cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$    750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*
      300.00 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050.00 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$   600.00 - 60,000 MRs x $0.01*
     200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
       60.00 - Uber ride credits (4 x $15)
       30.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (3 x $10)
$ 890.00 (162% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

TAD has been attending a conference in Boston all week, and I'm taking a redeye from San Diego to Boston tonight to meet him there for a quick weekend getaway.

At SAN I'll use the only lounge option (Airspace Lounge that doubles as an Admirals Club), and I'll use the Amex Platinum instead of my Citi AA Executive card to get in.  

Both cards work for admission to the Club, but the Platinum also provides a $10 food/beverage credit for use during the visit.  I'll probably squirrel away a snack to eat in case I get hungry during the night.

In Chicago, where I'm connecting, the only viable option will be the Admirals Club closest to my departure gate.

L4jV0E0.png

I'm returning from BOS to SAN today via ORD.

Priority Pass Lounges at BOS:

• The Lounge (Terminal C)
  • Air France Lounge (Terminal E)
  • The Club (Terminal E)

I departed from Terminal B.  The Admirals Club was about 100 feet from my departure gate, so I had my first of three (or four or five) breakfasts there.  😛

No Centurion Lounges at BOS.

At my connection at ORD there is no Centurion Lounge either.  Priority Pass options:

• Air France Lounge (International Terminal 5)
  • Swissport Lounge (International Terminal 5)

I'm arriving and departing from H in Terminal 3 so the only viable option for my 1:09 connection will be the Admirals Club in my arrival/departure terminal.

Edited by cv91915

I'm heading from San Diego to Mudland today.  I'm currently on the SAN-DFW flight.  When I land in Dallas I will have officially earned Million Miler status on AA.

I used my Platinum instead of my Citi AA Exec to get into the Airspace Lounge at SAN so I could use the $10 food/beverage credit to pay for breakfast.  I could have eaten breakfast at home, but all I had in the house was two hot dog buns. 

At DFW I'm arriving and departing Terminal C at gates that are literally right next to each other, and the Admirals Club is only about four gates away.  

Other lounge options at DFW?  The Centurion Lounge is closed for repairs...  not that I would waste a big chunk of my time between flights taking two train rides (C to D and then back to C).  

Minute Suites in A and D are out for the same reason, as is the Priority Pass lounge in D, which I don't even attempt any more under any circumstances since it's capacity controlled and I've never actually gotten in.

July was a light spending month on both the CSR and the Platinum cards as I finished up the required spending for the SUB on my new Citi AA Executive.

TAD's Citi AA Exec was up for renewal at $450, and it had been 24+ months since I got a SUB on an AA card, so we closed his Exec and I opened one to keep us both (plus both of my parents) on the Admirals Club morphine drip for another year.

I used a 60,000-mile offer on the Exec card that I got by emailing the SAN Admirals Club.  Highest public offer at the time was 50,000 miles.

Here is an update with July's meager spending on the CSR and Platinum.

yYJrRc2.png

As a reminder, the spending and rewards totals shown here represent the rewards that would have been earned on one card or the other -- if all of the spending on both cards was put on just one of them.  Many people wouldn't carry both cards and pay $1,000 in combined AFs for both cards.

As alluded to earlier in this post, we put a lot of spending on other cards.  These running totals are meant to capture the value of rewards for our household for spending we would put on a premium travel card. 

If I'm ambitious, at the end of the year I'll go through our other accounts and update this with all of our spending, however I'm not sure this would be normal behavior for rewards tweakers.  😛

Edited by cv91915

On 7/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, cv91915 said:

I'm heading from San Diego to Mudland today.  I'm currently on the SAN-DFW flight.  When I land in Dallas I will have officially earned Million Miler status on AA.

I used my Platinum instead of my Citi AA Exec to get into the Airspace Lounge at SAN so I could use the $10 food/beverage credit to pay for breakfast.  I could have eaten breakfast at home, but all I had in the house was two hot dog buns. 

At DFW I'm arriving and departing Terminal C at gates that are literally right next to each other, and the Admirals Club is only about four gates away.  

Other lounge options at DFW?  The Centurion Lounge is closed for repairs...  not that I would waste a big chunk of my time between flights taking two train rides (C to D and then back to C).  

Minute Suites in A and D are out for the same reason, as is the Priority Pass lounge in D, which I don't even attempt any more under any circumstances since it's capacity controlled and I've never actually gotten in.

Congrats on your AA 1M mark.  That's a lot of travel, which you well know...

19 hours ago, MWGardener said:

Congrats on your AA 1M mark.  That's a lot of travel, which you well know...

A friend of mine who also travels a lot recently told me that he hopes to never reach this milestone.  :lol: 

This afternoon TAD and I are heading to the UK for a couple of weeks.

Mudland International has no lounges, unless you count sitting on the floor in the main corridor in front of Auntie Anne's Pretzels (which we do not).

Whenever I've had Priority Pass I assumed that people who frequently travel internationally get the most benefit from the card. 

On our trip to multiple countries in Europe a few years ago we were able to use Priority Pass  lounges (NCE, BCN, AMS) as we shuttled between cities.

But this year Priority Pass did nothing for me on my trip to Japan a few months ago, and now...

We're connecting at ORD on the way to LHR.  Without actually checking, I was expecting this flight to depart from the International Terminal (5), where Priority Pass would get us into:

But...

The London flight is leaving from Terminal 3, where flights also depart for Baltimore, Dayton and Des Moines.

Fortunately, near our departure gate are an Admirals Club and an AA Flagship Lounge.  We will definitely use the latter during our 1:26 layover, assuming we encounter no significant delays.

Access to the Flagship Lounge is part of the Executive Platinum benefits for international travel, regardless of the class of service for the flight. 

My SWUs went through so I'll be traveling in Business Class, which also includes Flagship Lounge access regardless of airline status.

Priority Pass scores zero on the MUD-ORD-LHR route. 

We should have several lounge options on the return (departing LHR, Terminal 3), including Priority Pass, Admirals Club, and oneworld premium airline lounges ( the last one is compliments of my AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald status).

I'll post more about the options on the return trip as the date approaches.

If anyone reading this has experience with any of these lounges and has a recommendation, please comment.

We are leaving LHR from Terminal 3 on Friday, and it looks like we have several lounge options.

Citi AAdvantage Executive Option:

Admirals Club.  Since my cabin class and my status get me into American's much nicer Flagship Lounge in the same location, this is an unlikely choice.

Priority Pass Options (Compliments of Chase Sapphire Reserve and American Express Platinum):

Priority Pass has two options at LHR Terminal 3.  I don't have experience with either of these, so I don't have any commentary.

Club Aspire Lounge has "complimentary food and drinks" with a "supplement for premium menu"

No1 Lounge has "waiter service" for a "bistro menu" in addition to a buffet.

Executive Platinum Status/Cabin Class Option:

American Airlines Flagship Lounge.  My Business Class ticket gets me in, but so would my AA Executive Platinum status if I was in Economy because this is an international flight.  

oneworld Emerald Options:

AA Executive Status is equivalent to oneworld Emerald.  Emerald members (and customers with any status on an alliance airline flying First or Business internationally) get access to premium lounges of any oneworld airline, regardless of the airline flown.  Options in T3 are listed below.

British Airways Galleries First Class and Galleries Club Lounges.  The First Class lounge is the obvious choice of the two.

Cathay Pacific Business Class Lounge and Cathay Pacific First Class lounge.  The First Class lounge is the obvious choice of the two.

Quantas London Lounge ($).  It looks like the Qantas "benefit" only allows access by paying a fee.  With so many other options, this one is out.  

American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.

Edited by cv91915

No suggestions on a lounge at LHR T3?

We need to modify an AA award travel reservation for TAD for travel next week, so we're going to duck into the AA Flagship Lounge first and use the AAgents inside to take care of that.  

Depending on how much time we have left before boarding we may just stay there.

I looked at the two Priority Pass lounges online and the No1 Lounge looks a lot nicer than Club Aspire.  

The BA and Cathay First Class lounges may both be nicer than the PP choices and the Flagship Lounge, but I'm not sure we'll have a chance to find out firsthand on this trip.

Edited by cv91915

I sampled some blogs regarding the lounges at LHR and we decided to drop into the Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge (which we could access with my oneworld Emerald status).

This sums it up pretty well:  https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pacific-first-class-lounge-london-heathrow-review/

It was small, not very busy and really comfortable.  We weren't hungry so we didn't visit the dining room for breakfast.

We got to the airport way too early (there was literally no one ahead of us at AA Flagship Check-in, and security took about 90 seconds), so after enjoying the Cathay First Class Lounge for about an hour we left to get some help with a future reservation at the AA Flagship Lounge.

Unlike the Cathay lounge, the Flagship Lounge had a small but quality hot breakfast buffet, in addition to a nice assortment of snacks.  We killed the last 30 minutes before we boarded at the Flagship Lounge.

Some of the furniture in the Flagship Lounge was a little tired, but it was still quite pleasant and not overrun with people, so it would have been a worthy choice even if it was our only option.

If I'd had more energy we would have stopped into the No1 Lounge (one of the two Priority Pass options), which looked very nice as we walked by.  It listed "dining" and "spa services" on the signage next to the entry door.

And for today's trick I'm departing Mudland International for San Diego, where I face re-entry into the world of work tomorrow, after being off for 2 1/2 weeks.

I'm connecting at DFW today.  If nothing changes I'll be arriving in Terminal A and departing from C.

My short layover (0:59) eliminates traveling to and from any of the three Priority Pass options (Minute Suites in A and D, and The Club in D), and even if I had time to visit the Centurion Lounge in D... well... it's closed until the new one opens sometime in October.

Looks like it'll be the Admirals Club in Terminal C today.

Today I ordered Uber Eats for lunch, just under the wire to use the Amex credit for August.  

The restaurant we chose only had a $1.xx booking fee, so I'm calling the benefit $14 instead of $10 (typical booking fee is $4.99).

$    750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*
      300.00 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050.00 (233% of the $450 AF)

$   600.00 - 60,000 MRs x $0.01*
     200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
       60.00 - Uber ride credits (4 x $15)
       44.00 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14)]
$ 904.00 (164% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Edited by cv91915

Updated with August Amex Platinum + C$R spending.  

Relative to total spending I'm not putting much on either card.

I'm continually surprised at how quickly the personal value of the URs is adding up compared to the corresponding value of MRs from the same amount of premium card  spending.

As a reminder, if transfers to travel partners are most important to you look at the running total of points earned, and not the cash equivalent I am calculating for my own purposes at the top of the table.  My redemption habits are -- in a word -- unconventional. 

5HNUCb7.png

TAD and I are leaving San Diego this morning.  He's going to the Mud Hut, but I'm heading to Chicago for the weekend.  My old friends bore him.  😛  

SAN has an Airspace Lounge (accessible with the Amex Platinum) ,which doubles as an Admirals Club (accessible with the Citi AA Exec).  

I have both cards, but I'm using the Amex Platinum to get in because it gets me and my guest each a $10 food and beverage credit.

Off we go...

I'm on my flight back to San Diego.  

Since there is no Centurion Lounge at ORD and no Priority Pass options in my departure terminal (3), I ducked into the Admirals Club between H and K for a few minutes to have a quick snack before my flight.

I have an old friend (friend of a friend, actually) who works at O'Hare.  Earlier this year I got his mobile number, but he is never at work when I text him while I'm at the airport. Today was no exception.  My new theory is that he's done nothing with his life and doesn't need me to see that firsthand.

Edited by cv91915

I used the September $15 Uber credit from the Amex Platinum on a couple of Uber rides over the weekend in Chicago (and then I switched over to Lyft and paid with my Freedom for 5% back).

I planned to use the $50 Amex Platinum Saks credit at the store on Michigan Avenue, but we never made it over there.

$    750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
      300 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050 (233% of the $450 AF)

$   600 - Signup bonus (60,000 MRs x $0.01*)
     200 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
       75 - Uber ride credits (5 x $15)
       44 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14)]
 919 (167% of the $550 AF)

Off to Omaha.  6:20 a.m. fight on a Saturday.  Who does this?  :swoon: 

At SAN I used the Amex Platinum to access the Airspace Lounge/Admirals Club and used the $10 food/beverage credit on a quick breakfast.

I'm connecting at PHX, arriving and departing from Concourse A.  

"The Club at PHX" is accessible with Priority Pass, but it's in Concourse B.  I'll just use the Admirals Club near my departure gate during my 1:01 connection.

I had some extra time at lunch today so I walked over to the Saks that's in the mall which is connected to the hotel where I'm staying just outside of Washington, DC.

The purpose was to make use of the $50 Amex Platinum credit, but after walking around the store for about 20 minutes there was exactly nothing I wanted.  I couldn't even talk myself into socks.

DCA-MUD today.

AA flights depart from B and C.  My flight leaves from B.  Admirals Club is in C.  Priority Pass restaurant is in C.

First plan was to suck it up and have lunch with the riffraff in a random restaurant in B.  Everything was packed.

So I took the airside bus that runs between B and C, intending to hit the Priority Pass restaurant.  When I arrived there were about 15 people in line waiting for a table.  PASS.

So I just ducked into Admirals Club, where I'm having a club sandwich before busing it back to B for my departure.

nXU2MUa.jpg

I just used the $50 Saks Fifth Avenue credit (Jul-Dec 2018) toward restocking a couple of Kiehl's skincare items that we use.

$    750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
      300 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050 (233% of the $450 AF)

$   600 - Signup bonus (60,000 MRs x $0.01*)
     200 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
       75 - Uber ride credits (x $15)
       44 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$  969 (176% of the $550 AF)