Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

There is a chill in the air in Mudland, so the time is right to get out of here for a while.

Today is MUD-DFW-SAN.

I originally booked this with a ~2:45 layover, which would have made a Centurion Lounge visit almost certain, despite the two train rides that always seem to be required (I almost never arrive at, or depart from, Terminal D).

I won't see the reported overcrowding at the CL firsthand, however, since I was able to do a same-day flight change and get on an earlier connecting flight that will shorten my DFW stop to 1:04.  (The fare was almost $100 higher for the earlier connection when I booked the ticket, so I opted for the lower fare/longer layover, and took the chance that a same-day flight change would work... which thankfully it did.)

Assuming no gate changes I will be arriving and departing from Terminal C, so it looks like a short stop at the Admirals Club in C will be the lounge visit for today.  I have my TV-B-Gone ready.

Like the CL, the Priority Pass choices (The Club in D, Minute Suites in A and D) are also too far away to visit in the hour that I have between flights. 

The Admirals Club in D is closed/under construction, which is immaterial for today, but I mention it as a point of interest.

For more variety I've been pre-ordering the meals for people with special dietary requirements.  Breakfast today on the MUD-DFW segment:

t9Y0Mhi.png

Edited by cv91915

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

There is a chill in the air in Mudland, so the time is right to get out of here for a while.

Today is MUD-DFW-SAN.

I originally booked this with a ~2:45 layover, which would have made a Centurion Lounge visit almost certain, despite the two train rides that always seem to be required (I almost never arrive at, or depart from, Terminal D).

I won't see the reported overcrowding at the CL firsthand, however, since I was able to do a same-day flight change and get on an earlier connecting flight that will shorten my DFW stop to 1:04.  (The fare was almost $100 higher for the earlier connection when I booked the ticket, so I opted for the lower fare/longer layover, and took the chance that a same-day flight change would work... which thankfully it did.)

Assuming no gate changes I will be arriving and departing from Terminal C, so it looks like a short stop at the Admirals Club in C will be the lounge visit for today.  I have my TV-B-Gone ready.

Like the CL, the Priority Pass choices (The Club in D, Minute Suites in A and D) are also too far away to visit in the hour that I have between flights. 

The Admirals Club in D is closed/under construction, which is immaterial for today, but I mention it as a point of interest.

For more variety I've been pre-ordering the meals for people with special dietary requirements.  Breakfast today on the MUD-DFW segment:

t9Y0Mhi.png

There is 3+ hour delay on my departure, so they re-routed me through Chicago.  Even if I wasn't in Coach now, my Muzlim breakfast wouldn't have tansferred over to this flight. :( 

Unless I get on one of the standby flights out of ORD I'll be there for 4+ hours.  That would conceivably be enough time to take the bus over to the International Terminal to one of the Priority Pass lounge options, but as long as I'm on standby I'm not straying far from the domestic departures.

Unless something changes, Admirals Club it is.

Here is an updated lounge usage matrix.

I know this is getting hard to read, but the main point in choosing this layout was creating the ability to eyeball the number of cells shaded in green to assess the relative value of the lounge benefits I'm getting from each card.  

At the end of the year I'll create a more concise summary, and also post the detail in a manner that's easier to read. 

n7Lm1Gp.png

Tomorrow I'm heading to the Midwest to spend a weekend with some old friends.  

I'm leaving from San Diego and flying into Moline, Illinois (MLI), with a 0:58 connection at ORD.

I'll use the Airspace Lounge/Admirals club at SAN, using the Amex Platinum to get in (for the $10 food/beverage credit you don't get when you enter with the Citi AA Executive).  There are no Centurion Lounge or Priority Pass options at SAN.

Once at O'Hare there will be neither the ambition nor the time to head over to the International Terminal to use the Swissport or Air France/KLM lounges that can be accessed with Priority Pass, and there is no Centurion Lounge at ORD.  

Since my departure from ORD is on a small regional jet I will most likely depart from Terminal G, therefore I'll use the Admirals Club in G instead of the one at the crotch of H and K.

Below is an updated lounge matrix with anticipated details for tomorrow.

lOe4g6b.png

Travel is winding down for the year.  This is all I have left:

10/25:  SAN-MLI

10/28: ALO-MUD

11/15:  MUD-SAN

11/28:  SAN-MUD

12/05: MUD-SAN (TAD leaves for a business trip followed by 2+ weeks in Ankara right after this -- so no more MUD for me in 2018! 🕺).

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$    750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
      300 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$   600 - Signup bonus (60,000 MRs x $0.01*)
     200 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
       90 - Uber ride credits (6 x $15)
       44 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$  984  (179% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Yesterday I did two hops on American Eagle, departing Waterloo, Iowa (ALO) and connecting at ORD on the way to MUD.

ALO only had a Discover Card Lounge, which is outside the scope of this thread. 

I had originally booked a ~2:35 connection at ORD, but planned to switch to an earlier flight once I arrived.

I had just enough time at ORD to switch to the earlier flight, which was already boarding when I got there... so there was no time for visiting any of the lounges at ORD. 

If I hadn't been able to switch flights, the only practical options would have been on of the three Admirals Clubs.  ORD doesn't have a Centurion Lounge, and the Priority Pass options are both in the International Terminal, which might as well be in Iowa when you're traveling domestically.

Here is an update with October spending.

These obviously aren't my main spending cards, but I do use each from time to time. 

The heavier spending months earlier in the year are mainly from spending for the SUBs for the respective cards.

Also remember that my redemptions are far from the most lucrative (I mainly use my MRs and URs as cash toward revenue tickets on AA). 

You'll get more value if you transfer your points to, and then redeem with, Chase/Amex travel partners.

93brqFv.png

Today is MUD-SAN.  

I have a meeting in Orange County tomorrow, so this is a dual-purpose work/Thanksgiving trip to Southern California.  

TAD arrives at SAN on Thanksgiving morning, and we're celebrating the holiday at my parents' house.

MUD has no lounges, a fact I've bemoaned numerous times.

Today I'm connecting at PHX (assuming we ever get there...  we pushed back from the gate at MUD almost an hour ago, and we're still waiting to be de-iced).

PHX has no Centurion Lounge, and the only Priority Pass lounge is in Councourse B (in the corridor of B from which I almost never depart).

My connecting flight is leaving from A25, so I'll just use the Admirals Club between A19 and A21, assuming there's enough time between flights... at this rate, who knows?).  

My connection is scheduled for 1:15, but the flight was going to be 45 minutes shorter than scheduled due to very light headwinds, so if we get out of here soon we should be close to an on-time arrival at PHX.

Edited by cv91915

Pushed back from the gate 1:50 ago.  Finally getting de-iced.  :lol: 

Edited by cv91915

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Today is MUD-SAN. 

Today I'm connecting at PHX (assuming we ever get there...  we pushed back from the gate at MUD almost an hour ago, and we're still waiting to be de-iced).

I'm on the MS Coast this week.  It's 37 deg right now ...

I trust you'll fare better in SAN (forecast high, balmy 75).  Best wishes for a smooth PHX cx!

17 minutes ago, hdporter said:

I'm on the MS Coast this week.  It's 37 deg right now ...

I trust you'll fare better in SAN (forecast high, balmy 75).  Best wishes for a smooth PHX cx!

Enjoy.

We are finally en route, but my connection is down to 12 minutes.  At least I'm in row 2.  

PS: Get some heated socks for the rest of your trip!

On 11/15/2018 at 4:57 AM, cv91915 said:

Today is MUD-SAN.  

I have a meeting in Orange County tomorrow, so this is a dual-purpose work/Thanksgiving trip to Southern California.  

TAD arrives at SAN on Thanksgiving morning, and we're celebrating the holiday at my parents' house.

MUD has no lounges, a fact I've bemoaned numerous times.

PHX has no Centurion Lounge, and the only Priority Pass lounge is in Councourse B (in the corridor of B from which I almost never depart).

My connecting flight is leaving from A25, so I'll just use the Admirals Club between A19 and A21, assuming there's enough time between flights... at this rate, who knows?).  

My connection is scheduled for 1:15, but the flight was going to be 45 minutes shorter than scheduled due to very light headwinds, so if we get out of here soon we should be close to an on-time arrival at PHX.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:59 AM, cv91915 said:

Pushed back from the gate 1:50 ago.  Finally getting de-iced.  :lol: 

We finally left MUD just over two hours late (in addition to the traffic jam in the de-icing zone, they also halted all departures for about 20 minutes due to freezing rain), which made my 1:15 connection... what's the word?... insufficient preposterous...  especially since I was arriving at Concourse B and was leaving from the far corridor in A (and there is no train between concourses, just moving walkways).

Before we landed the flight attendant handed me this card, a physical acknowledgment that my 11:23 a.m. connecting flight was obviously at risk.

hnLcjPr.png

The thought of sitting at PHX for four hours was gut wrenching.  

After we landed I got a text from AA that they had confirmed me on the 4:50 pm flight (and not the 3:05).  I briefly contemplated renting a car and driving the rest of the way to San Diego.

From the time the door opened on my arriving flight until the scheduled departure for my connection I had 11 minutes.  Doors close 10 minutes before departure, so I really only had 1.

Fortunately I was seated in the second row from MUD-PHX, so exit was quick upon arrival. 

As I started on the first moving walkway in the l-o-n-g corridor that connects the A and B gates they were already announcing last call for boarding -- and called me by name.  

I ran almost the entire way, and thanks to a short delay on that departure (crew was a few minutes late) I made it...  and got to San Diego in time to have lunch with my parents at Crazee Burger according to the original plan.

Edited by cv91915

Don't you just love "dodging the bullet" ;)

.... your scenario is where I stumble aboard, drop in my seat, and point every available air vent at myself!

Edited by hdporter

$    750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
      300 - 2018 travel credit

90 - Uber ride credits (6 x $15)
       56 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14) + (1 x 12)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$  996  (181% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Edited by cv91915

I had originally planned to do SAN-PHL-MUD today, and MUD-CLT-SAN next week, but I decided to skip this trip.  

Unless something flares up at work before the end of the year I have only one more travel day in 2018 (SAN-DFW-MUD on 12/27).

This morning I would have had breakfast at the Airspace Lounge/Admirals Club at SAN with my $10 food/beverage credit from my Amex Platinum.  There is no Centurion Lounge here, nor any Priority Pass options.

At PHL I would have arrived at C26 and departed near the end of the B gates.  My 0:58 connection would have precluded me from hoofing it over to the Centurion Lounge (near A14), or the Priority Pass option (Minute Suites) between the A and B gates.  Minute Suites probably isn't a good fit for a 0:58 connection anyway.

There are two Admirals Clubs in A (too far), one for B/C (I would have likely used this one for a quick snack and a restroom break), and another in F (too far).

PHL_overview_map.png

Edited by cv91915

Updated with November spending.  

The Platinum statement has already closed, and it's unlikely I'll put any more charges on the Sapphire... so I'm wrapping up a little bit early this month.

ZvvknaJ.png

Tomorrow is my last travel day of 2018.  

It's hard to believe that I've escaped the hellish horrors of Mudland winter for six weeks.  It's back to reality, at least for ~13 days before work travel resumes.

Tomorrow's arrival at MUD was timed to roughly coincide with TAD's.  He's embarking on his ESB-VIE-ORD-MUD adventure in less than 12 hours, and we should land within 90 minutes of each other.  

My arriving flight is the earlier of the two, so I will likely use a chunk of the $35 Amex Platinum Uber credit for December to get home, and then grab the SUV and make an abbreviated grocery store visit before driving back to the airport to fetch my weary spouse.

We humans like retrospective data that's time-boxed inside the arbitrary confines of a calendar year, so I'll be summarizing the data that I've accumulated in this thread.  I'll tackle this in early January when the final bits of 2018 data have trailed in.

For right now...  American Airlines recently sent a dubious year-in-review summary, which I'm excerpting here strictly for amusement ($725 saved on baggage fees?  I checked a bag MAYBE three times).  18 destinations seems a bit light.  

Whatever.  Here is some 2018 summary travel data to start winding things down.  It's odd to think about spending the equivalent of just over four standard US work weeks in the air in just one year.

Ff0sf1E.pngy845luG.png

rWYSx1T.png

24 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

It's hard to believe that I've escaped the hellish horrors of Mudland winter for six weeks.  It's back to reality, at least for ~13 days before work travel resumes.

Tomorrow's arrival at MUD was timed to roughly coincide with TAD's.  He's embarking on his ESB-VIE-ORD-MUD adventure in less than 12 hours, and we should land within 90 minutes of each other.  

My arriving flight is the earlier of the two, so I will likely use a chunk of the $35 Amex Platinum Uber credit for December to get home, and then grab the SUV and make an abbreviated grocery store visit before driving back to the airport to fetch my weary spouse.

We humans like retrospective data that's time-boxed inside the arbitrary confines of a calendar year, so I'll be summarizing the data that I've accumulated in this thread.  I'll tackle this in early January when the final bits of 2018 data have trailed in.

For right now...  American Airlines recently sent a dubious year-in-review summary, which I'm excerpting here strictly for amusement ($725 saved on baggage fees?  I checked a bag MAYBE three times).  18 destinations seems a bit light.  

Whatever.  Here is some 2018 summary travel data to start winding things down.  It's odd to think about spending the equivalent of just over four standard US work weeks in the air in just one year.

Ff0sf1E.pngy845luG.png

rWYSx1T.png

Certainly makes my 50k domestic flying look amateurish 

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

My DFW-MUD flight tomorrow just got canceled.  :lol:   

I'm sure there is plenty of extra capacity this week, so a convenient accommodation on another flight must be on its way.

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

36 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

My DFW-MUD flight tomorrow just got canceled.  :lol:   

I'm sure there is plenty of extra capacity this week, so a convenient accommodation on another flight must be on its way.

That was actually quite easy.  I just logged into aa.com and moved myself onto other flights.

I'm leaving 35 minutes later than originally planned, and going through ORD instead.  My arrival and TAD's are now scheduled within 3 minutes of each other.

There was even an aisle seat left in MCE from SAN-ORD.

Now we'll see if either of my upgrades go through (I was confirmed in First for DFW-MUD but still on the waitlist for SAN-DFW when plans changed).

We'll still use part of the December Amex Platinum Uber credit to get home, but we'll skip the grocery store in my original plan and use the balance of the credit with Uber Eats when we get home.  

Edited by cv91915

TAD and I will now be at ORD at the same time, and our flights from there to MUD are scheduled to depart 1 minute apart and arrive within 3 minutes of each other.  

TAD's layover at ORD is an excruciating 4:25 and mine is 2:18.  Perhaps we can arrange a time and place for a tawdry O'Hare rendezvous before boarding our separate flights to the same place, which arrive at the same time.  😛

My flight to ORD leaves in 3.5 hours and TAD is well on his way from VIE, so we are (currently) on track for making this a reality.  

orpFsho.png

The rendezvous worked out as planned.  We spent about 2 hours together at the Admirals Club in G at ORD, and then left to board our respective flights.  It's amazing what speaking only Turkish for two weeks does to a person's English.  :swoon: 

Thanks to a delay on my flight, I'm just now taxiing to the runway at ORD to take off -- and TAD is standing at baggage claim at MUD.  So much for arriving 3 minutes apart.  

There's a 70ish year old guy in front of me who must be insane.  He keeps yelling "Hey" to the FA, and then he asks for a tissue or some water, which he clearly needs because he keeps coughing violently, then he pauses and says, "Oh my god."  

He reassigned a different seat for himself and then demanded that the FA go get his bag and move it up to his new row, where the bins are full.  He also keeps yelling, "Let's go."

$   750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
     300 - 2018 travel credit

125 - Uber ride credits (6 x $15; 1 x $35)
       56 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14) + (1 x 12)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$1,031  (187% of the $550 AF)