Sign in to follow this  
mec

Two travelers. One in the aisle seat and one in the window seat

I see this a lot when looking at seat selection. A fairly empty cabin will display a (usually preferred) row with these two seats selected.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what your success rate is at scaring off the middle seat passenger on somewhat but not completely full flights.

I see this a lot when looking at seat selection. A fairly empty cabin will display a (usually preferred) row with these two seats selected.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what your success rate is at scaring off the middle seat passenger on somewhat but not completely full flights.

The only flights where an aisle seat passenger and I managed to stare off a potential middle seat passenger have been on Southwest where you don't pre-choose your seat. On seat selected flights the person typically stayed in their seat unless there was a much better option close by or closer to the front.

These days I have rarely encountered a partially full flight. Almost all have been at capacity and those that were not only had other middle seats remaining.

My DW and I tried this a couple of times. However, American seems very effective at ultimately booking a nearly full cabin by the time stand-bys are boarded. Having a stranger between us was simply awkward.

We now typically book opposite aisle seats and are much happier with the results.

I haven't seen a "somewhat but not completely full" flight in more than a decade.

This would probably scare off a single traveler who books their seat in advance.

The problem is that a surprising number of passengers don't select seats in advance, (and airlines probably prefer to put any such single passengers in the middle seat to preserve side-by-side seating for multiple passengers).

The clear trend I've noticed over the past 10-20 years is that the front of the plane is quite a bit better, and the back of the plane is quite a bit worse. :cry2:

I haven't seen a "somewhat but not completely full" flight in more than a decade.

Economy between DFW and NRT must have been less than half full both ways on my trip last October. Lots of lucky passengers had an entire row to themselves, and were stretched across the entire row, sound asleep, for most of these flights. 0 premium cabin seats were open in either direction, though.

Nearly 100% of the time ORD-MUD, CLT-MUD, and not uncommonly DFW-MUD, have several empty seats, even in First. Often there is no one on the upgrade wait list for these flights.

Edited by cv91915

My DW and I tried this a couple of times. However, American seems very effective at ultimately booking a nearly full cabin by the time stand-bys are boarded. Having a stranger between us was simply awkward.

We now typically book opposite aisle seats and are much happier with the results.

TAD would rather have a window seat and sit next to a stranger than take the aisle seat adjacent to mine. Which is fine.

It's not like we don't have an entire vacation to talk each other's ears off, plus he's always sleeping before the door closes at the departure gate anyway.

TAD would rather have a window seat and sit next to a stranger than take the aisle seat adjacent to mine. Which is fine.

It's not like we don't have an entire vacation to talk each other's ears off, plus he's always sleeping before the door closes at the departure gate anyway.

Now you tangentially touch on why our arrangement works so well for us ...

Bev has a knack for striking up chat with a seatmate. She's not intrusive or bothersome in the least (and is quick to take notice when someone grunts a brief pleasantry). However, in acknowledgement of the other passenger, she tends to slip in a modest question or two that typically draws others out ... to my chagrin, as I work on a power nap while seated next to them. Sitting opposite her on the aisle directs discussion away from me, and they're welcome to chat to their content ;)

Now you tangentially touch on why our arrangement works so well for us ...

Bev has a knack for striking up chat with a seatmate. She's not intrusive or bothersome in the least (and is quick to take notice when someone grunts a brief pleasantry). However, in acknowledgement of the other passenger, she tends to slip in a modest question or two that typically draws others out ... to my chagrin, as I work on a power nap while seated next to them. Sitting opposite her on the aisle directs discussion away from me, and they're welcome to chat to their content ;)

It's true... having an aisle seat next to an aisle seat isn't the same as sitting next to each other. For better or for worse.

Truly baffling to me. :D

My better half is the same way.

Truly baffling to me. :D

My better half is the same way.

What I'll add to this is that when traveling solo, I always take a window seat. I often use flight time to catch up on sleep, and the last thing I want is to be disturbed because someone needs to use the facilities.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. trent101
      trent101
    2. Brog
      Brog
    3. BrentN
      BrentN
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    myth5
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines