Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Collection Advice

There are 3 collection accounts showing on my Experian report. They are all under $300 , so I can pay then IF need be - but as always I came here to get sound advice first.

I know collection agencies are the Devil & I need to secure PFD letters IF I go that route.

1.This is a home phone service that I had around 2012 - I am not sure if the OC or a different CA had this on my report years ago - but I know CB helped me to remove it.

I read that its a good idea to save all paper reports in case they are reinserted, I had them in a storage unit that flooded.

Account Name TRIDENT ASSET MANAGEME Account # XXXX Original Creditor VERIZON Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened Jun 1, 2015 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Jul 1, 2015 Balance $43 Balance Updated Dec 20, 2017 Original Balance $43

2:

Account Name EASTERN REVENUE INC Account # XXXX Original Creditor ESSEX COUNTY COL Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened Feb 1, 2016 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Mar 1, 2016 Balance $298 Balance Updated Jan 22, 2018 Original Balance $298

3. This also reports on TransUnion.

Account Name AARGON COLLECTION AGEN Account # XXXX Original Creditor P S E G SERVICES CORPORATION Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened May 1, 2017 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Jun 1, 2017 Balance $235 Balance Updated Jan 7, 2018 Original Balance $235

I have no collections reporting on Equifax.

There are 3 collection accounts showing on my Experian report. They are all under $300 , so I can pay then IF need be - but as always I came here to get sound advice first.

I know collection agencies are the Devil & I need to secure PFD letters IF I go that route.

1.This is a home phone service that I had around 2012 - I am not sure if the OC or a different CA had this on my report years ago - but I know CB helped me to remove it.

I read that its a good idea to save all paper reports in case they are reinserted, I had them in a storage unit that flooded.

Account Name TRIDENT ASSET MANAGEME Account # XXXX Original Creditor VERIZON Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened Jun 1, 2015 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Jul 1, 2015 Balance $43 Balance Updated Dec 20, 2017 Original Balance $43

A JDB not a CA &, it's past the SOL

2:

Account Name EASTERN REVENUE INC Account # XXXX Original Creditor ESSEX COUNTY COL Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened Feb 1, 2016 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Mar 1, 2016 Balance $298 Balance Updated Jan 22, 2018 Original Balance $298

A JDB not a CA &, and if this is taxes or traffic fines or tickets, it shouldn't be on your reports ( limited to credit transactions now ) and easy to delete - what did you owe to Essex County?

Account Name AARGON COLLECTION AGEN Account # XXXX Original Creditor P S E G SERVICES CORPORATION Company Sold - Account Type Collection Department / Agency / Attorney Date Opened May 1, 2017 Account Status Closed Payment Status Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department Status Updated Jun 1, 2017 Balance $235 Balance Updated Jan 7, 2018 Original Balance $235

what's the DOFD on this - date opened is when the CA first acquired the account, not when the OC listed the DOFD. this is a Utility account ?

A JDB not a CA &, it's past the SOL

So I send a FOAD letter?

2:

A JDB not a CA &, and if this is taxes or traffic fines or tickets, it shouldn't be on your reports ( limited to credit transactions now ) and easy to delete - what did you owe to Essex County?

I believe this is Essex County College - When I attended I had Financial aid & even received a check back at the end of the semester. For all three of these accounts I never got a dun letter. My mailing address is a PO BOX.. I believe all of them have have old addresses that I've deleted off my report.

what's the DOFD on this - date opened is when the CA first acquired the account, not when the OC listed the DOFD. this is a Utility account ?

Yes, this is an account from PSE&G. When I log into my online account with them, It shoes a zero balance & my "move out date" is 1-28 - 16.

This is from TransUnion:

AARGON AGENCY INC #424608****

8668 SPRING MOUNTAIN RD

LAS VEGAS, NV 89117

(800) 326-7118

Placed for

collection:

05/05/2017

Responsibility: Individual Account

Account Type: Open Account

Loan Type: COLLECTION

AGENCY/ATTORNEY

Balance: $235

Date Updated: 01/07/2018

Original Amount: $235

Original Creditor: P S E G SERVICES

CORPORATION

(Utilities)

Past Due: >$235<

Pay Status: >In Collection<

Remarks: >PLACED FOR COLLECTION<

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 12/2022

for a $43 collection from 2012. you could try a strong DV

for Essex County College, you should send a letter to the college it's a state run institution and there is a 10 year SOL on State actions

for the utility, I would send a letter (or email customer service since you can still log in? _ to the utility Co asking what this debt is with the Collection agency as your account indicated $0 balance due

( take a screen shot of that )

For the Verizon account, their contract contains a very interesting clause. I would ask them to make a settlement offer in your favor, then file for arbitration because they may have violated the FDCPA by attempting to collect a debt out of SOL. (Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department) They will probably back down, then you can try to use this clause in the contract:

WE MAY, BUT ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO, MAKE A WRITTEN SETTLEMENT OFFER ANYTIME BEFORE THE ARBITRATION HEARING. THE AMOUNT OR TERMS OF ANY SETTLEMENT OFFER MAY NOT BE DISCLOSED TO THE ARBITRATOR UNTIL AFTER THE ARBITRATOR ISSUES AN AWARD ON THE CLAIM. IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THE OFFER AND THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU AN AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT'S MORE THAN OUR OFFER BUT LESS THAN $5,000, OR IF WE DON'T MAKE YOU AN OFFER, AND THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY BUT LESS THAN $5,000, THEN WE AGREE TO PAY YOU $5,000 INSTEAD OF THE AMOUNT AWARDED. IN THAT CASE WE ALSO AGREE TO PAY ANY REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES AND EXPENSES, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE LAW REQUIRES IT FOR YOUR CASE. IF THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU MORE THAN $5,000, THEN WE WILL PAY YOU ONLY THAT AMOUNT.

for a $43 collection from 2012. you could try a strong DV
for Essex County College, you should send a letter to the college it's a state run institution and there is a 10 year SOL on State actions
for the utility, I would send a letter (or email customer service since you can still log in? _ to the utility Co asking what this debt is with the Collection agency as your account indicated $0 balance due
( take a screen shot of that )

*I contacted Essex County College & the bursars office called me stating the balance was from the Fall of 2008 semester and I should contact the CA because that's who has the account. I asked her what does my financial aid package show as far as payments & she said there is no info in the system because of the length of time that has passed. She would not give me her name.

I see you stated state institutions have a 10 yr SOL , which will be this year.

*I printed out the account section that shows there is a $0 balance and sent a letter to PSE&G because there is no option to email them.

* I just have to work on the Verizon account. LegalEagle suggested I ask for a settlement then bring up the above clause... Will a JDB offer a settlement for a mere $43? & that clause is in Verizons contract not the JDB's right? So how will I use that against them?

Under common law, a JDB is an Assignee who steps into the shoes of the OC they now hold the contract , it was assigned. ( if they can prove with evidence it was a legal assignment )

therefore all the terms and conditions of the Original contract, including Arbitration applies

For the Verizon account, their contract contains a very interesting clause. I would ask them to make a settlement offer in your favor, then file for arbitration because they may have violated the FDCPA by attempting to collect a debt out of SOL. (Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department) They will probably back down, then you can try to use this clause in the contract:

WE MAY, BUT ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO, MAKE A WRITTEN SETTLEMENT OFFER ANYTIME BEFORE THE ARBITRATION HEARING. THE AMOUNT OR TERMS OF ANY SETTLEMENT OFFER MAY NOT BE DISCLOSED TO THE ARBITRATOR UNTIL AFTER THE ARBITRATOR ISSUES AN AWARD ON THE CLAIM. IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THE OFFER AND THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU AN AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT'S MORE THAN OUR OFFER BUT LESS THAN $5,000, OR IF WE DON'T MAKE YOU AN OFFER, AND THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY BUT LESS THAN $5,000, THEN WE AGREE TO PAY YOU $5,000 INSTEAD OF THE AMOUNT AWARDED. IN THAT CASE WE ALSO AGREE TO PAY ANY REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES AND EXPENSES, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE LAW REQUIRES IT FOR YOUR CASE. IF THE ARBITRATOR AWARDS YOU MORE THAN $5,000, THEN WE WILL PAY YOU ONLY THAT AMOUNT.

Thanks L. Eagle! Do I send a PFD letter & then when they do offer how do I bring up this clause?

Under common law, a JDB is an Assignee who steps into the shoes of the OC they now hold the contract , it was assigned. ( if they can prove with evidence it was a legal assignment )

therefore all the terms and conditions of the Original contract, including Arbitration applies

Thank you, Since the Essex county account is from Fall 2008 , how does the 10 year SOL apply?

it will be past the SOL in the Fall of 2018 if that's when it was due and you didn't make a payment

However, it's past the FCRA limit already ( 2009 + 7 years is 2016) and

you could send the CA a intent to sue for FDCPA violations of false credit reporting

and maybe you could workout a settlement rather that you both incur lawyers fees.

Thanks L. Eagle! Do I send a PFD letter & then when they do offer how do I bring up this clause?

Thank you, Since the Essex county account is from Fall 2008 , how does the 10 year SOL apply?

File for arbitration per the contract. It's either JAMS or AAA. Either way, that is the beginning of the end for any debt buyer.

File for arbitration per the contract. It's either JAMS or AAA. Either way, that is the beginning of the end for any debt buyer.

Trident Asset Management only includes the partial account number on Experian report. On both the Verizon and ADR.org site. it says I have to have the contract. How do I obtain that info?

from Verizon :

How do I begin an arbitration?

• If you and Verizon have agreed to arbitrate (either through the Terms of Service or mutual agreement), the first step is to provide notice to Verizon by completing the Notice of Dispute Form, found here or obtained from the Verizon Dispute Resolution Manager, One Verizon Way, VC54N100, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-1097 or NoticeOfDispute@verizon.com. The completed form should be sent to the attention of the Verizon Dispute Resolution Manager according to the directions on the form at least 30 days in advance of initiating the arbitration. The arbitration will take place in the county of your billing address, unless we agree otherwise.

• If your claim is for more than $10,000, the AAA's arbitration rules will apply. In these cases, the party losing the arbitration can ask for a panel of three new arbitrators to review the award
    • For claims of $10,000 or less, the party bringing the claim can choose: (i) Arbitration. If you select arbitration, you may choose to have the arbitration carried out so that the arbitrator will base his or her decision solely on documents submitted by the parties, or the arbitration may be conducted through an in-person hearing, or by phone call; or (ii) To bring an individual action in small claim's court

Even if you complete the Notice of Dispute Form, you must contact the AAA and follow its procedures to initiate the arbitration. You may begin an arbitration process by contacting the AAA for the proper forms. The completed forms should be returned directly to the AAA. Please make sure you include the name and address of the Verizon Dispute Resolution Manager, One Verizon Way, VC54N090, Basking Ridge, NJ, 07920-1097. The AAA will assign someone to manage your case. You will be contacted with instructions for continuing the arbitration process. Be sure to keep a copy of everything you send to the AAA.

Verizon will reimburse you for the fees the AAA may charge in connection with the arbitration of your dispute. If you cannot afford to pay the filing fee directly to the AAA, Verizon will do so if you provide us with a signed written statement of your situation. If the arbitration proceeds, we'll also pay any administrative and arbitrator fees charged later, as well as for any appeal to a panel of three new arbitrators (if the arbitration award is appealable under the Terms of Service.) You may obtain procedures, rules and fee information from the AAA (www.adr.org).

As of 5/31/18 the only collection reporting is the verizon. I filed for arbitration & a Verizon Employee contacts me via phone saying she will completely delete the negative tradeline if I would agree to sign a statement withdrawing the arbitration.

I replied saying I know about their clause & the whole reason I had to cancel the account in 2014 was because of the horrible service & I included screenshots of the over 26 emails to the Verizon executive office & myself in 2014. This was her response :

Good Afternoon,

How much are you willing to settle this claim for?

Sincerely,

Stacy W.

Verizon Executive Relations Team

——

What should my response be?

As of 5/31/18 the only collection reporting is the verizon. I filed for arbitration & a Verizon Employee contacts me via phone saying she will completely delete the negative tradeline if I would agree to sign a statement withdrawing the arbitration.

I replied saying I know about their clause & the whole reason I had to cancel the account in 2014 was because of the horrible service & I included screenshots of the over 26 emails to the Verizon executive office & myself in 2014. This was her response :

Good Afternoon,

Sincerely,

Stacy W.

——

If I'm reading this correctly you are debating whether to pay $43 or offer something less. Good lord, man, offer to pay the $43 and move on!!

If I'm reading this correctly you are debating whether to pay $43 or offer something less. Good lord, man, offer to pay the $43 and move on!!

Really. Thats a lot of effort for such a relatively small amount. It appears they're willing to PFD and want to know what the OP feels is a reasonable settlement amount. I'd offer $20 with PFD, and be done with this once and for all.

Good Afternoon,

Sincerely,

Stacy W.

——

No apparently you’re not reading this correctly because that’s not what’s in debate at all.

Good Afternoon,

Sincerely,

Stacy W.

——

No apparently you’re not reading this correctly because that’s not what’s in debate at all.

Well, that clears it up.

You can't file for arbitration once they have a judgement.

Yes you can. Arb covers anything at any time related to the account, just like the FDCPA.

:o

Oh my! This changes the game...

Yes you can. Arb covers anything at any time related to the account, just like the FDCPA.

You made a step-by-step guide on how to do this, right? I think it is in the other forum?

Verizon doesn’t have a judgment against me.

Verizon offered to just delete the tradeline in exchange for him dropping the arbitration, then after he sent them more info, they asked how much he wants them to pay him as a settlement. Why not ask for the full amount possible? It sounds like $5k?