Sign in to follow this  
fixit502

Medical bill went to collections.

I have a medical bill that had gone to collections, I’ve called the original biller and they don’t seem to care, I offered to pay it directly, and the person said on the phone they would send the payment to collections??? anyone ever heard of this?

It was like she wanted to get me off the phone and not deal with me.

I’ve not heard from collections people. She just told me it did. I tried to go to original biller online with account number and it shows 0 balance, so I know it has been transferred.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a medical bill that had gone to collections, I’ve called the original biller and they don’t seem to care, I offered to pay it directly, and the person said on the phone they would send the payment to collections??? anyone ever heard of this?

Yes. Many collections contracts are now on contingency meaning the collector gets paid on a percentage they achieve. If you pay the provider the CA never gets paid on the account. Another common collections contract has a clause that states once they take the account payment has to go through them the provider may not bypass them.

I’ve not heard from collections people. She just told me it did. I tried to go to original biller online with account number and it shows 0 balance, so I know it has been transferred.

While it isn't common some providers are now selling bad debts like credit card companies. If the account is showing a zero balance it may have been sold.

I called back and talked to someone else, was able to pay it directly! I was told they will let CA know. Huzzah!!!

I will keep eye on credit report.

I called back and talked to someone else, was able to pay it directly! I was told they will let CA know. Huzzah!!!

Why are you here?? You insured that the account would be reporting on your credit report as a paid collection.

If it was reporting previously as an unpaid collection and you had bothered to wait for proper advice you could have gotten it totally removed from your reports.

Now, if it was reporting previously from a year or more ago it will be updated to a more recent paid collection which will LOWER your credit scores.

Why are you here?? You insured that the account would be reporting on your credit report as a paid collection.

If it was reporting previously as an unpaid collection and you had bothered to wait for proper advice you could have gotten it totally removed from your reports.

Now, if it was reporting previously from a year or more ago it will be updated to a more recent paid collection which will LOWER your credit scores.

It isn’t on my credit report. I paid directly to the original creditor...? It hasn’t been reported at all, they had just sent it over and will be recalling it.

They told you they would let the CA know.

That means the CA is allowed to report it as a paid collection.

I suggest you opt out and check your real credit reports in case you need to clean things up.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

The HIPAA letter program would have allowed you to pay the OC while denying them the ability to inform the CA