Sign in to follow this  
shadekitty

Upgrade link for Capital One Cards

FWIW there's a rumor that doing this upgrade link only checks ONE of your cards for an upgrade.

I putzed around Capital One's HTML/JS source code a few weeks ago and I think I found a way to manually check EVERY card for an upgrade (if the above is true):

1. Go to the Capital One site
  2. Click on one of your cards and load that page up (it'll give you a URL with long list string of numbers and letters)
  3. Append "/productupgrade" to the end of that URL and hit enter
  4. It'll tell you if that card can be upgraded or not
  5. Go to every other card and repeat steps 2-4 for each card

I haven't been able to test it myself but I'd like someone who is denied an upgrade from the link posted here, but who has multiple cards, to test it out.

So, what happens if I upgrade my old platinum to a quicksilver? Does it close my platinum account that I have had for years and open a new account or does it just change the card?

So, what happens if I upgrade my old platinum to a quicksilver? Does it close my platinum account that I have had for years and open a new account or does it just change the card?

Same CC info but the CVV/Exp change. Also, it restarts the timer for the every 6 month rule on a new card app.

Thanks, upgrade options for me are Quicksilver (No AF), Venture (AF) and Venture One (No AF), 4% APR for all three. I am thinking the Quicksilver is probably the best bet.

FWIW there's a rumor that doing this upgrade link only checks ONE of your cards for an upgrade.

I putzed around Capital One's HTML/JS source code a few weeks ago and I think I found a way to manually check EVERY card for an upgrade (if the above is true):

• Go to the Capital One site
  • Click on one of your cards and load that page up (it'll give you a URL with long list string of numbers and letters)
  • Append "/productupgrade" to the end of that URL and hit enter
  • It'll tell you if that card can be upgraded or not
  • Go to every other card and repeat steps 2-4 for each card
I haven't been able to test it myself but I'd like someone who is denied an upgrade from the link posted here, but who has multiple cards, to test it out.

I will have to try that today. A PC.

Though.. I did just get a generous CLI from them a month ago, out of nowhere! An Auto CLI.

So there is still love.

1. Go to the Capital One site
  2. Click on one of your cards and load that page up (it'll give you a URL with long list string of numbers and letters)
  3. Append "/productupgrade" to the end of that URL and hit enter
  4. It'll tell you if that card can be upgraded or not
  5. Go to every other card and repeat steps 2-4 for each card

I tried it for my BuyPowerCard from CrapOne and I got "Upgrade Not Available Unfortunately, this upgrade is no longer available. This could be for a variety of reasons, including your account going into a default, restricted, closed, or changed status since we initially sent you this offer."

Doing it for my Quicksilver One card, it just redirected me back to the main page.

I combined two of my Capital one cards last week. The best interest rate was the platinum card with no annual fee. I dont really use these cards for anything, I have better rewards cards. So should I have combined to Quicksilver rather than Platinum? If so, why?

I combined two of my Capital one cards last week. The best interest rate was the platinum card with no annual fee. I dont really use these cards for anything, I have better rewards cards. So should I have combined to Quicksilver rather than Platinum? If so, why?

If you don't carry balances, which you shouldn't, you should focus on rewards, not APR. At least QS gives you 1.5% cash back.

If you don't carry balances, which you shouldn't, you should focus on rewards, not APR. At least QS gives you 1.5% cash back.

Gotchya, I thought that would be the answer. I will try to upgrade in a few months. To many pulls right now.

There's no point in even switching to that 1.5%. Do you not have at least a 2% card? Even 3-5% is not unheard of, especially in categories.

That's why Crap1 is just that. The only thing worthwhile is the SUB, if you're into playing that kind of game.

Edited by Jon77

I have cards that are much better than 1.5%, Like I stated above, I really just keep the cards because I dont want to cancel them, more for age and Limit.

Then maybe you should look into switching to a product that normally provides better limits rather than cashback. Not sure if Crap1 does this.

What I mean is switch to a different Crap1 card that has given CB'ers higher limits. This may not be the 1.5% card.

Edited by Jon77

I hate Crap1 for their lack of moral compass rather than lack of perks. This went back 10yrs before the CFPB, FCRA, local/state, and other laws existed to better protect the consumers.

They were bottom feeders. They would issue very low limit cards around $100-300 to almost everyone, even with good credit. Then when you complained about the low limit, they more than happily presented to you the option to apply for 2 more cards so you could place the balances across them all. This was their way of trying to get you to miss a payment on one of them. Once you missed a payment on one, you would go into default on them ALL, known as "universal default". They would jack up your interest, tack on outrageous fees, close all your accounts, etc. to a point that no one could keep up with. They would call you at all hours of the day at home/work. They had their own in-house collection agency (still do) and never sold your account or bargained with you for payment. They would update your reports every month on both the original account and the collection account. They would do so WELL beyond the legal reporting as they were known for re-aging the accounts. It was illegal back then as well, but they didn't care as the penalty for doing so wasn't that bad. After you thought you were done and they had forgotten about you, some would think they could get back in with Crap1 and apply for another card. Some reported that they would add that previous debt to the new card. They only cared about the laws in the state they were in, not the state in which YOU resided. They had no boundaries unless you were smart enough to know better.

I'm sure there is more, but my memory only goes back so far. I just know if it weren't for the current laws, Crap1 would be playing the same games, whereas even back then your better creditors would just cut their losses and move on. I know a lot of you just got here, or are too young to know, but I still see Crap1 playing these games. Their lack of a good product, and still providing a plethora of sub-prime cards is proof enough to me that they are still the same scum. Like I said, it's only because of the new laws and credit hitting the front pages that keeps them in check.

Edited by Jon77