cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

Thanks for the tip re CLE Minute Suites.

Took 90 min at the Philly one about 3 years ago (after a red eye flight) and, while very basic, it fit the ticket perfectly for a place to grab a quality nap. (got away with a "freebie": they had only recently opened and it turned out the credit card equipment was inoperative that morning :)

I haven't been to CLE in probably 10 years. This was CLT. :)

slip of the mind; yeah, I meant CLT ... been contemplating a run to CLE for "business". j

Take your Platinum with you. CLE has one of three Airspace Lounges, and the Platinum gets you in, plus a $10 food/beverage credit.

I use the one in San Diego 15+ times a year.

http://www.airspacelounge.com

Back to San Diego today for Mothers Day and Dad's birthday.

QZdAwn9.png

Typo will be corrected when I update the screenshot and post it next time.

Edited by cv91915

Just got back to an empty refrigerator in San Diego. Early dinner is en route from Uber Eats.

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$ 750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015*)

300.00 - 2018 travel credit

$1,050.00 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$600.00 - 60,000 MRs x $0.01*

200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit

30.00 - Uber ride credits (2 x $15)

30.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (3 x $10)

$860.00 (156% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for MRs and URs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Edited by cv91915

Finally got around to applying for Global Entry ($100 app fee). CSR card terms state I should see an offsetting credit within 24 hours.

Finally got around to applying for Global Entry ($100 app fee). CSR card terms state I should see an offsetting credit within 24 hours.

Impressive. I didn't check right back, but sure enough the CSR credit for the Global Entry fee has posted.

(By contrast, Bev charged her GE app fee to her Citi AA Exec card. No credit there; the terms suggest the credit will be posted within "1-2 billing cycles".)

Impressive. I didn't check right back, but sure enough the CSR credit for the Global Entry fee has posted.

(By contrast, Bev charged her GE app fee to her Citi AA Exec card. No credit there; the terms suggest the credit will be posted within "1-2 billing cycles".)

Citi takes about a week.

Added Chase spending in April and Amex spending for May.

I will update the Chase spending for May when the next Chase statement closes in early June.

12aKKTO.png

Back to the Mud Hut for the rest of the month...

Some lounge notes from yesterday's trip:

The $10 Airspace food/beverage credit from the Amex Platinum is per person. My father was departing from SAN on AA yesterday at around the same time, so he entered as my guest and we used the $20 credit on breakfast sandwiches and a snack.

I had a long enough layover at DFW to make the trek to the Centurion Lounge in Terminal D, which (as usual) was neither my departure nor my arrival terminal.

It was 3:30 pm when I arrived at the CL and I was starving. There were no empty tables, so I had to loiter and stalk people who looked like they were preparing to leave.

I finally got a place to sit. The food was much improved over my last visit, but the lounge got even busier as I ate. By the time I left there were 12-15 people waiting in line to get in.

It was so loud and crowded in the CL I couldn't wait to leave, so as soon as my food was gone I took the train to Terminal C and I relaxed in the Admirals Club until it was time to leave.

Note: I would not have made the trek to Terminal D to visit the PP Lounge, nor was there enough allure to Minute Suites to entice me to stay in my arrival terminal instead of heading to a lounge, which is why I accounted for these lounges the way I did.

T0UPw99.png

yA5TMLj.png

Edited by cv91915

The spending chart has been updated to include May spending on the Chase card.

I flew from Mudland International to Denver yesterday for a couple of meetings, and I connected at O'Hare (I used the Admirals Club at ORD since there is no CL -- and the PP lounge is in the international terminal).

I'm flying to San Diego tomorrow via LAX. I'll update the lounge matrix for both travel days after my trip tomorrow.

GwG2fy6.png

My DEN-LAX flight is delayed by an hour, so I headed to Concourse C to use the $28 Priority Pass food credit at Timberline Steaks & Grille.

I’m stuffing my face with some bacon-wrapped goat-cheese-stuffed dates right now, and deciding what’s next. Too bad I’m not hungry.

Edit: I used the Admirals Club in the Regional Terminal, not Terminal 5. There are ACs in 4, 5 (NEW) and Regional at LAX.

This has been corrected in the source spreadsheet, and the correction will be reflected the next time I post a lounge update.

Monday I'm doing SAN-DFW-NRT-OKA to kick off a status run. I'm looking forward to trying out the AA Flagship Lounge at DFW.

oo9vgeL.png

Edited by cv91915

This it technically OT, but it's my thread. Sometime during the night my SWU from DFW-NRT (scheduled for 13 hours 10 minutes) went through. :yahoo:

This it technically OT, but it's my thread. Sometime during the night my SWU from DFW-NRT (scheduled for 13 hours 10 minutes) went through. :yahoo:

Congrats - I once did ORD-NRT years ago in a E- middle seat thanks to my boss' EA. The only saving grace was my boss was on the same flight and his seat wasn't any better.

This it technically OT, but it's my thread. Sometime during the night my SWU from DFW-NRT (scheduled for 13 hours 10 minutes) went through.

Congrats - I once did ORD-NRT years ago in a E- middle seat thanks to my boss' EA. The only saving grace was my boss was on the same flight and his seat wasn't any better.

Ouch.

The only other time I took this flight Economy was more than half empty.

Lots of people who were in the center section were stretched across all five seats, peacefully sleeping.

In the late 90's I flew Northwest a lot into NRT. At one point the NW pilots were in a pay dispute of sorts. Many flights canceled and delayed. NW was offering triple miles during the ordeal to keep customers from jumping ship.

I remember one flight in particular from DTW to NRT. A very spacious 747. Only 30 PAX on the flight! Plus somehow the plane was over catered. Meal services became all you can eat. Smoking sign was turned off at some point too.

In the late 90's I flew Northwest a lot into NRT. At one point the NW pilots were in a pay dispute of sorts. Many flights canceled and delayed. NW was offering triple miles during the ordeal to keep customers from jumping ship.

I remember one flight in particular from DTW to NRT. A very spacious 747. Only 30 PAX on the flight! Plus somehow the plane was over catered. Meal services became all you can eat. Smoking sign was turned off at some point too.

That sounds delightful. While I don't miss smoking, I do miss smoking on airplanes. If that makes any sense. :P

That sounds delightful. While I don't miss smoking, I do miss smoking on airplanes. If that makes any sense. :P

It kind of does, to me anyway. I quit years ago but still get triggered with an urge to light up if I have a cup of coffee after a meal.

It kind of does, to me anyway. I quit years ago but still get triggered with an urge to light up if I have a cup of coffee after a meal.

I still like the smell when I catch a small whiff outdoors, but I have zero desire to ever choke down another one. Truly. :)

45.00 - Uber ride credits (3 x $15)

$875.00 (159% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for MRs and URs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

45.00 - Uber ride credits (3 x $15)

$875.00 (159% of the $550 AF)

Thank you to all the salamanders for making this possible by regularly carrying balances on their rewards cards.

If there is such a thing, I did a quick trip to Japan (SAN-DFW-NRT-OKA and OKA-HND-LAX-SAN) this week.

Aside from the lounge benefits updated in the table below, here are some off-topic notes about lounge access for this trip.

Outbound:

I was expecting to be in Terminal D for my departure from DFW-NRT, but to my surprise this flight left from Terminal A. As such I didn't bother to take two train rides to get to/from Terminal D to use the Centurion Lounge. The AA Flagship Lounge (D) is still under construction, and the temporary AA Premium Lounge (D) wasn't alluring enough to merit two train rides either. So I just used the Admirals Club in A.

NRT has an Admirals Club, but it was in my arrival terminal. Since I had to transfer to a Jetstar flight that left from a very spartan wing of the domestic terminal I was loungeless at NRT.

Return:

My AA Executive Platinum status corresponds to Oneworld Emerald, which got me access to Oneworld premium lounges on this trip. This was a hugely-welcome upgrade on my return trip, because it included the JAL Diamond Premier (First Class) Lounge at the Domestic Terminal in Okinawa, and the JAL First Class Lounge in the International Terminal at Tokyo/Haneda.

In addition I used the AA Flagship (First Class) Lounge at LAX on the return. I had a 3+ hour layover, and it was extremely refreshing to be able to duck into a private shower suite and spend 30 minutes taking a hot shower, shaving, brushing my teeth, etc., before grazing through the buffet and then heading to the Regional Terminal for the short flight to San Diego.

I was too tired and frankly not very hungry, so I skipped the Flagship First dining room. I was looking forward to giving that a try, but I just didn't have it in me at that point.

f2iBqb3.png

I'm traveling overnight tonight to Raleigh for a couple of meetings before heading back to the Mud Hut for two weeks.

I'm posting this update now because I've seen how this movie ends. :P

HBCAhck.png

On my trip from Raleigh back to Mudland yesterday:

I used the Admirals Club at RDU (there is no Centurion Lounge and there are no Priority Pass options).

At my connection in Charlotte I had a scheduled layover of almost three hours (there are no good afternoon schedules from RDU-MUD). There was an earlier connecting flight to MUD that I wouldn't have been able to book, but its departure was delayed so I had a chance.

I couldn't do a same-day flight change because the earlier flight was full, but my EP status got me to #2 on the standby list.

I waited near the gate and ended up getting the very last seat assignment, as Group 9 was boarding.

I had a confirmed seat in First on my original flight, which together with a lounge stop I gladly traded for a MCE aisle seat in row 10 on a flight that got me home 90 minutes early.

I've updated my spreadsheet and will post a new matrix soon.

Edited by cv91915

This morning I'm heading out of Mudland for a much-needed week in San Diego.

I got up early to pack and to enjoy a leisurely breakfast before catching my 6:20 a.m. flight through DFW... only to find that it's already been delayed long enough to make my original connection impossible.

At least I woke up early enough to grab one of the few other choices left with seats available in First.

Now I'm departing 90 minutes later than planned, and instead going through Phoenix, land of AA's bitter holdovers from the America West days.  Joy.

No lounges in Mudland, of course, unless you count sitting on the floor in front of Auntie Anne's Pretzels.

My arrival and departure gates are literally next to each other at PHX, near the end of the corridor with gates B2-B14. 

There is a Priority Pass Lounge ("The Club at PHX") between B21 and B23 (close, right?), but it's actually a longer walk than it sounds. 

I prefer the Admirals Club here anyway, and my layover is only scheduled for 1:12, so I am definitely not going out of my way to sit in a subprime lounge.

YSfKwlr.png