ANNOUNCEMENT

cv91915 has set up a Go Fund Me page to take donations that will be used for flowers for breeze's memorial, and excess will be donated to a cancer charity in breeze's name.  If you'd like to participate, please go here:  https://www.gofundme.com/breeze-memorial .  If you have any questions about donating or the GFM, please reach out to cv91915.  

photo-thumb-3.jpg
Sunday, unexpectedly, we lost one of our own.  After a sudden diagnosis of liver cancer just two days before, our very own mama Breeze lost her battle with this disease and passed away on Sunday afternoon.   She passed peacefully surrounded by her family.

We know that many of you will be as devastated as we are to learn of this, and we know that you will share in our grief.  We will be in the Feedback forum with you, sharing our memories and our tears.  We encourage you to join us there.

We started on this journey fifteen years ago - breeze, Pam, LKH, and radi8.  Through everything that has transpired over the past fifteen years, we have always remained family - and Mama breeze was an integral part of that family.  We will be posting additional information here, as much as we can while still respecting her desire for privacy and anonymity.  For now, while we process our grief, we will close this notice with Godspeed, Mama.  We miss you so much already.

- Pam, LKH, radi8, Marv

- the mods and forum leads

Sign in to follow this  
minnesotakent

One derogatory account left on one report - strategy for removing?

I only have one negative account remaining. It's only on Experian and the creditor is Ocwen. I filed chapter 13 in 2010, but I kept paying Ocwen and was never late with a payment. I have recently refinanced and Ocwen is no longer my mortgage company.

Ocwen is showing the account as "Discharged through chapter 7 bankruptcy. Never late." That is an error, because it was not chapter 7, it was chapter 13.

They are not showing a balance on the account. It's blank, but it should be zero. Ocwen quit reporting on the account once I filed bankruptcy.

It is reporting that the information was updated in 2015 from a dispute I made then. I do not remember what I disputed at that time.

What would be the best strategy to attempt to get this account removed?

Dispute incorrect information. If key info like balance is missing dispute the lack of information and ask them to provide it or delete the account. Basically a modified jack attack.

Posted (edited)

I only have one negative account remaining. It's only on Experian and the creditor is Ocwen. I filed chapter 13 in 2010, but I kept paying Ocwen and was never late with a payment. I have recently refinanced and Ocwen is no longer my mortgage company.

Ocwen is showing the account as "Discharged through chapter 7 bankruptcy. Never late." That is an error, because it was not chapter 7, it was chapter 13.

They are not showing a balance on the account. It's blank, but it should be zero. Ocwen quit reporting on the account once I filed bankruptcy.

It is reporting that the information was updated in 2015 from a dispute I made then. I do not remember what I disputed at that time.

What would be the best strategy to attempt to get this account removed?

Why get it removed instead of having them update it properly, turning it into a positive account? If you paid it and were never late until 2014 or something (you didn't specify) this item could report positive for 6 more years.

Edited by Konrad2012

Does this look like a good letter to Experian? Is there anything I should change?

There are errors on my report that need to be correct. The errors concern the Ocwen Loan Servicing account.

Error #1: The status is incorrect. Please provide the correct status or delete the account.

Error #2: The balance is missing. Please provide the correct balance or delete the account.

Does this look like a good letter to Experian? Is there anything I should change?

There are errors on my report that need to be correct. The errors concern the Ocwen Loan Servicing account.

Error #1: The status is incorrect. Please provide the correct status or delete the account.

Error #2: The balance is missing. Please provide the correct balance or delete the account.

You should try contacting OCWEN first and see if they will correctly report the trade line.

Experian cannot correct anything that is reported by OCWEN, so they will just remove the account.

Having a positive, aged, paid off mortgage on your account is a good thing (yes I realize you have refinanced and have another NEWER mortgage reporting).

Posted (edited)

The reason I would like it corrected or removed is because it is the only thing remaining on any of my credit reports that shows any evidence of the bankruptcy.

It is showing as a negative account on Experian.

Edited by minnesotakent

You should try contacting OCWEN first and see if they will correctly report the trade line.

the reason it shows that note is because Ocwen is reporting the IIB status.

it's not just a comment that can be removed. it's the status code itself.

the OP is unlikely to get Ocwen to change the status (other than changing it to CH13, which isn't any better).

so disputing with EX and getting the account removed is really the only option here.

the reason it shows that note is because Ocwen is reporting the IIB status.

it's not just a comment that can be removed. it's the status code itself.

the OP is unlikely to get Ocwen to change the status (other than changing it to CH13, which isn't any better).

so disputing with EX and getting the account removed is really the only option here.

I'd try to get OCWEN to change the reporting if it was never late. Worth a shot. But I don't know anything about BK's.

Certainly worth a try. If you kept making the payments and we're never late maybe you can convince them. However I had Ocwen and they are the spawn of Satan. So good luck.

Experian cannot correct anything that is reported by OCWEN, so they will just remove the account.

Having a positive, aged, paid off mortgage on your account is a good thing (yes I realize you have refinanced and have another NEWER mortgage reporting).

+1 Definitely try first to get Ocwen to report properly.

I recently tackled removing an incorrect comment from my mortgage company on one bureau. Be prepared to be persistent, document with whom you spoke, when you called, and escalate to supervisors, if necessary.

Certainly worth a try. If you kept making the payments and we're never late maybe you can convince them. However I had Ocwen and they are the spawn of Satan. So good luck.

In regards to Ocwen, what problems did you have with them? Were you able to get anything deleted with them?

This is off-topic, but here's how bad Ocwen can be and this has nothing to do with credit. Ocwen is mainly a debt collector that got into the mortgage business. When you call them, you are treated like people are typically treated when they call a debt collector, no matter what the reason for the phone call. For example, one year they didn't pay my property taxes on time. When I called them I was never able to get past the hard-to-understand people in their call center in India, Pakistan, or wherever they are. They wanted all of this other information that had absolutely nothing to do with my property taxes. It was all about getting information to pay debts, even though I was up to date with all payments and just wanted them to pay the taxes from my escrow account. After about 15 minutes of them asking me all sorts of unrelated questions, they still refused to even talk about the taxes not getting paid, so I finally hung up.

One year I changed my homeowners insurance. The new company sent Ocwen a bill. Ocwen never paid. They sent them another bill. Again, not paid. I finally paid it myself to avoid losing coverage and then about 4 months later they actually paid the bill, which was by then almost six months late. The following year Ocwen sent the insurance payment to the old insurance company, not the one that had billed them. Luckily, both insurance companies are in the same small town and the old one turned over the payment to the new one. I wrote letters to Ocwen explaining their error. They wrote back, so I thought the situation was over. Until, the next year when it happened again and they once again sent the insurance payment to the wrong company.

In regards to Ocwen, what problems did you have with them? Were you able to get anything deleted with them?

It was a nightmare trying to get a 30DL deleted that was their fault because they started servicing the loan and didn't notify me and I kept sending my payments to the old servicer. I think they changed the law on this now but this was back before.

Follow up: the dispute with Experian was successful. I was hoping to get the account removed, but the result is even better. They removed the referance to the bankruptcy and reported that the account paid in full and never late. My only remaining negative is now a positive!!

Follow up: the dispute with Experian was successful. I was hoping to get the account removed, but the result is even better. They removed the referance to the bankruptcy and reported that the account paid in full and never late. My only remaining negative is now a positive!!

:clapping:

Yes, under law the CRA's are required to report correctly even if the furnisher supplies bad info.

Congrats !

Which, is what I said basically.