Care Credit shutdown wife's account for non-use

leedspaddy

The last post in this topic was posted 1789 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So my wife had opened a care credit account 12 or 13 months ago in anticipation of using it for some dental work at the time but because she has a severe bleeding disorder, finding an oral surgeon willing to do the work turned out to be a nightmare. Add in her other chronic medical conditions and the dental work never took place and the care credit account never got used. So Synchrony closed the account in the last month. My question is once a creditor shuts down an account for non-use does that burn bridges for the foreseeable future so that she can't reapply for an account? Ironically my wife had finally got to a good enough place to set up the dental work for this summer and was going to use her account. It appears from some folks on here that Care Credit maybe not the best way to go to finance medical expenses but the only attraction for me was the no interest terms. So for those of you who have care credit, if I was to apply for an account can it be used to pay for family medical / dental expenses or does it only allow for the cardholder's medical / dental expenses?

Thanks

Non-use places any credit card at risk for non-use. Interestingly, Care Credit actually warns that the account should be used at least once every 12 months "to keep the card active". Care Credit use is restricted only in terms of where it may be used. Presumably, you can pay anyone's expenses with the card.

As far as applying for a new account, an application with your wife would likely be approved, but the lender may request contact to reaffirm intended use. Another option might be for you to apply and list her as an authorized user. Care Credit also permits joint applicants.

As far as reputation goes, I regularly use the account at the vet, occasionally for copays/coinsurance for my wife and myself and, most recently, purchased Bowflex fitness equipment on the account (12-mo no interest). I've never encountered a problem and they've been flexible in granting credit line increases.

Non-use places any credit card at risk for non-use. Interestingly, Care Credit actually warns that the account should be used at least once every 12 months "to keep the card active". Care Credit use is restricted only in terms of where it may be used. Presumably, you can pay anyone's expenses with the card.

As far as applying for a new account, an application with your wife would likely be approved, but the lender may request contact to reaffirm intended use. Another option might be for you to apply and list her as an authorized user. Care Credit also permits joint applicants.

As far as reputation goes, I regularly use the account at the vet, occasionally for copays/coinsurance for my wife and myself and, most recently, purchased Bowflex fitness equipment on the account (12-mo no interest). I've never encountered a problem and they've been flexible in granting credit line increases.

Thanks for the reply........it was very helpful and informative.I think I will apply for an account closer to the time my wife needs it. Let me ask you, I couldn't find it on their website but does Sychrony have cost levels to determine the length of the interest free repayment terms????????..........so like with my Amazon if I spend $299 I get 6 months to repay or if I spend $599 I get 12 months to repay interest free...... (also never thought it could be used for bowflex!!!!!!!)

1 can of dog food at a vet would have kept the card alive.

Or a six pack of PBR at Rite Aid

I didn't know the card worked at Rite Aid (don't have it). But if it works at Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens etc then it's obviously easier to keep open.

1 can of dog food at a vet would have kept the card alive.

Or a six pack of PBR at Rite Aid
I didn't know the card worked at Rite Aid (don't have it). But if it works at Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens etc then it's obviously easier to keep open.

They only have an agreement with Rite Aid. No go at Walgreens and CVS.

I'm a fiduciary for a woman who used to have a CareCredit account. They shut down her card after it wasn't used for over a year. There were no other late payments or other AA on the account, just simply closed down for failure to use it. If you wish to maintain CareCredit, a once-yearly charge to the account is a good practice. I'd say that goes for most issuers, even though I've had some bank cards I haven't charged to in two-three years, but even a small transaction here and there greatly reduces your chances of getting closed out.

The last post in this topic was posted 1789 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.