cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

You just need to download the app on your phone and create an online account. Thats the digital card.

I already have the app and an account with my Platinum. I guess I could create a second account. How do you identify yourself to PP? Do they validate your Chase card number?

You can have multiple Priority Pass memberships associated with the same PP login.

You can also save the membership card(s) in the Apple Wallet so you don't have to log into the PP app to access your digital card.

Fvz80E6.jpg6PzJAjt.jpg

Edited by cv91915

My first statement on the Reserve closed recently.

I've created a spreadsheet to add up the value of the rewards that I accumulate from spending on the Reserve, and with minimal incremental effort I can also calculate what I would have earned by putting the same purchases on the Platinum.

I am not attempting to track any non-spending card benefits. This is only spending.

Note that my usage of URs and MRs isn't optimal for many other people. I mainly use these points for revenue tickets on American Airlines because I need the EQMs and EQDs to maintain Executive Platinum status, which is the most valuable travel benefit for me throughout the year (this status got me complimentary upgrades on ~75% ~100,000 miles flown in 2017, including award travel).

Others prefer points transfers to travel partners, which they redeem for premium cabin seats on international award tickets, and get more personal value that way. As always, do your own realistic assessment of what any card's value would have for you based on your realistic travel plans and your spending patterns.

I will update this monthly.

bkDqaTE.png

Edited by cv91915

I think it's wonderful that you have an identified purpose - travel portal redemption - for all these points. It gives such a clear sense of the value and allows easy comparison between the products/earnings of different issuers. Of course you're right that there might be other ways to redeem for "bigger" values, but having a planned redemption insures you'll get some value, unlike when others earn with no clear plan and then wonder what to do, bease that "no" value at all.

This is an excellent case study for people willing to learn about the benefits of point redemptions. Thanks for doing the comparison chart!!!

I think it's wonderful that you have an identified purpose - travel portal redemption - for all these points. It gives such a clear sense of the value and allows easy comparison between the products/earnings of different issuers. Of course you're right that there might be other ways to redeem for "bigger" values, but having a planned redemption insures you'll get some value, unlike when others earn with no clear plan and then wonder what to do, bease that "no" value at all.

This is an excellent case study for people willing to learn about the benefits of point redemptions. Thanks for doing the comparison chart!!!

The nice part about URs and MRs is their flexibility. Someday soon I hope to not fly as much as I have for the past few years, and at that point doing transfers may have more appeal.

No matter how you are earning rewards, it's good to understand what you value most and what you will actually use, and then direct your spending accordingly.

How soon after meeting the minimum spend for the SUB do the URs post?

My offer was for 50,000 URs after $4,000 in spending.

As of this morning I've had ~$4,200 in charges post to my account, not counting the $450 annual fee.

I need to book a revenue ticket and an award ticket on AA for a trip from MUD-LHR later this year.

If the URs are imminent I will wait. If I have to wait for the next statement I'll just pay with real money.

How soon after meeting the minimum spend for the SUB do the URs post?

My offer was for 50,000 URs after $4,000 in spending.

As of this morning I've had ~$4,200 in charges post to my account, not counting the $450 annual fee.

I need to book a revenue ticket and an award ticket on AA for a trip from MUD-LHR later this year.

If the URs are imminent I will wait. If I have to wait for the next statement I'll just pay with real money.

Never mind. I found my answer on MFF. :lol:

The way I look at my C$R is simply by actual cash value received from having this card, (as compared against the $450 annual fee).

In my case a couple of caveats are necessary.

#1 I don't travel domestically at all, and my international travel every winter is in premium cabin so lounge access in irrelevant.

#2 My revenue travel related charges are minor enough that I don't really consider the value of the 3% UR's I earn when using this account, (so long as I get each calendar year's $300 travel credit).

Since I opened this account September 2016 my expense/return is as below.

9/2016 + 9/2017 annual fee = $900.

2016/2017/2018 calendar year travel redemption = $900.

265,000 UR points redeemed for revenue travel expense via Chase's travel portal @ $.0025 CCP, (the spread between redeeming these points via my INK +), = $662.50.

Therefore, Chase has at this point paid me $662.50 to have this card, (plus of course the value of 100k UR SUB, minimum $1500). :grin:

Definitely a keeper.

Obviously, I don't really earn many points from card usage, (but this card makes ALL my UR's worth more).

It goes without saying that if Chase changed their rules and I couldn't transfer all UR's to this account from my other Chase accounts, I wouldn't keep this account. :good:

Edited by Chris58

I ended up getting a targeted offer to open another personal Platinum, which I did, so I will actually have both the Platinum and the C$R for practically all of 2018.

Yesterday I used the Airspace Lounge in San Diego (which doubles as an Admirals Club) yesterday, and used the Platinum to get in because of the $10 food/beverage credit.

There are no Priority Pass options in San Diego.

KDkYyhb.png

C$R statement closed yesterday.

Since this thread is morphing into a comparison between the C$R and the Platinum, I will be going back and updating the table below with the 2018 spending that I put on the Platinum (both the downgraded card and the new one that I opened almost immediately after).

Right now this reflects spending on the C$R only.

c8hBAeR.png

I got to DFW really early on Wednesday, so I decided to have the rental car shuttle bus drop me off at Terminal D (instead of A, where my flight was departing) so I could kill the extra hour at the Centurion Lounge.

The food was horrible the last time I was there, but I was there for breakfast this time and I enjoyed the it (frittata, chicken sausage hash, pancakes).

bLbVLI1.png

Previous versions of this table only included spending that went onto the C$R.

I went back and added in the charges that went on the Platinum (the one I recently downgraded), and will include spending on both cards going forward.

Most of my spending goes on other cards in exchange for other benefits, but I'm not going to report that spending here. The point is to compare the value I would receive from the actual spending that goes on a premium travel card in 2018.

Note: Almost all of the YTD spending on the C$R was required to receive the SUB. The spending required to get the SUB on the new Platinum card won't show up here until March/April.

HWDCcfq.png

I'm flying up to Portland for the weekend on an Alaska Airlines flight.

Alaska operates out of Terminal 1 in San Diego, but the Airspace Lounge/Admirals Club is in Terminal 2.

At least there are Priority Pass options on the return.

R4nL0hR.png

I have a lot of extra time today, so I decided to stop at Capers Cafe in Terminal C at PDX.

Priority Pass gives $28 off the bill, which I'll never spend.

I am currently eating what is quite possibly the worst breakfast burrito I've ever had.

gnycFwb.jpg

TAD's departure from Portland was 30 minutes after mine this morning, so I got to the airport later than usual.

As such, I didn't have time to use the Priority Pass benefits (Alaska Lounge or either of the other two restaurant/bar options in Concourse C).

Oh, well, who does a flight of whiskey at 5:40 in the morning, anyway?

3eJEVMx.png

Since this has morphed into a "year with the C$R and Amex Platinum" thread I will be tracking the non-spending and non-lounge benefits of both cards as well.

I will find a more consolidated way of tracking all of this, but for now, before I forget:

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

None to date

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit

30.00 - Uber ride credits (2 x $15)

10.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (1 x 10)

I was originally planning to include the sign-up bonus as part of the spending tally, but I've had a change of heart.

I'm adding the SUB for both cards to this non-lounge/non-spending summary instead.

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015)

$750.00

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

Signup bonus is pending completion of minimum spending requirement.

$200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit

30.00 - Uber ride credits (2 x $15)

10.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (1 x 10)

$240.00

This includes spending on the March Amex Platinum statement. I will post a final total for March when the C$R statement cycle closes for the month.

04uYDt9.png

Since mine showed up in the mail...

Are you finding any use/benefit to carrying both of your Priority Pass Select cards? I don't see a reason to have the Amex one at all, given the guest fee, but perhaps I'm missing something. Double dip on meals or something?

Are you finding any use/benefit to carrying both of your Priority Pass Select cards? I don't see a reason to have the Amex one at all, given the guest fee, but perhaps I'm missing something. Double dip on meals or something?

90% of the time I travel alone.

As part of the other 10% we end up in random airports with friends about once a year, and I would attempt to use all resources at my disposal to get friends into lounges with us.

The restaurant at PDX was motivated to help me max the $28 PP credit, offering to show me their case of pastries and other to-go items. I'm sure they'd swipe the second PP card for another $28 credit with no issues... but how many scones does one want to carry from Portland to San Diego?

The second card would probably handier if you have the occasion to get hammered at a participating bar/restaurant.

As part of the other 10% we end up in random airports with friends about once a year, and I would attempt to use all resources at my disposal to get friends into lounges with us.

The restaurant at PDX was motivated to help me max the $28 PP credit, offering to show me their case of pastries and other to-go items. I'm sure they'd swipe the second PP card for another $28 credit with no issues... but how many scones does one want to carry from Portland to San Diego?

The second card would probably handier if you have the occasion to get hammered at a participating bar/restaurant.

Same page here. Sounds like the Chase PPS card would give me ample access for solo travel and whenever I have DW or a co-worker with me. I've yet to have an opportunity to use the restaurant credit, and like you've pointed out I can really see ever needing the second credit. I don't think the Amex PPS will ever see my wallet because of this...

*how many scones can $56 get you? :)

Same page here. Sounds like the Chase PPS card would give me ample access for solo travel and whenever I have DW or a co-worker with me. I've yet to have an opportunity to use the restaurant credit, and like you've pointed out I can really see ever needing the second credit. I don't think the Amex PPS will ever see my wallet because of this...

*how many scones can $56 get you? :)

Wallet? Nah...

I have a stack of cards that I need primarily when traveling, and they almost never leave my laptop bag unless they're actually being used at that moment. These include:

- Priority Pass #1

- Priority Pass #2

- Chase Marriott Visa (for Marriott stays)

- US Bank Cash+ Visa (for rental cars)

- Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (for Admirals Club access)

- Amex Platinum (for Centurion Lounge access)

- Bank of America ATM/debit card (to access household funds)

- Wells Fargo ATM/debit card (to access personal funds)

- Health insurance ID card (used in Mudland and San Diego)

- HSA debit card (used in Mudland and San Diego)

I don't know how many scones $56 would buy, but I can tell you that in an average year I eat zero.

I was looking at this card today. I see there is a $300 travel expense credit each year. Assuming you make full use of that, the effective annual fee drops to $150 before calculating the other rewards. I never realized that points were worth 50% more when spent on travel. I had just assumed my spending level would not justify such a high annual fee. Appears I was wrong.

Can anyone tell me exactly what they classify as a travel expense for the $300 credit? Does fuel count? I assume hotels, car rentals, and airlines would be no question. What about Uber?