Mido

AMEX Optima Oasis Card/Program (Regain Card Membership)

Hello CB Team,

My cousin was Delinquent (90 days) on his AMEX PRG charge-card (total of $2700) and right before paying his AMEX PRG balance off using his tax refund received from the IRS, Amex cancelled it on 2/22/2018 along with his BCE (good status).

On 3/5/2018 he received an invitation letter by mail from AMEX saying that they're giving him a second chance if he paid his balance in full by offering him an AMEX Optima application.

The problem is .. before he got AMEX Optima invitation letter he already made payment arrangement plan the day before to pay-off his balance IN FULL by March 21, 2018. So, when he called AMEX Optima number they told him yes we see your payment arrangement plan and once the balance is paid in full we will send you an application and the Optima card will be around $1100 (Limit) and you will be on 12 months (kinda like probation) before you can apply for any other AMEX Plan.

Now is this AMEX Optima Program (Regain Card Membership) worth it. Also, when he made the payment arrangement over the phone (The day before he received the Optima Invitation letter) the AMEX account manager informed him that she will submit a request with positive notes to RE-INSTATE his cancelled AMEX PRG & cancelled BCE and they will mail him a decision within 7-10 days (which he personally think it will never happen because once the Account is cancelled it will never be reopened).

Anyone here have recent experience with this AMEX Optima (Regain Card Membership) Program?

Will Amex EVER re-instate these cancelled accounts?? if NOT, will they ever send him an Optima Card once his Balance is paid in full?

Thank you All.

yes, the Optima program is real.

never heard of reopening closed accounts, though. that's likely something they just said to get him to agree to pay. that's their job.

it's obviously too late now, but he should have communicated with them regarding his plans when he got behind and was going to use the tax refund to pay it off. that could have kept the accounts open. they have a great hardship plan and they are one of the best creditors at working with you.

yes, the Optima program is real.

never heard of reopening closed accounts, though. that's likely something they just said to get him to agree to pay. that's their job.

it's obviously too late now, but he should have communicated with them regarding his plans when he got behind and was going to use the tax refund to pay it off. that could have kept the accounts open. they have a great hardship plan and they are one of the best creditors at working with you.

Thanks @Shifter

He told me he tried working with them back in January but they insisted on payment right away (Probably the agent over the phone wasn't having it).

Too late now anyway as you said but hopefully after 12 months of probation with them they will be nice to consider him for future cards.

yes, after 12 months you can get back in. I was in the hardship program for a year back when and it was 12 months after I finished the program that I was able to get approved for another account.

I got the application to apply for the optima card when I paid off one of my charged off AMEX account. I have the Optima card therefore I can tell you the oasis program is real.

Keep in mind they will suspend your Optima card (aka. Not let you use your account) if you have multiple charged off accounts until you paid off all of them.

As for getting approved for a new card, you will still be subject to their credit requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the application to apply for the optima card when I paid off one of my charged off AMEX account. I have the Optima card therefore I can tell you the oasis program is real.

Keep in mind they will suspend your Optima card (aka. Not let you use your account) if you have multiple charged off accounts until you paid off all of them.

As for getting approved for a new card, you will still be subject to their credit requirements.

Thank You for the info. I passed it on to him and i also told him when he gets the Optima Card to pay IN-FULL every month .. No more BS with AMEX

Your cousin needs to come here and learn themselves.

Why were they carrying a balance on a charge card without a pay over time feature as opposed to a revolver that they could have made minimal payments on? That's financial Darwinism.

Why were they carrying a balance on a charge card without a pay over time feature as opposed to a revolver that they could have made minimal payments on? That's financial Darwinism.

I invited him to CB and hopefully he learns. Thanks

I would have your cousin to follow up on getting his accounts reinstated before getting the Optima.

I would have your cousin to follow up on getting his accounts reinstated before getting the Optima.

@dvd

Its almost impossible but Never say Never. even-though we all know once an account is closed/cancelled its close to impossible to be re-opened. However, I will ask him to follow up closely on that once his full payment is cleared and before requesting an Optima application.

yes, after 12 months you can get back in. I was in the hardship program for a year back when and it was 12 months after I finished the program that I was able to get approved for another account.

Konrad and Shifter,

They forfeit his balance of 26K Points on Amex PRG and $35.00 worth of cash back on his BCE when they cancelled both accounts. Will they credit him back somehow or its gone with the wind? the point balances were there way before he fell behind payments! is it worth fighting for it?

He received a letter from them yesterday saying:

Your request to reinstate the account referenced above has been declined."

Reason(s) for our decision

.Your FICO score as provided by Experian.

He received a letter from them yesterday saying:

Your request to reinstate the account referenced above has been declined."

Reason(s) for our decision

.Your FICO score as provided by Experian.

It’s very hard for them to reinstate an account. I didn’t even know that such an option existed.

Like I said, he still subject to AMEX’s credit requirements. I think you need at least 680 FICO to be considered for a card.

If he really wants an Amex card, he might want to take them up on that Optima card.

The Optima card is the only way AmEx lets people back in - If they give it to him. The AmEx contract states that if they close your account, everything else - points, cash back, rewards are forfeit.

The Optima card is the only way AmEx lets people back in - If they give it to him. The AmEx contract states that if they close your account, everything else - points, cash back, rewards are forfeit.

Thank you breeze.

Good to know they still have OASIS, it has helped a lot of CBers who valued their relationship with AmEx. If he gets it, just do not screw it up. They won't do this twice. :)

I've even seen them jump through all the hoops to put a bk'd account back on the books, let the former customer pay it off, all to get in the OASIS program. That was probably 10 years ago or more.

I closed an AMEX charge card once. Then D* was killed. Not wanting to lose a 20+ year old trade, I called AMEX and was able to get them to reinstate the account.

Granted, this was me closing the account not them.

If someone wanted to get back in with the Optima program, they'd probably need to consider the lost rewards as a casualty. If someone was not able to get in to the Optima program, I'd file a CFPB complaint and try to get access to my forfeited rewards.

I am replying to this old topic because I haven't been able to find an answer. My AmEx BCE card was in a hardship payment plan with fixed monthly payment setup directly through AmEx. I was never actually late or missed a payment on the account. Do you think I could get an Optima Oasis card? They already told me I couldn't reopen my Blue Cash because of the payment program, but I have paid the account balance off in full. Is there a phone number anywhere that I could use to request this program? Thanks!

56 minutes ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I am replying to this old topic because I haven't been able to find an answer. My AmEx BCE card was in a hardship payment plan with fixed monthly payment setup directly through AmEx. I was never actually late or missed a payment on the account. Do you think I could get an Optima Oasis card? They already told me I couldn't reopen my Blue Cash because of the payment program, but I have paid the account balance off in full. Is there a phone number anywhere that I could use to request this program? Thanks!

Try calling Amex Reserve # 800-700-7919 to see if 1) you can get your account reinstated (Apollo Program) or 2) Get the Oasis Card.