Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

“Consumers, already inundated by robocalls, will be hit with even more unwanted calls,”

I dont recognize the number coming in it doesnt get answered.

Same. I've already put all my friend, work and bank contacts in my phone. I know if it is someone who needs to reach me. Everyone else gets sent to voicemail. Works pretty well.

Here's an idea for a hot app.

Something that waits for the pause after they run the robo pitch then have it say something like, "Yes (pause for the switchover to a human) Please hold on, someone's at the door but it sounds interesting and I'll be right back." Then just keep the line open until they give up. Imagine if a few hundred thousand downloaded an app that did that?

I get 10-15 robo calls a day. Some of them are from the same place with a different number. Seriously considered changing my number!

Here's an idea for a hot app.

Something that waits for the pause after they run the robo pitch then have it say something like, "Yes (pause for the switchover to a human) Please hold on, someone's at the door but it sounds interesting and I'll be right back." Then just keep the line open until they give up. Imagine if a few hundred thousand downloaded an app that did that?

I love your idea. How about an option to start playing a pre-recorded MP3 chatting about complete nonsense, then long pauses to confuse the rep, then ask why they aren't a good listener. I'd love to mess with 'em.

Does anyone really want robocalls? Nope.

The penalty for robocallers should be increased to death. Quick executions too.

Edited by Burgerwars

Show the executions on live TV via PPV. Probably would have a bigger draw than UFC, WWE, and boxing combined.

Show the executions on live TV via PPV. Probably would have a bigger draw than UFC, WWE, and boxing combined.

+1

Just this morning I got two calls from unknown numbers that were dead air.

I just don't answer my phone unless a name of someone I know pops up on caller ID.

Exactly. Why do people feel they must answer the phone???

I am pleased by my cell phone company now identifying many calls as "Scam Likely" in addition to showing the number.

If someone wants to talk to you, they will leave a voicemail. Really, they will!

I just don't answer my phone unless a name of someone I know pops up on caller ID.

They're spoofing local numbers, now.

They're spoofing local numbers, now.

And not just 'local' but the prefix. Makes it easier to identify them though since nobody else I know uses a cell phone with the same prefix...the number then gets saved as 'spam' which, again, makes the calls easy to identify.

It's the same people who receive unknown calls with no message but feel the need to call that number back. Ever dial the wrong number then hang-up only to have that moose call you back saying "you just called me"? Don't THESE people have a life?

A lot of these calls are just robo-dialer factories in India and Pakistan trying to scam gullible people regarding their credit cards and IRS/SSN info. It is a big business over there because the governments of both countries have yet to crack down on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/world/asia/india-call-centers-fraud-americans.html

I can pay my IRS bills with Olive Garden gift cards though! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've greatly minimized those calls by having a Google Voice number as my home number. So easy to log in and block those calls.

I also block them on my cell phone. They may call one or twice, but then the number and any messaging is blocked.

It's the same people who receive unknown calls with no message but feel the need to call that number back. Ever dial the wrong number then hang-up only to have that moose call you back saying "you just called me"? Don't THESE people have a life?

I'm self-employed. Sometimes I get work from these unrecognized numbers.