cv91915

Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits - A Running Tally

I was looking at this card today. I see there is a $300 travel expense credit each year. Assuming you make full use of that, the effective annual fee drops to $150 before calculating the other rewards. I never realized that points were worth 50% more when spent on travel. I had just assumed my spending level would not justify such a high annual fee. Appears I was wrong.

Can anyone tell me exactly what they classify as a travel expense for the $300 credit? Does fuel count? I assume hotels, car rentals, and airlines would be no question. What about Uber?

Here is the official description from Chase.com. Yes, Uber counts as travel. Gas does not.

Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, merchants within hotels and airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. In addition, the purchasing of gift cards, points or miles does not qualify in this category unless the merchant has set up such purchases to be classified in the travel category.

Adding the $300 travel credit on the C$R.

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$ 750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015)

300.00 - 2018 travel credit

$1,050.00

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

Signup bonus is pending completion of minimum spending requirement.

$200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit

30.00 - Uber ride credits (2 x $15)

10.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (1 x 10)

$240.00

Updated with today's travel plans, as well as some tweaks to some of the earlier data. It's still not exactly how I want it, so more updates to come.

0wyXGQ5.png

So much for plans...

By the time I walked from the furthest A corridor to the furthest B corridor at PHX and got to my departure gate I realized that I'd passed the Admirals Club in Terminal B one hallway ago.

The Priority Pass lounge ("The Club") was literally right next to my departure gate, so I held my nose and went inside.

I waited behind two people whose Southwest flight was delayed by four hours... and they had several thousand questions about ways to get into the club for the one and only person at the front desk.

Once I finally got inside I was pleased to see that there were fewer seats crammed into the lounge, and the dilipidated old vinyl (leather?) chairs had been replaced with upholstered ones.

There were two snack areas set up which had a decent selection of finger food. In addition to the full-service bar there were also self-service refrigerators with canned and bottled soft drinks. I was in party mode so I had a FULL can of club soda.

The place was packed with too many people, but I was able to find a chair in one of the corners. This was comfortable until the guy next to me left and was replace by not one, but TWO, four-year-old boys and their Legos.

Good lord.

Edited by cv91915

Since mine showed up in the mail...

Are you finding any use/benefit to carrying both of your Priority Pass Select cards? I don't see a reason to have the Amex one at all, given the guest fee, but perhaps I'm missing something. Double dip on meals or something?

I just looked at the materials that came with the Priority Pass membership via the Amex Platinum. Looks like two guests are included.

5fupsRZ.png

I recently prepaid some of our summer vacation expenses, which put me over the $5k minimum spend on the new Platinum. The 60,000 MRs have now posted.

In other news, I have a pizza on the way via Uber Eats for $2.30 out of pocket, after the $15 Uber credit for April and a $5 credit that was on my Uber Eats account for reasons that escape me at this moment.

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Chase Sapphire Preferred)

$ 750.00 - Signup bonus (50,000 URs x $0.015)

300.00 - 2018 travel credit

$1,050.00 (233% of the $450 AF)

Other 2018 Benefits Used - Non Lounge/Spending (Amex Platinum):

$600.00 - 60,000 MRs x $0.01*

200.00 - 2018 airline incidentals credit

30.00 - Uber ride credits (2 x $15)

20.00 - Uber Eats credit after $5 fee (2 x $10)

$850.00 (155% of the $550 AF)

* There are more lucrative redemption options for MRs than the way I choose to use mine. You should value all credit card benefits based on their worth to you.

Edited by cv91915

Lounge Availability/ Usage Update:

EDIT: Most recent travel was 4/15, not 4/16 (today). This will be corrected with the next update.

yt9AQwp.png

Edited by cv91915

Updated with this month's Amex spending. Chase statement hasn't yet closed for the month.

gdklmi7.png

I corrected the travel date on my previous entry and added details from yesterday.

tRz4WkS.png

I corrected the travel date on my previous entry and added details from yesterday.

tRz4WkS.png

Appreciate getting your thinking and insights, as I'm thinking through my planned goals and usage for either CSR or AXP. Many thanks.

tRz4WkS.png

Appreciate getting your thinking and insights, as I'm thinking through my planned goals and usage for either CSR or AXP. Many thanks.

Glad this is helpful. Make sure you re-value each of the benefits through your own lens. The way I use MRs and URs is not optimal for people with different goals (which is probably most other people).

CLT now has a Minute Suites location, which opened since the last time I connected there.

The location was only slightly less convenient than the Admirals Club during our connections in Charlotte to/from Savannah this weekend, however we only had about an hour connection each way and wanted to get something to eat both times.

This left the Admirals Club as the only viable lounge option to meet our travel needs.

T0UPw99.png

8NDOQqa.png

Edited by cv91915

Just gotta ask ... what airport are your abbreviating as "MUD" (and referring to as mudville). Is this a reference to MA/"Casey"?

Just know it's something obvious that I have the blinders on to.

Thanks for the tip re CLE Minute Suites.

Took 90 min at the Philly one about 3 years ago (after a red eye flight) and, while very basic, it fit the ticket perfectly for a place to grab a quality nap. (got away with a "freebie": they had only recently opened and it turned out the credit card equipment was inoperative that morning :)

eta: Just read that up to 3 "guests" may accompany the Priority Pass cardholder into a Minute Suite ... way too kinky for me ... maybe a draw for Kat??

Edited by hdporter

Just gotta ask ... what airport are your abbreviating as "MUD" (and referring to as mudville). Is this a reference to MA/"Casey"?

MUD could be anywhere you don't want to be.

Took 90 min at the Philly one about 3 years ago (after a red eye flight) and, while very basic, it fit the ticket perfectly for a place to grab a quality nap. (got away with a "freebie": they had only recently opened and it turned out the credit card equipment was inoperative that morning :)

I haven't been to CLE in probably 10 years. This was CLT. :)

MUD could be anywhere you don't want to be.

Let me guess: only AMEX accepted by vendors?

I haven't been to CLE in probably 10 years. This was CLT. :)

slip of the mind; yeah, I meant CLT ... been contemplating a run to CLE for "business". j