Sign in to follow this  
nosup4u

Would the banks survive if everyone on the planet

Maxed out all their credit / and credit cards in 1 day just a thought of how the economy would react as i honestly don't know the answer

Yes, banks would survive. The only real problem that banks have is when everyone goes and pulls their funds out. Many banks have long loans out (car loans, mortgages), and cannot readily raise enough cash to contend with a bank run.

Yes, banks would survive. The only real problem that banks have is when everyone goes and pulls their funds out. Many banks have long loans out (car loans, mortgages), and cannot readily raise enough cash to contend with a bank run.

Not a problem. Banks get all they need from the Fed which specifically is there to provide cash when banks see more withdrawn that they have cash on hand. Banks get shut down for balance sheet problems, not liquidity problems.

The bank failed because of the balance sheet which was riven with junk debt. So they couldn't get cash from the Fed. The run came after this announcement and the FDIC stepped in. They had the cash.

On Sept. 11, Moody’s issued its rating: It downgraded WaMu’s debt to junk status,

The Fed doesn't bail out impaired banks. The FDIC liquidates them..

Well, Washington Mutual was a stupid bank anyway. They offered the special overdraft protection in which you could write a check for more than you had, and pay it back later? I called customer service years ago and asked how much time I would have to pay it back. I was told 30 days. Some 28 days after I overdrafted my account, I showed up with the money to bring it current, but I was told that the account had already been charged off and sent to the Chex system. WaMu refused to take my money.

What kind of an salamander has someone show up with cash for a debt and refuses to take it? I'm glad WaMu failed, but remember that the primary reason WaMu failed was because many businesses that banked with WaMu and had accounts with balances greater than $100k decided to move because FDIC only covered $100k. Now, I believe that FDIC covers up to $250k

No matter what "mischief" people might do, banks and government would meet in secret to undo it.

You're basically asking whether unarmed people could destabilize a well-armed government. And while that is a possibility, as a practical matter the government has a lot of leverage in far too many areas of everyday life.

Maxed out all their credit / and credit cards in 1 day just a thought of how the economy would react as i honestly don't know the answer

Yes, the banks would be fine. Banks would profit over the interest fees. The economy and stores would benefit from increased product sales/profits. Stores would hire more people. But, it’s obviously not going to happen, so that’s like asking “what if a unicorn goes and puts cotton candy all over every building in the world in one day?” Not. Gonna. Happen. :D

There’s literally nothing that everyone on the planet would do in 1 day. Or 1 year. Ever.

Everyone going to pull CASH out of banks the same day would harm the economy... but obviously not everyone is going to do that. Few will in a developed nation. If we’re talking in Venezuela or a “seashell” country, there’s thousands of things that can throw the entire economy and the entire country into turmoil regardless.