or since), despite having this alert setting already in place.

My account still says it's restricted, but she assured me that it just takes a while for their system to refresh. I can use my card right away.

So I guess I'll do the only logical thing and request another BT... :P

Another ~$600 BT approved.

"Restricted" notation is gone from my account.

I'm down to just over $2k available. :rofl:

I'm happy Cap1 got his gag reflex under control for your BT needs.

It was a little sloppy, but we got it done.

Another ~$600 BT approved.

"Restricted" notation is gone from my account.

I'm down to just over $2k available. :rofl:

I'm happy Cap1 got his gag reflex under control for your BT needs.

It was a little sloppy, but we got it done.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend.

One of the many and sundry reasons I have no desire to deal with CapOne.

+1

I've been eyeing their no-fee BTs for similar purposes as to what cv's original intent was (float payments). Granted, I've never done this for more than $7500, so that may be a non-issue, but that seems like an awfully low trigger point and even more so given his credit profile.

Also, love the metaphors in this thread. :lol:

As of this morning all three of my BTs from 5/27 are still pending.

I don't remember previous BTs taking four days to post.

tVbwsPu.png

As of this morning the pending BTs from 5/27 have disappeared from my account.

available credit = (credit limit - current balance - sum of all three BTs from 5/27).

I checked all three of the accounts for which the transfers were intended, and none of them have posted.

There is no activity showing on my account after 5/10.

LMtxnhA.png

The account is NOT showing as restricted.

So either you're in the middle of the BTs posting or they declined them outright? Is it too early for popcorn?

Time will tell. I'm just posting updates as they happen.

An in-between period like this is when I applied with (and how I got into) PenFed, in spite of me being a dirty Egyptian.

So either you're in the middle of the BTs posting or they declined them outright? Is it too early for popcorn?

An in-between period like this is when I applied with (and how I got into) PenFed, in spite of me being a dirty Egyptian.

I'm starting to feel a little dirty, and not in a good way.

I'm starting to feel a little dirty, and not in a good way.

Hey! Be nice to a fellow Valley-dweller! :rofl:

The last post in this topic was posted 1284 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.