Sign in to follow this  
AustinGuy907

Whiny little bastards....

Citi Costco Experian accept.png 800 $10,500 N/A TX N/A 2017-11-12 VERY disappointed, have 18,000 on another Citi card, tried to get them to cancel card, but I will wait and cancel when I get it (not accept terms of service),, Chase 20k/18k, Discover 27.7k Citi 10k????

Did this person forget to lookup approvals before applying? Anyone that has a clue knows that Citi doesn't approve with high limits to start off with. I'm sure there's a couple of people that pulled off a 20K+ approval CL with Citi but, it's like a golden unicorn from what I've seen.

Citi Costco Experian accept.png 800 $10,500 N/A TX N/A 2017-11-12 VERY disappointed, have 18,000 on another Citi card, tried to get them to cancel card, but I will wait and cancel when I get it (not accept terms of service),, Chase 20k/18k, Discover 27.7k Citi 10k????

Did this person forget to lookup approvals before applying? Anyone that has a clue knows that Citi doesn't approve with high limits to start off with. I'm sure there's a couple of people that pulled off a 20K+ approval CL with Citi but, it's like a golden unicorn from what I've seen.

my recent citi approval was for 35k. I guess that is not a high limit? my prior citi approval was 25k

well I have no problem with someone being disappointed with an initial limit.

where they are whiny is trying to cancel a new trade.

exactly.... but, expecting Citi to come close to your highest limits is unreasonable from what's been posted. Hege I know you have a pocket full of plastic that would easily be 5X that for your median CL. The posted info puts them at about 20K average and considering the application of a co-brand skews things a bit more towards the lower side anyway.

The history of posts on Citi though garners a typical approval sub 15K and mostly under 10K. It's just how they issue most of the posted approvals. I did my research on Chase and BOA and fell right in the median / top end for approvals that had been posted for both. Knowing your prey is half of the hunt ;) What you do after you capture your prey is what matters more. If you push them for what you really want then you stand a better chance of getting it rather than throwing a temper tantrum over an approval.

Hundreds of reasons why the initial line was not what they expected. So what?

It's an approval with a very decent credit limit.

It would be foolhardy to cancel it just for that reason. It's an overreaction to a business decision.

My first Citi card was relatively low, but like other cards I applied for, it grew into a pretty hefty limit over the course of years.

Edited by NorCalR1

My recent Citi CB approval was for my highest limit yet and was $3300 higher than my highest reporting card. I have no issues with them at this point honestly.

Citi is known for stingy limits on your first card. After that they give big limits.

Where does the house brand vs co-brand matter? I've never noticed a credit limit difference between the two.

Citi is known for stingy limits on your first card. After that they give big limits.

Where does the house brand vs co-brand matter? I've never noticed a credit limit difference between the two.

Well that said, I do still have a pre authorized mailer for the DP card. Dare I?

They are tighter with limits on their retail cards such as Shell and, to a lesser extent, Macy's.

Citi has been ok with me. Like you mentioned, first card started off thin, but second one was decent. And both get 6-month magic limit increases.

Edited by PotO

well I have no problem with someone being disappointed with an initial limit.

where they are whiny is trying to cancel a new trade.

Cancellation may be over the top. I'd get the SUB and then combine it with the first Citi card, if that can even be done on their Costco card. If it couldn't be done, I'd nuke the card, too, absent any other redeeming value. Some like Mr. NDPF might think a $10.5k card is cool, but for me it's an eyesore.

Edited by PotO

They are tighter with limits on their retail cards such as Shell and, to a lesser extent, Macy's.

Citi has been ok with me. Like you mentioned, first card started off thin, but second one was decent. And both get 6-month magic limit increases.

I don't even consider Citi's retail portfolio like Best Buy, Macy's, Shell etc to be co-branded CC's.

Hundreds of reasons why the initial line was not what they expected. So what?

It's an approval with a very decent credit limit.

It would be foolhardy to cancel it just for that reason. It's an overreaction to a business decision.

My first Citi card was relatively low, but like other cards I applied for, it grew into a pretty hefty limit over the course of years.

I was about to say, high limits can usually come from time and persistence.

Usually you apply for these branded cards because of the rewards, not the ungodly limits. They seem like decent rewards to me so why complain? I didn't care that Chase Amazon only gave me $5k even though that's now my lowest limit. I just wanted the 5%.

Not everyone has low expectations.

Edited by Konrad2012

I don't even consider Citi's retail portfolio like Best Buy, Macy's, Shell etc to be co-branded CC's.

True. Co-branded isn't the right word, but not sure what to call them. Mutant credit turdys? I wish they were the same as their non-retail credit products so then maybe I could get them up to a respectable limit.

1st card Diamond Preferred 5,400

2nd AAdvantage 5,500, then combined them -> 10,900

3rd Double Cash 11,200

I was under the impression (from the Master Issuers Who Will Combine Limits thread that I am too unskilled to link to here), that combining Citi CLs was a YMMV situation. I may need to try that for me, when my AAdvantage card nears it's 1-year mark.