Sign in to follow this  
Koalleon

Midland sending settlement to wrong address

Midland/MCM sending settlement offers to my step moms address where I never lived and is not on my CR. How should I got about addressing this ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to stop, tell them to FOAD and cease all communications

you could also threaten to sue for sending letters a relative at an address you never resided at

So I shouldn’t DV it ??? Cause it sure seems like they don’t have the right information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Settlement offers for what? Is this your account? We need a lot more info. Mailing something to a wrong address is not a violation, it is permissible error.

Settlement offers for what? Is this your account? We need a lot more info. Mailing something to a wrong address is not a violation, it is permissible error.

The thing with Midland is that they have the right address, and mail things to be wrong one hoping to claim "service."

not when it's a relative not associated with the account and the consumer never lived there

they performed a skip trace to find the Aunt, that same Skip trace would have found the consumer

These are very hard to win because of the bona fide error defense. Also, they may raise Ohio rule 408, which states settlement offers are inadmissible in court in most cases.

These are very hard to win because of the bona fide error defense. Also, they may raise Ohio rule 408, which states settlement offers are inadmissible in court in most cases.

I would argue that their error has nothing to do with me.

not when it's a relative not associated with the account and the consumer never lived there

they performed a skip trace to find the Aunt, that same Skip trace would have found the consumer

Not all skip traces are going to find an individual...for example, if someone tried to skip me, all roads lead back to my Post Office Box.

There are other people who just simply live off the grid for various reasons or are SO mobile with their residence that by the time a database updates, they have already moved two more times.

Point in all of this is that, while there may be shenanigans in this instance, there is also a viable BFE defense that may be available.

Not all skip traces are going to find an individual...for example, if someone tried to skip me, all roads lead back to my Post Office Box.

There are other people who just simply live off the grid for various reasons or are SO mobile with their residence that by the time a database updates, they have already moved two more times.

Point in all of this is that, while there may be shenanigans in this instance, there is also a viable BFE defense that may be available.

What does BFE mean?

What does BFE mean?

bona fide error