Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Medical Collections - Spouses

Hi There! I will be making 2 threads to keep it simple and from being confusing. I am starting with my husband's medical collections first. So far we have:

1. Received all three hard copy reports

2. Opted Out

3. Ordered MIB (not received yet)

4. Contacted old insurance and ordered EOBs for the timelines I tried to calculate based on dates from the reports.

5. Did NOT do the address removal as all the collections are tied to current address so it seemed a moot point.

I have been through this before and have reread the guides/letters. My only concern with a good chunk of our medical collections is they are all with the same CA which is local to the medical group/hospital where we were. I have a feeling they are only "assigned" these and are not JDB's. Luckily on his, some are due to fall off next year. This will also be the first disputes as we have not started cleanup regarding other items. I figured it would be best to do these first.

CA #1 (local)

1. 91 - RMG - DOFD: 7/12 (TU, EQ, EX)
  2. 152 - RMG - DOFD: 7/12 (TU, EQ, EX)
  3. 175 - RMG - DOFD: 7/12 (TU, EQ, EX)
  4. 59 - RMG - DOFD: 9/12 (TU, EQ, EX)
  5. 85 - RMG - DOFD: 6/12 (TU, EQ, EX)
  6. 90 - RMG - DOFD: 10/13 (TU, EQ, EX)
  7. 75 - RMG - DOFD: 9/14 (TU, EQ, EX)
  8. 158 - RMG - DOFD: 9/14 (TU, EQ, EX)
  9. 250 - RMG - DOFD: 9/14 (TU, EQ, EX)
  10. 388 - RMG - DOFD: 6/15 (TU, EQ, EX)

CA #2 (not local)

1. 140 - Medical - Due to remain until 6/21 (TU, EX)
  2. 140 - FOAA - Due to remain until 7/20 (TU, EX)

I am gearing up to send the initial dispute letter to the CRA's. I just wanted to verify these are outside SOL: was in Virginia but back in California for almost 3 years now. I will keep this updated as I progress along so WhyChat can make sure I don't mess up :)

The MIB is only needed if you have been the victim of ID theft/fraud or have a VERY common name.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Please do not start separate threads for your husband and yourself. You can do it all in one thread by identifying the accounts referred to by #1= husband-#2 =wife.

This will save me a lot of extra work.

The issues of whether or not the reporting CAs are in a CURRENT business relationship should be resolved with the initial dispute letter. If you get a response from the CA as a result of the initial dispute letter to the CRAs then you can pretty well presume they are in a current business relationship. A CA does not have to be a "JDB" to lack authorization to collect or report on a medical account.

As to the legal SOL for being sued-- California has a 4 year SOL for medical accounts;

https://whychat.me/States/state-ca.html

It also has some VERY strict laws about CAs reporting or collecting;

Ok :) I will keep them all here! I did the MIB just in case but I was not hanging my hat on it or anything. It’s the EOB’s I want and that took some finagling to get back that far. Insurance lady said they would mail out today so got some time before they arrive.

As far as mine goes, I ordered hard copy reports on Jan 13... Experian sent theirs and I have had it about a week but nothing yet from TU or EQ so mine are in holding.

His: I will be writing the disputes tonight to go out tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update His:

All disputes were mailed and were received yesterday 2/5. I received his EOB’s so will have those on hand. Now we will sit back and wait the 30 days for the disputes to run.

Update Mine:

Finally received TU report so I now have 2 of 3. I called Equifax yesterday to find out why they did not mail my report when I paid for it.. let’s just say that was probably the dumbest phone call I have had in a long time. After arguing with them for almost 30 min they are “going to resend it free of charge” So I will wait for that, then start my disputes.

That’s where I am at so far lol

Hi Whychat :) it has been a bit and all this got left hanging lol I broke my ankle in April and had surgery (no medical bill from that lol) so took a few months to recover. I am going to order a fresh copy of my reports this week.

Where I left off:

Me - disputes were sent to CRA’s and the results were weird. Some dropped off, some didn’t and looks like TU removed them all but I want to make sure first.

Him: disputes were sent and same results however it appears more remain on his files.

I did not receive any communication from the CA’s after this dispute. I know it has been 6 months since these initial disputes so just wanted to know where I need to start from again.

Thanks!

Sorry for your injury--happy there are no bills. ( did you get EOMBs and make SURE nothing was left hanging?)

Yes you have to start over.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Make sure you avoid phone calls or any internet correspondence or inquiries with the CRAs, once they have you in their automated computer system it is more difficult to get them to use snail mail for responses.

When you are sending the initial dispute to the CRAs make sure you are using the data from each report exactly as it is shown and send them a copy of the pages with the accounts circled in red.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Sorry for your injury--happy there are no bills. ( did you get EOMBs and make SURE nothing was left hanging?)

Yes you have to start over.

Yup sure there are no bills :) it is Kaiser so I had a $40 copay for surgery lol

I can start over, no problem :) will start that as soon as my new reports get here!

Question before I start!! Here is where I would be starting from (mine only, haven’t dug up spouses yet)

TU: ZERO they deleted them all last time
EQ: 5 remain all from the same company
EX: 1 remains that is the same as one on EQ

So I assume I would start with another dispute letter to EQ, EX and not worry about TU since they removed them all already.

My other question comes into play after the disputes and I send the letter to the CA’s. Since the accounts are all with one place, do I just send one letter referencing all accounts that are listed or send one letter per each account?

Thanks again!

OK....   now that life has settled back down into some normalcy... I now have the time to start tackling...      

RECAP:   Numerous amounts of medical collections for both myself and husband...     Did initial dispute in March 2018 and am now starting back at square 1 with what remained from that.    I have my new initial letters ready to go and send out on 11/1.

Here is what remains (as you can see most of them are only Equifax  😡  good to know they are just as a-holish as they were 10 years ago) 

MINE

CCP    $264.00    $264.00   (EQ, EX
CCP    $143.00    $143.00  (EQ)   
CCP    $61.00    $61.00  (EQ)
CCP    $250.00    $250.00  (EQ)
CCP    $57.00    $57.00  (EQ)

HIS 

CCS    $217.00     $217.00      (EX, TU)  
CCP     $517.00     $517.00     (EX, EQ)
CCP      $158.00     $158.00    (EQ)
CCP     $91.00     $91.00     (EQ)
CCP     $152.00     $152.00     (EQ)
CCP      $175.00     $175.00     (EQ)
CCP     $59.00     $59.00     (EQ)
CCP      $85.00     $85.00     (EQ)
CCP     $90.00     $90.00     (EQ)
CCP     $75.00     $75.00     (EQ)
CCP     $250.00     $250.00    (EQ)

So here I will start again and be able to update as it continues!   

Glad you are all well. Make sure you keep separate files for you and your husband. When posting here you can refer to your own as "her's" and your husband's as "his" so that neither of us get confused. 

Good Morning Whychat!  :)   I am back and starting to tackle these this week.   Let's just say my previous attempts above, yielded nothing with the CRA's except TU lol  I am going through our current reports now to see what remains medical wise.  Sorry I left this hanging,  I had brain surgery in May then moved end of June to a different state (again!)  so now that we are getting settled, I can dig through all this again.  I had reordered reports and EQ didn't send them again...   so will be trying to get that one AGAIN.    for record keeping:

1.  I have opted out

2.  Old addresses are removed from TU and EQ from what I can tell

Once I get through all these pages then I can send the initial dispute to the CRA's reporting  :)

WOW!! You certainly have had a bad run of medical problems.Hope you are feeling better.

Make sure you keep your and your spouse's files separated and let us know the results of the initial disputes before doing anything else.

28 minutes ago, Why Chat said:

WOW!! You certainly have had a bad run of medical problems.Hope you are feeling better.  - I promise I am good.. this latest surgery stemmed from the rupture in 2014 so now they went in and clipped the aneurysm so hopefully I will be DONE with all of that from now on  lol   

Make sure you keep your and your spouse's files separated and let us know the results of the initial disputes before doing anything else. Absolutely, I keep everything separate :)   I will update once I send the inititial dispute and the results.

Ok, so I have gathered our reports and wanted to mark down what we are dealing with, this will help you and I from having to scroll up and down all the time lol   

MINE:

EX & EQ

#1 - $264

EQ Only

#2  -  $143

#3  -  $61

#4  -  $250

#5  -  $57

HIS:

EX & EQ

#1 - $388

EQ Only

#2  -  $250

#3  -  $158

#4  -  $75

#5  -  $90

*All of his on EQ have the "Consumer disputes" from the first time I sent the dispute in.  The ones for me all stem from the emergency surgery for ruptured aneurysm in July 2014.   His range in dates but definitely from 2014/ 2015.  Once the items I ordered from USPS get here, I will get the disputes out in the mail and update here :)

So before I even big I have a snag that I wanted to run by you Whychat.  I only have a laser printer so no way to print in color.  I do not mind writing it outby hand but I would need to get some blue paper.  My question is if I got blue paper and handwrote in blue ink would that be OK? I just wanted to verify first :)

Go to an office supply store like Staples and buy a package of cloud printed blue paper- that will work best. Use a blue ball point.

Edited by Why Chat

27 minutes ago, Why Chat said:

Go to an office supply store like Staples and buy a package of cloud printed blue paper- that will work best.

absolutely!  Will do that this weekend  :)    

GM Whychat  :)  The only update I have to the initial dispute letters that were received by EQ, EX on Aug 15 is that we BOTH received a letter from EX stating they won't investigate blah blah....   the norm for them.   I have not heard a peep from EQ.   I guess I am just stuck waiting some more to see if anything happens in the next week or two  :(

Ok so medical DV's were sent and they were delivered on 9/9/19..  the same CA for his & mine so i sent 2 envelopes one for each of us with 2 DV's in each (one for EQ and one for EX)

mailed the followup letters to CRA's today.. hope I am on the right track lol

So update on what has happened, I sent the DV's and the followup disputes back in September. The results of the disputes were nothing, they either remained for us both OR was told "not reinvestigating". All med collections are still on EQ and EX for us.

The DV's got answered by the CA in the fashion I assumed they would.. They responded to each of us (same CA for both and all accounts) with a letter stating they are assigned by provider AND sent what appears to be screenprints of providers UNIX billing system that shows amounts charged, insurance and remaining after insurance. I do not have EOB's at this point (these are from 2014) but the amounts do line up with what I remember.

These have been with the same CA since 2014 and never switched any hands. The CA is local to the provider and where I used to live and I believe is their contracted CA for the med provider in the area..

At this point, I don't know what to do lol Nothing they have sent shows anything current as their screenprints were from 2014 so I am kind of stuck now even though I feel they still have a relationship with the providers considering what I know about both in that area... Any thoughts?