Sign in to follow this  
TheVig

Dining and shopping portals to earn extra miles and points

​Ever since I got the Amex Blue Delta card, Amex SPG, Amex PRG and IHG MC, I've been extra conscious about what spend goes on what card.

Not sure how many of you use portals to help achieve your goals, but my Skymiles and IHG accounts especially have grown quite nicely. Thank you CB!

So do any of you guys and gals use portals as part of your spending routine?

Yes and yes.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com was my main travel portal for a while, and I earned more than 50,000 miles this way. We currently can't use AA miles as fast we earn them, so I mainly use TopCashBack now. Even if I could use the AA miles, I would still get more value out of the cash.

I also belong to multiple dining networks, but I rarely direct my restaurant business based on whether I'll earn miles. I belong to United's, for example, and I make sure that I make a purchase at Wendy's using a linked card at least once every 18 months to keep my handful of United miles from expiring.

The dining networks are nice for the occasional surprise mileage deposit for a meal I would have otherwise forgotten.

Edited by cv91915

This site https://www.cashbackmonitor.com was instrumental in steering my cash portal business from Ebates to TCB.

TCB payback rates are significantly better than Ebates, however Ebates is more lax with enforcing terms like the supposed prohibition against using coupon codes not found on the Ebates site. So Ebates still has a niche for me.

If a retailer is on neither network, I can often find them on AA. If not on one of these three I just take a deep breath and let it go...

Edited by cv91915

CBM is always instrumental in the process. You never know what will jump out on a planned purchase. TCB, Ebates, AA, Chase, Discover Deals etc.

I made 620 Skymiles on that Buca meal tonight.

Amex Blue Delta gives me 2 miles per dollar by default for all restaurants. Delta dining rewards gives me 5 miles per dollar since I earned VIP satus. And Buca happens to participate. 7 miles per dollar made the meal a little more palatable. Lol.

Amex Blue Delta gives me 2 miles per dollar by default for all restaurants. Delta dining rewards gives me 5 miles per dollar since I earned VIP satus. And Buca happens to participate. 7 miles per dollar made the meal a little more palatable. Lol.

At least it wasn't Olive Garden.

Tomato Tomato

Tomato Tomato

I've been to Olive Garden ~twice and Buca di Blech ~once.

Olive < Buca in my admittedly limited sample.

I use Ebates. I'll check out TCB. Thanks for the tip.

Ebates has a mobile app that gets you cash back on in-store purchases too.

I use this religiously to get 1% back on SodaStream CO2 cylinder exchanges at Bed Bath & Beyond. It adds up at 10 cents a pop. :P

I need to be as disciplined with using the Ebates app in meatspace as I am using the web site when I'm shopping from a browser.

Edited by cv91915

That's the goal going into 2018 to max my benefits

My goal is going to be to overclock the benefits where I can gain the most efficiency and value and to ignore the benefits that take more effort to generate than they are worth.

My goal is going to be to overclock the benefits where I can gain the most efficiency and value and to ignore the benefits that take more effort to generate than they are worth.

FYI: 6x Plenti points on qualifying convenience store purchases at Exxon Mobil !!!!!!!!!!!

I use Ebates. I'll check out TCB. Thanks for the tip.

Ebates has a mobile app that gets you cash back on in-store purchases too.

Uber Offers powered by Visa

DOSH

Thats the goal going into 2018 to max my benefits out.

Just work it into your routine. It's easy money!

FYI: 6x Plenti points on qualifying convenience store purchases at Exxon Mobil !!!!!!!!!!!

I actually picked up a Plenti card at Rite-Aid a few months ago, but I have never presented it to allow my account to be credited for any purchase.

I think I'll keep it that way.

I actually picked up a Plenti card at Rite-Aid a few months ago, but I have never presented it to allow my account to be credited for any purchase.

Not even for $1 back per $1,000 spent at Macy's?

I've found DOSH and AA Dining to both credit on the same purchase.

Not even.

Not even.

I've never heard of DOSH, I'll have to look into it.

Not even.

I've never heard of DOSH, I'll have to look into it.

I just added a referral link in my sig if you want to try it out ;)

The restaurants are hit and miss like the airline dining programs can be. The best use for me has been the 2% at Sam's.

​DOSH has some potential depending on what credit card earning scenario you want to use.

Some of the restaurants on DOSH also participate in the airline dining programs.

One of my favorite restaurants and watering holes is listed on both.......

Delta Blue Amex 2 miles per dollar

Delta Dining 5 miles per dollar

DOSH 7% cash back

That's just one scenario. Hell if I just went straight CB with the right card, I could hit 14% CB.

Found this by accident.

thanksagain.com

Airport centric. Earn points you can convert to airline miles.

Earn AA miles for taking surveys. www.milesforopinions.com

My time is too valuable, but little vig stumbled across the site, and she can't stand to see me pass up free miles. She does the leg work (takes the surveys), while my mileage account grows. lol.

I didn't think much about it, until about 15k miles hit my AA account yesterday.

Edited by TheVig

Earn AA miles for taking surveys. www.milesforopinions.com

My time is too valuable, but little vig stumbled across the site, and she can't stand to see me pass up free miles. She does the leg work (takes the surveys), while my mileage account grows. lol.

I didn't think much about it, until about 15k miles hit my AA account yesterday.

I've never considered adoption before, but PM me if you ever get sick of her.

A few months ago I went out to dinner at a fancy Brazilian steakhouse with 16 other people. I offered to put the entire tab on my card. Miraculously, everybody was set to pay cash. I collected the cash and paid the $1500 check on Chase Sapphire Reserve which earned 4500 points. I was satisfied with that, but as I left the restaurant, I received a text from Mog'l (a restaurant cashback program linked to my CSR) saying that I earned $93. Then I got an email from the United dine program that I had earned 7500 miles. I didn't choose the restaurant and had no idea that I would end up getting a free meal plus 12,000 points to eat at this fabulous restaurant.

Edited by daveberk

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines