cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

On 12/27/2018 at 7:56 PM, cv91915 said:

The rendezvous worked out as planned.  We spent about 2 hours together at the Admirals Club in G at ORD, and then left to board our respective flights.  It's amazing what speaking only Turkish for two weeks does to a person's English.  :swoon: 

Thanks to a delay on my flight, I'm just now taxiing to the runway at ORD to take off -- and TAD is standing at baggage claim at MUD.  So much for arriving 3 minutes apart.  

There's a 70ish year old guy in front of me who must be insane.  He keeps yelling "Hey" to the FA, and then he asks for a tissue or some water, which he clearly needs because he keeps coughing violently, then he pauses and says, "Oh my god."  

He reassigned a different seat for himself and then demanded that the FA go get his bag and move it up to his new row, where the bins are full.  He also keeps yelling, "Let's go."

I wonder how I ended up sick.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:14 AM, cv91915 said:

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$   750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
     300 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$   600 - Signup bonus (60,000 MRs x $0.01*)
     200 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  
     125 - Uber ride credits (6 x $15; 1 x $35)
       56 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14) + (1 x 12)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$1,031  (187% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

REMINDER: One day left to use 2018 card benefits, such as:

• $200 travel credit on Amex Platinum
  • $50 Saks credit on Amex Platinum
  • $300 travel credit on Sapphire Reserve
  • Anything else on these two cards?

The AFs are much harder to justify (impossible for some) if you are leaving money in the table.

I had a 2.5-hour layover at DFW today, so I made the time to take the required two train rides so I could use the new/expanded Centurion Lounge for the first time.

Even with the capacity restrictions it was seriously overcrowded and extremly noisy.  The food on the buffet was decimated.  

I didn't bother waiting in line at the bar for a beverage so I helped myself to some tap water that had orange slices floating in it.

It was so unpleasant I left in under 10 minutes and went to the Admirals Club near my departure gate in Terminal A.  It was a lot more relaxing there.

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$   750 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)
     300 - 2018 travel credit
$1,050 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$   600 - Signup bonus (60,000 MRs x $0.01*)
     200 - 2018 airline incidentals credit  

100 - Global Entry renewal application fee
     125 - Uber ride credits (6 x $15; 1 x $35)
       56 - Uber Eats credits after booking fees [(3 * $10) + (1 x 14) + (1 x 12)]

50 - Saks credit ($50 x 1)
$1,131  (
206% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for URs and MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Notes to self: 

$300 Chase and $200 Amex travel credits for 2019 will be realized before the annual fee posts and will still be included in the final analysis.  

I also have some trailing spending and lounge usage data to post.

Here is the final 2018 lounge usage recap.

Instinctively I knew that I wasn't getting much value out of Priority Pass or the Centurion Lounge, but having a year's worth of data allows me to quantify it.

If I had to decide on just one card with a $400+ AF for lounge access the choice is obvious... Citi AA Executive.  The Admirals Club network is by far the most useful for my travel needs, plus my three AUs also get access to these lounges when they travel.  

If my only "lounge card" was with Citi, the $450 AF and 50 Admirals Club uses would have made the average cost just $9/visit, and that doesn't include what my AUs did.

Note that the American Express Global Lounge Collection includes Airspace Lounges (there are two in the world; one in Cleveland and one in San Diego, the latter of which is one of my home airports).  The one at SAN doubles as an Admirals Club, so nearly all of the cells in the Amex columns that are shaded in green in the detail below are for SAN Airspace visits that were also possible with the Citi card.  

The Platinum does offer a $10 food/beverage credit per Airspace visit, so I got some additional value from that, however on all but the shortest of flights I get a meal on the plane (in First Class, or comped from the food cart in Economy).

2018 Travel/Lounge Usage Summary

• 80 departures (78 on American Airlines, 1 on Japan Airlines and 1 on Jetstar)

• 20 unique departure airports in 3 countries (USA, Japan, UK)

• 50 visits/viable opportunities to use Admirals Club (63% of departures)

• 3 Priority Pass uses where Priority Pass was the best option (4% of the departures)

• 7 total viable opportunities to use Priority Pass (9% of the departures)

• 2 Centurion Lounge visits (3% of departures, both at DFW)

Detail:

RIOnsvj.png

Here is the final 2018 spending tally and corresponding rewards that would have been earned with the Sapphire Reserve or the Amex Platinum.

These summaries compare the value of the rewards if all of the Sapphire + Platinum spending was put on one card or the other.  

Neither card saw much routine spending after the SUBs were earned.  In a separate exercise I may try to reinterpret the rewards potential using a bigger sample of my spending data (from other cards), but for now this is the best measure I have.

Dy5BgUU.png