Sign in to follow this  
curly

Back after many years away - Starting Over

Hi,

I used to be an active member here way back when the forum was first started. I was a CreditBoard success story (see my signature), but unfortunately I am back in credit trouble again. I was so disappointed to have ruined all of my hard work, so I just ignored my credit for the last six-seven years waiting for things to fall off, which they are now starting to do. I need to start rebuilding since I will have an extremely thin file once the negatives fall off (or I push them off early).

A couple of questions to get started:

1. What is the best service for monitoring the Big 3 CRAs now? Still CreditKarma, or something else?

2. Any suggestions for a starter-secured CC?

3. Have there been any major changes in credit repair since I have been away?

4. I had three judgements on my reports but they appear to be gone. It has only been 3, 4 and 5 years since they were filed and expected them to stick around for a long time. I did not dispute them. Is it likely they will come back?

5. Where do you pull the real FICO scores from now?

Thank you in advance!

PS - The forum appears to not be nearly as busy as it used to be. Don't people need to repair their credit anymore?

Edited by curly

Welcome back.

Some of your points I can answer and others I can't, so here goes:

1. I have no personal knowledge, since I only do the annual report to check for inaccuracies. Someone else will have a good recommend for you.
2. BofA and Wells Fargo have nationally branded secured cards, as do many CUs and smaller banks. I don't know about Chase - I don't do business with them.
3. I don't know when you left, but bumpage is gone and laws are always evolving. Lots of little tricks and options have come and gone over the years.
4. What types of judgements were they?
5. FICO themselves sells their scoring - www1.myfico.com/products/onetimereports

With the most recent financial depression now a decade old, many of the people who were knee deep in short-sales, HELOC issues, and having other problems had their derogatories age of their reports.

1. What is the best service for monitoring the Big 3 CRAs now? Still CreditKarma, or something else?

Chase Credit Journey offers a free FICO score & credit report. VantageScore® 3.0 credit by TransUnion

Discover offers a free credit score by Experian.

I am not familiar with the best options for secured cards but I'm sure others can provide better info.

Probably. Laws change often it seems.

4. I had three judgements on my reports but they appear to be gone. It has only been 3, 4 and 5 years since they were filed and expected them to stick around for a long time. I did not dispute them. Is it likely they will come back?

They will come back since JDB still exists. Also, depending on what type of judgment they could prevent you from getting credit with those same companies.

I use Credit Check Total for FICO scores.

Thank you both so much for the responses.

Follow up questions:

1. How often can you pull on Chase Credit Journey? I would like to be able to monitor daily or weekly, if possible.

2.Since I don't have any debts with Wells Fargo and BofA, that might work out well.

3. Thanks. I was wondering about bumpage! Too bad!

4. What is JDB? Good point about them keeping me from getting credit with those companies. I hadn't thought about that.

They are CC COs - Discover and CapOne + Portfolio Recovery CA for a HSBC CO.

5. Are there still discounts for the FICO site?

Appreciate it!

Follow up questions:

1. How often can you pull on Chase Credit Journey? I would like to be able to monitor daily or weekly, if possible.

2.Since I don't have any debts with Wells Fargo and BofA, that might work out well.

4. What is JDB? Good point about them keeping me from getting credit with those companies. I hadn't thought about that.

Appreciate it!

Chase Journey updates weekly. I never tried to pull weekly but that it what the advertising reads.

Junk Debt Buyers = JDB they buy old debts that were charged off years ago and try to collect.

Getting credit/finances in order is a big New Year's resolution along with weight loss. I don't use the FICO site but there are probably coupon codes floating around for the new year.

Follow up questions:

Appreciate it!

Chase Journey updates weekly. I never tried to pull weekly but that it what the advertising reads.

Junk Debt Buyers = JDB they buy old debts that were charged off years ago and try to collect.

Getting credit/finances in order is a big New Year's resolution along with weight loss. I don't use the FICO site but there are probably coupon codes floating around for the new year.

Thanks again. Coincidentally, I think Chase Journey is what sparked my interest in finally dealing with this issue (not the New Year). I have Chase banking accounts and clicked on something offering my score. Since it wasn't in the 400's like I expected, I pulled my report to check and saw that some of my baddies had fallen off and others should be off now or very soon.

One of my judgements is listed as a CA but not a public record. Why would they do that? Is it more damaging to my credit that way?

A quick note about those JDBs: They buy it for pennies on the dollar, and an unpaid collections is scored the same as a paid one so, paying them is usually not necessary. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that (like when buying a house) but that's a really profitable racket for them, and they prey on the unsuspecting.

A quick note about those JDBs: They buy it for pennies on the dollar, and an unpaid collections is scored the same as a paid one so, paying them is usually not necessary. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that (like when buying a house) but that's a really profitable racket for them, and they prey on the unsuspecting.

This is not true with FICO 9. There is a score improvement for paid collections with FICO 9.

"Chase Credit Journey offers a free FICO score & credit report. VantageScore® 3.0 credit by TransUnion"

No. A mutually exclusive statement. Chase Credit Journey is NOT a FICO score. Yes, it is a VantageScore. Please don't confuse the two.

Hi Curly...I remember you from back in the day! I too am back with a similar story. I am fresh off a bk7 discharge. I have my house still and (of course) student loans. Time to start rebuilding. I burned just about everyone you could think of with my bk so I don't know who I might even be able a secured card with but I also here that Citibank has a secured card. Maybe we can be rebuilding accountability buddies. :sorry:

"Chase Credit Journey offers a free FICO score & credit report. VantageScore® 3.0 credit by TransUnion"

No. A mutually exclusive statement. Chase Credit Journey is NOT a FICO score. Yes, it is a VantageScore. Please don't confuse the two.

Correct. My error & too late to edit the post.

Chase Journey offers Vantage Scores, not FICO.

Discover FREE Credit scorecard offers FICO, Experian.

Hi Curly...I remember you from back in the day! I too am back with a similar story. I am fresh off a bk7 discharge. I have my house still and (of course) student loans. Time to start rebuilding. I burned just about everyone you could think of with my bk so I don't know who I might even be able a secured card with but I also here that Citibank has a secured card. Maybe we can be rebuilding accountability buddies. :sorry:

Great to see you! I am so happy to be remembered! Do you have the same username as before?

I burned A LOT of creditors with whom I PGed company credit cards. I am not sure which CC companies have BLs now but I am sure I will find out in time.

Do you know your scores?

Edited by curly

Update: Before I figured out my password and username here I disputed a bunch of old derog CLs on Transunion online as obsolete. Out of 12 disputes, 11 were removed (4 CAs and 7 COs). One CA was verified and updated so that isn't great but I am really happy overall! It only took four days. I still have some medical CAs that I have to dispute using WhyChat's method, but TU is already looking a lot better. I wish I could check my new score but I don't have a service where I can pull every day so I will have to wait a few.

Great to see you! I am so happy to be remembered! Do you have the same username as before?

I burned A LOT of creditors with whom I PGed company credit cards. I am not sure which CC companies have BLs now but I am sure I will find out in time.

Do you know your scores?

Yes, I have the same username as before. I don't know my scores yet. My BK was just discharged on 1/3 so I am going to give it a min to settle lol. I'll pull my reports and scores early Feb. So disappointed with myself for getting back to this point. I had no credit cards (except Target) until early 2014 and it all crashed a burned after I had my twins and my student loan payments became due.

I am fresh off a bk7 discharge. I have my house still and (of course) student loans. Time to start rebuilding. I burned just about everyone you could think of with my bk so I don't know who I might even be able a secured card with but...

If you want to see how it's done, follow shifter's rebuilding thread. You are just a few months behind him.

Hi,

I used to be an active member here way back when the forum was first started. I was a CreditBoard success story (see my signature), but unfortunately I am back in credit trouble again. I was so disappointed to have ruined all of my hard work, so I just ignored my credit for the last six-seven years waiting for things to fall off, which they are now starting to do. I need to start rebuilding since I will have an extremely thin file once the negatives fall off (or I push them off early).

A couple of questions to get started:

Thank you in advance!

PS - The forum appears to not be nearly as busy as it used to be. Don't people need to repair their credit anymore?

I use credit karma to get an idea of what is on my reports. If you use them, ignore the credit scores on the site. Credit check total sounds decent.

As for secured cards, try to get one that graduates. Citibank, Cap1, Discover, and BOA graduate. Cap1 is usually the most forgiving, but in your situation, I'd go for Citibank or Discover. Wells Fargo you need an account with them, and BOA is not very forgiving. There's a sticky on blacklists.

A new law was enacted last year that may have made your judgements disappear. I don't have any experience with judgements (knock on wood), but I believe all of the case's info has to match yours, or it was taken off. I don't know if it can be reinserted by a JDB without all of the correct info. I would look into it.

I know this post is a couple months old, so any updates?

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk