Sign in to follow this  
ChewieBear

Just Starting Out

A few years ago, I had some major health problems and ended up with a bunch of medical bills. Fortunately, they only add up to a little under $4K, but the hospital sent each bill to the CA separately, so instead of one bad mark for $4K, I have five bad marks of anywhere from $69 to $1,541 each. I am going to use the HIPAA process to try to get these removed. I just wanted to confirm my understanding of the process before I do anything so I don't mess it up.

1) Opt Out

2) Get reports from all three major CRAs

3) Fill out the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter (the one for multiple accounts) and send it to CRAs. If I understand correctly, I should fill out the form by hand in blue ink and send it by Priority Mail with proof of delivery only. I should include copies of my credit reports with the accounts circled.

4) Wait for response from CRAs before moving on to next step.

Did I understand the process correctly?

A few years ago, I had some major health problems and ended up with a bunch of medical bills. Fortunately, they only add up to a little under $4K, but the hospital sent each bill to the CA separately, so instead of one bad mark for $4K, I have five bad marks of anywhere from $69 to $1,541 each. I am going to use the HIPAA process to try to get these removed. I just wanted to confirm my understanding of the process before I do anything so I don't mess it up.

1) Opt Out

2) Get reports from all three major CRAs

3) Fill out the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter (the one for multiple accounts) and send it to CRAs. If I understand correctly, I should fill out the form by hand in blue ink and send it by Priority Mail with proof of delivery only. I should include copies of my credit reports with the accounts circled.

4) Wait for response from CRAs before moving on to next step.

Did I understand the process correctly?

The only other thing you should do is to dispute old addresses IF you have moved since the dates of medical services ( and of course check for any errors on your reports such as misspelling of your name, unknown addresses or alternate SS#s)

Otherwise you are correct. How long ago is "A few years ago" -2 years??

Some bills are from 2014, and some are from 2015. In 2014, I was in the emergency room multiple times with chest pain, got sent home and told nothing was wrong with me, and then ended up in the hospital to the tune of $120,000 because I had an arterial blockage. Fortunately, my insurance paid most of the bill, but I still owed a couple thousand. The dye they used to do the stent procedure caused me to go into acute kidney failure, and I was in and out of the hospital, unable to work, for a few months. Then in 2015, I had surgery. My insurance covered most of that, too, but I was left with around $800 in unpaid bills between the hospital costs and separate radiology charges.

I will have old addresses deleted. I also noticed that my EQ report has an SSN variation that is nowhere close to mine. If the last four digits of mine are 2345, then the alternate is 9876. It's not like someone made a typo that made it into 2346; it's a totally different number.

Some bills are from 2014, and some are from 2015. In 2014, I was in the emergency room multiple times with chest pain, got sent home and told nothing was wrong with me, and then ended up in the hospital to the tune of $120,000 because I had an arterial blockage. Fortunately, my insurance paid most of the bill, but I still owed a couple thousand. The dye they used to do the stent procedure caused me to go into acute kidney failure, and I was in and out of the hospital, unable to work, for a few months. Then in 2015, I had surgery. My insurance covered most of that, too, but I was left with around $800 in unpaid bills between the hospital costs and separate radiology charges.

I will have old addresses deleted. I also noticed that my EQ report has an SSN variation that is nowhere close to mine. If the last four digits of mine are 2345, then the alternate is 9876. It's not like someone made a typo that made it into 2346; it's a totally different number. THAT IS VERY SERIOUS-- GET IT FIXED BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE

Will do. Thank you! Can I dispute multiple things in the same letter, or do I have to send a separate letter for each item (e.g. one letter to have addresses removed, one to have the wrong SSN variation removed, one to ask them to remove accounts that are not mine, etc.)?

Edited by ChewieBear

Will do. Thank you! Can I dispute multiple things in the same letter, or do I have to send a separate letter for each item (e.g. one letter to have addresses removed, one to have the wrong SSN variation removed, one to ask them to remove accounts that are not mine, etc.)?

You can dispute errors of name spellings and addresses and SS #s in one letter.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Once ALL of those have been fixed you can start disputing accounts. The account dispute letter is different than a letter requesting corrections of addresses and names and SS#s.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Thanks, WhyChat. I have my three letters ready to go to EQ, EX, and TU. One more question (for now): I can send these letters via the Priority Mail flat-rate envelopes, right? I don't have to use CMRR?

Thanks, WhyChat. I have my three letters ready to go to EQ, EX, and TU. One more question (for now): I can send these letters via the Priority Mail flat-rate envelopes, right? I don't have to use CMRR?

Yes

Thank you. I have to update my address with some old closed accounts so I don't lose the good TLs when I ask the CRAs to delete old addresses, but I am ready to move forward.