Sign in to follow this  
Surreal Awakening

Disco talking to spouse about my account

So my wife was home from work today and she said Disco called the house repeatedly. She finally answered and they asked for me. She told them I wasn’t home, so they asked for my spouse and she told them she was. With no further verification of identity, they proceeded to thank her for the payment that posted to my account today, tell her my balance, my utilization %, and remaining amount due, and ask her if she would like to pay that amount over the phone right away. She informed them that she doesn’t handle my payments and dismissed them.

I have nothing to hide from my wife, but we do maintain separate finances. What bothers me is more the principle. My wife isn’t identified anywhere on my account. Even if she was, they spoke to her openly about my account details without ANY verification of who she was, or even that she knows MY personal details. She could have been a roommate, ex, babysitter, etc. I should also say that I am current with Disco, and my payment due date is several weeks away still, so I’m not sure what the point of the repeated calls is. I do believe it was legitimately Disco calling because the account details they provided (payment info and balance due) were accurate.

Did Disco violate laws by disclosing my account info to my spouse or failing to substantiate the identity of the person they were talking to, or are they just playing fast and loose with the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, my understanding is that Maryland is not a community property state.

They didn’t leave a number with her, and no message on any of their other calls.

What is Disco? If it's an original creditor the FEDCPA does not apply to their collection tactics. If they are a collection agency, the FDCPA allows them to discuss your account with a spouse.Most state laws mirror the FDCPA,

they proceeded to thank her for the payment that posted to my account today, tell her my balance, my utilization %, and remaining amount due, and ask her if she would like to pay that amount over the phone right away. She informed them that she doesnt handle my payments and dismissed them.

I'd be more concerned with future Disco AA than I would that they spoke with your spouse.

Does that card and/or the rest of your cards have high utilization? Have you missed any payments?

Edited by Konrad2012

they proceeded to thank her for the payment that posted to my account today, tell her my balance, my utilization %, and remaining amount due, and ask her if she would like to pay that amount over the phone right away. She informed them that she doesnt handle my payments and dismissed them.

I'd be more concerned with future Disco AA than I would that they spoke with your spouse.

Does that card and/or the rest of your cards have high utilization? Have you missed any payments?

+1

I'd be concerned about the fact that they called, not their protocol.

Just called them. They said they were calling to sign me up for autopay and give me a $30 credit for signing up for it. I have payments scheduled from my bank bill payer, but $30 is $30, so I'll take it. As far as the the talking to my wife thing goes, the guy seemed mildly concerned, but not enough to stray too far off his script about the autopay, so despite saying he was taking notes on it, I'm sure it will go nowhere.

Just called them. They said they were calling to sign me up for autopay and give me a $30 credit for signing up for it. I have payments scheduled from my bank bill payer, but $30 is $30, so I'll take it. As far as the the talking to my wife thing goes, the guy seemed mildly concerned, but not enough to stray too far off his script about the autopay, so despite saying he was taking notes on it, I'm sure it will go nowhere.

Really strange. Never heard of a creditor calling up and offering cash to sign up for monthly autopay. For some reason, with the AA, you are in a high risk category and this may be some sort of risk mitigation.

Really strange. Never heard of a creditor calling up and offering cash to sign up for monthly autopay. For some reason, with the AA, you are in a high risk category and this may be some sort of risk mitigation.

Yep. OP's credit profile is throwing up red flags across multiple FI's. And from the lower tier FI's at that. I'd be spending my time pulling reports and checking them and figuring out ways to mitigate future AA than stressing about Disco legally talking to my spouse.

Edited by Konrad2012

So my wife was home from work today and she said Disco called the house repeatedly. She finally answered and they asked for me. She told them I wasn’t home, so they asked for my spouse and she told them she was. With no further verification of identity, they proceeded to thank her for the payment that posted to my account today, tell her my balance, my utilization %, and remaining amount due, and ask her if she would like to pay that amount over the phone right away. She informed them that she doesn’t handle my payments and dismissed them.

I have nothing to hide from my wife, but we do maintain separate finances. What bothers me is more the principle. My wife isn’t identified anywhere on my account. Even if she was, they spoke to her openly about my account details without ANY verification of who she was, or even that she knows MY personal details. She could have been a roommate, ex, babysitter, etc. I should also say that I am current with Disco, and my payment due date is several weeks away still, so I’m not sure what the point of the repeated calls is. I do believe it was legitimately Disco calling because the account details they provided (payment info and balance due) were accurate.

Did Disco violate laws by disclosing my account info to my spouse or failing to substantiate the identity of the person they were talking to, or are they just playing fast and loose with the rules?

When I worked for a collection company we were allowed to speak with spouses and share info. It depends on your state laws but then more than likely didn't violate any laws.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

justin, that must have been a few years ago. There are privacy laws now that prevent collectors from discussing a debt with anyone else.

It's legal See:

Maryland Fair Debt Collection Practices Act § 14-202. Proscribed conduct

(5) Except as permitted by statute, disclose or threaten to disclose to a person other than the debtor or his spouse or, if the debtor is a minor, his parent, information which affects the debtor’s reputation, whether or not for credit worthiness, with knowledge that the other person does not have a legitimate business need for the information;

15 USCS § 1692c

1692c. Communication in connection with debt collection

(d) “Consumer” defined. For the purpose of this section, the term “consumer” includes the consumer’s spouse, parent (if the consumer is a minor), guardian, executor, or administrator.