Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

As of 2/1/18 You Cannot Pay Your Subprime Discovery Bill With Subprime Cash

Excerpt from a notice in my Discovery inbox about changes to my account terms:

IMPORTANT NOTICE OF CHANGES TO YOUR ACCOUNT TERMS

Effective February 1, 2018 , we are changing the following provisions in your Agreement: Making Payments, Automatic Billing Arrangements, Our Communications with You, Arbitration and Your Billing Rights.

Making Payments: We are letting you know that we do not accept cash as a payment method, and that third party payments are subject to adjustment.

We are replacing the first bullet point in the Payment Instructions paragraph with the following:

- "You must pay in U.S. dollars. Please do not send cash. Sending cash is not allowed. All checks

must be drawn on funds on deposit in the U.S."

Excerpt from a notice in my Discovery inbox about changes to my account terms:

IMPORTANT NOTICE OF CHANGES TO YOUR ACCOUNT TERMS

Effective February 1, 2018 , we are changing the following provisions in your Agreement: Making Payments, Automatic Billing Arrangements, Our Communications with You, Arbitration and Your Billing Rights.

Making Payments: We are letting you know that we do not accept cash as a payment method, and that third party payments are subject to adjustment.

We are replacing the first bullet point in the Payment Instructions paragraph with the following:

- "You must pay in U.S. dollars. Please do not send cash. Sending cash is not allowed. All checks

must be drawn on funds on deposit in the U.S."

How about Bitcoin?

Who pays a credit card bill with cash?

I would think it's apparent that some subprime customers of the subprime Discover Financial Services were paying cash.

Is this an option with other lenders?

I don't have any other subprime lenders, so I cannot answer that.

Isn't it technically illegal to refuse cash? IE This note is valid for all debts public and private or am I mistaken?

I imagine if you have a credit card with BOA, Wells Fargo, PNC, etc, you could go into a branch and pay a credit card bill with cash.

Isn't it technically illegal to refuse cash? IE This note is valid for all debts public and private or am I mistaken?

Cash is just printed paper notes, doesn't really mean anything.

I would think it's apparent that some subprime customers of the subprime Discover Financial Services were paying cash.

I don't have any other subprime lenders, so I cannot answer that.

You'd be surprised.

I've known people who do this. Generally the bank will say cash isn't allowed as a sort of disclaimer should the money get lost in the mail. But if they do receive it, they post the payment to your account. Can't see where they'd have any other option, actually.

Its this new thing with money laundering I can't deposit cash in someones account unless I'm on it and if I am not they want my social security number to do it..............no thanks. we have our business account at us bank and I am not on it as a signer and I went to make a cash deposit and that is what they told me so I just went to the atm and made the deposit.

It just means you shouldn't mail cash. That's not the smartest idea ever. No audit trail.

They always used to say that the mailman would know there was cash in there and keep the envelope for himself. Not only that, but when mailing cash, you're trusting in the good and honest nature of where you're mailing it to actually credit it.

On the statements I used to mail before I began just paying everything over the web and from my bank account, they always used to say do not mail cash.

It just means you shouldn't mail cash. That's not the smartest idea ever. No audit trail.

They always used to say that the mailman would know there was cash in there and keep the envelope for himself. Not only that, but when mailing cash, you're trusting in the good and honest nature of where you're mailing it to actually credit it.

On the statements I used to mail before I began just paying everything over the web and from my bank account, they always used to say do not mail cash.

Exactly. I know this is the obvious statement of the week. If it gets lost or stolen, you can't stop payment on cash and your liability protection = 0.

Citi at an ATM. My employer sometimes reimburses me for expenses with cash, and I just go pay it at a Citi ATM.

I imagine if you have a credit card with BOA, Wells Fargo, PNC, etc, you could go into a branch and pay a credit card bill with cash.

US Bank allows in-branch payments by check for US bank credit cards. I never tried cash, but I would think they would accept it at the teller window. You get a receipt just like when you make a deposit to a checking or savings account, except it has the credit card acct number on it, of course.