Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Chrysler Capital Charge Off after insurance payout??

The last post in this topic was posted 848 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

We purchased a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan in April 2016. Fast forward to March 2017 and the van explodes in my driveway (yes, explodes). It took several months for the insurance company, Dodge, and the fire investigator to complete everything and the insurance pay out. Because I am sure everyone is curious the official finding was too much damage to know what happened but whatever it was started in the engine compartment. We also had GAP insurance that worked with our main insurance to pay out the claim. EVERYTHING WAS COVERED so I though.

I am now trying to fix our credit so we can get a HELOC to do some home repairs and I noticed Chrysler Capital is listing the account as a charge off with a balance of $456 unpaid (date closed of 11/17 of 41,108). I was not aware of any balance on this van. I was curious and I called and was told that was the amount left over after insurance paid out. I called the insurance company to ask why that was not paid and was told because the due date on my car was 3 days before my car exploded they did not include that payment in the payout.

But now I am at a loss for what the heck to do, We were never late on the car (we always had to pay a few days late due to paydays but never more than a few days - definitely not 30+ days) but now we have a charge off and 120 days delinquent (well a 30, 60, 90, and 120 then charge off). Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? No, I never got any harassing calls, or letters. After insurance paid out we never heard from them again.

Try call/ write executive office and see if they can help given confusion. Might be willing to correct as a mistake if make payment given 99% was paid already

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is one time, once you talk to them and explain what happened and you didn’t receive any notice that a PFD/goodwill may work.

Did this not show up on any of the paperwork received? Did you receive no calls prior to charge off?

Edited by tiggerlgh

Combination of goodwill plus paying the deficiency may make this go away. If the payment was late at the time of loss, however, you will need to be prepared to explain WHY there was not a timely payment.

Something doesn't add up. There's no way that Chrysler would have released title to the insurance company without full payment. Maybe it was so badly damaged that they didn't want the title, but that doesn't make any sense. Insurance companies really only operate one way.

I called the insurance company to ask why that was not paid and was told because the due date on my car was 3 days before my car exploded they did not include that payment in the payout.

check the dates - the date your car exploded may be different than the date the INSURANCE Agency lists the claim

Send a letter /FAX asking the insurance co for their date list on the explosion,

show them your bank statement indicating when the last car payment was made, and documents on when the next one was due

and Documents of when the explosion actually occurred ( there should have been a police/ fire report? attach a copy )

Threaten to sue "under the theory of vicarious liability" for damages to your credit rating for not paying the claim in full,

stating that you've been denied loans and or a greater interest rate because of their action , it's financial loss, suffered embarrassment, etc.

( look up your state law requirement for emotional damages )

once you get this resolved with the insurance agency, talk to the auto lender.asking that the late payment be removed.

Something doesn't add up. There's no way that Chrysler would have released title to the insurance company without full payment. Maybe it was so badly damaged that they didn't want the title, but that doesn't make any sense. Insurance companies really only operate one way.

And which way is that?

The last post in this topic was posted 848 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.