Sign in to follow this  
mychihuahuabites

Cleaned my Credit...Now what? Also, Travel CC (Frontier?)

Hello! I'm looking for guidance on a couple things. I'll try to keep it brief. Thank you:

1) HISTORY: Thanks to help from CB, my score has improved from appx ~520 to 752. I have 2% CC utilization (appx $250k in credit thanks to a friend adding me as authorized user on his accounts. My personal access to credit is only about $29k). I believe it was my FICO that said the major things I could do to help my credit at this point would be getting a mortgage and age of accounts. I'm a single girl living alone in Denver and I am not in the market for a house (my car is also paid off so I don't plan on getting a new car until my current one dies).

2) Is there anything else I should do to help raise my score at this point, other than keep balances low, pay off cards in full each month, make payments on time, etc?

3) I have two credit cards. Navy Federal Flagship Rewards and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm most interested in travel rewards (as far as CC go). I love to travel. I haven't applied for any other cards, but I'm thinking it may be a good idea to increase my personal line of credit. I tried to search the forum but I couldn't see a specific place where I might find advice on how to best approach applying for new credit cards (I know there must be a spot though, lol).

4) Because I live in Denver, and fly on Frontier frequently to visit family, I was considering applying for the Frontier World MasterCard (with the $69 annual fee). Does anyone have this card and is it worth it? I can easily spend the $500 in 90 days for the 40k bonus miles, which they claim you can redeem for two domestic round-trip tickets. Rewards are 2 miles per dollar spent on Fly Frontier (their flights are dirt cheap though). So I feel like I would really only be getting this for the bonus miles and then using the card solely to book frontier flights. Not sure if that makes it worth it for the $69 annual fee... Or am I better just using my Chase Sapphire?

Anyway, thanks so much! CB is the best <3

Hello! I'm looking for guidance on a couple things. I'll try to keep it brief. Thank you:

1) HISTORY: Thanks to help from CB, my score has improved from appx ~520 to 752. I have 2% CC utilization (appx $250k in credit thanks to a friend adding me as authorized user on his accounts. My personal access to credit is only about $29k). I believe it was my FICO that said the major things I could do to help my credit at this point would be getting a mortgage and age of accounts. I'm a single girl living alone in Denver and I am not in the market for a house (my car is also paid off so I don't plan on getting a new car until my current one dies).

2) Is there anything else I should do to help raise my score at this point, other than keep balances low, pay off cards in full each month, make payments on time, etc?

3) I have two credit cards. Navy Federal Flagship Rewards and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm most interested in travel rewards (as far as CC go). I love to travel. I haven't applied for any other cards, but I'm thinking it may be a good idea to increase my personal line of credit. I tried to search the forum but I couldn't see a specific place where I might find advice on how to best approach applying for new credit cards (I know there must be a spot though, lol).

4) Because I live in Denver, and fly on Frontier frequently to visit family, I was considering applying for the Frontier World MasterCard (with the $69 annual fee). Does anyone have this card and is it worth it? I can easily spend the $500 in 90 days for the 40k bonus miles, which they claim you can redeem for two domestic round-trip tickets. Rewards are 2 miles per dollar spent on Fly Frontier (their flights are dirt cheap though). So I feel like I would really only be getting this for the bonus miles and then using the card solely to book frontier flights. Not sure if that makes it worth it for the $69 annual fee... Or am I better just using my Chase Sapphire?

Anyway, thanks so much! CB is the best <3

could you tell me how u clean your credit and how long it took you to increase your score by almost 200 points ? I’m looking to do the same thing at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please tell us how you cleaned your credit report and how long it took u to raise your score by almost 200 points ? I️ would like to clean mine as well

1 - nothing needed with a 752 /// if you want to tweak things you could use the Alliant hack for an installment line but, not really necessary, mortgage not needed either

2 - keep on keepin on

3 - should be good here

4 - going carrier specific doesn't really payoff all that well in comparison to other rewards systems like Chase UR or Amex or name your bank

Only time and good history will add points. Sure you could potentially pick up 20-30 points with #1 but, not really necessary to pick up the best terms or improve approvals odds. However if CSP / NFCU are your only cards you have then adding a couple more would be beneficial for scoring purposes though back to #1 not really needed. However, lender diversity is a good idea in case there's a market shift and they get jumpy about something and AA you in some way like CLD. I would look into some other options like BOA, Amex, Citi, CU's, etc. to get some backup options.

The Frontier CC is horrible. Frontier points are worth like $0.01/each. So the SUB is essentially ~$400 but locked into Frontier. Otherwise the card is completely worthless with 2pt/$ on Frontier spend and 1pt/$ on all other spend. It gives you no checked bag or early boarding. About the only thing it does give you is an annual fee.

Could you please tell us how you cleaned your credit report and how long it took u to raise your score by almost 200 points ? I️ would like to clean mine as well

Hello! I used WhyChat's method. I requested my reports and worked to get the baddies removed. They were almost all medical and I was able to remove 100%. It took me about a year I believe. I highly recommend following Why Chat's guide :)

Hello! I used WhyChat's method. I requested my reports and worked to get the baddies removed. They were almost all medical and I was able to remove 100%. It took me about a year I believe. I highly recommend following Why Chat's guide :)
why chat guide ? How do I️ find it ?

You need to starting by authoring your own thread and outlining the derogatory information contained in your reports. Everyone's situation is different.

1 - nothing needed with a 752 /// if you want to tweak things you could use the Alliant hack for an installment line but, not really necessary, mortgage not needed either

2 - keep on keepin on

3 - should be good here

4 - going carrier specific doesn't really payoff all that well in comparison to other rewards systems like Chase UR or Amex or name your bank

Only time and good history will add points. Sure you could potentially pick up 20-30 points with #1 but, not really necessary to pick up the best terms or improve approvals odds. However if CSP / NFCU are your only cards you have then adding a couple more would be beneficial for scoring purposes though back to #1 not really needed. However, lender diversity is a good idea in case there's a market shift and they get jumpy about something and AA you in some way like CLD. I would look into some other options like BOA, Amex, Citi, CU's, etc. to get some backup options.

Thanks so much! Yes, CSP/NFCU are the only two credit cards I have so I will look into other options, as you suggested.

The Frontier CC is horrible. Frontier points are worth like $0.01/each. So the SUB is essentially ~$400 but locked into Frontier. Otherwise the card is completely worthless with 2pt/$ on Frontier spend and 1pt/$ on all other spend. It gives you no checked bag or early boarding. About the only thing it does give you is an annual fee.

Thank you, that's good to know! Even though I fly with them fairly often, the flights are always super cheap. My flight next week was only $38, lol. I never check bags, and I actually purchased a "personal size" bag to use with frontier and spirit so I rarely have to pay for a carry on unless I really need it. I travel light. Anyway, seeing as this is the case with frontier, I don't see myself accruing points with them at any reasonable rate. And like you said, the annual fee is a deterrent, with such minimal benefits.

Thank you, that's good to know! Even though I fly with them fairly often, the flights are always super cheap. My flight next week was only $38, lol. I never check bags, and I actually purchased a "personal size" bag to use with frontier and spirit so I rarely have to pay for a carry on unless I really need it. I travel light. Anyway, seeing as this is the case with frontier, I don't see myself accruing points with them at any reasonable rate. And like you said, the annual fee is a deterrent, with such minimal benefits.

If you travel enough, you should consider product changing your CSP to a CSRsv. Especially if you don't already have Global Entry or TSA Precheck. You'll pay a lesser effective annual fee the first year than you do with the CSP. If you don't find the added earnings structure or benefits fit your needs, you can always change back to the CSP after a year.

Edited by Konrad2012

If you travel enough, you should consider product changing your CSP to a CSRsv. Especially if you don't already have Global Entry or TSA Precheck. You'll pay a lesser effective annual fee the first year than you do with the CSP. If you don't find the added earnings structure or benefits fit your needs, you can always change back to the CSP after a year.

Funny you mention that because I was actually looking at submitting an application online for TSA Precheck.I did read that there is a credit for TSA Precheck with CSRsv. I've had my CSP for hmm...6 months. The $450 annual fee for CSRsv did frighten me, to be honest lol. I didn't realize that you could switch to regular CSP if you find that the benefits of CSRsv are not really worth the annual fee. I do travel a decent amount, but not for work or with any set regulatory. However, even taking one trip a month may make it worth it (and I've been on five trips in the past couple months).

Funny you mention that because I was actually looking at submitting an application online for TSA Precheck.I did read that there is a credit for TSA Precheck with CSRsv. I've had my CSP for hmm...6 months. The $450 annual fee for CSRsv did frighten me, to be honest lol. I didn't realize that you could switch to regular CSP if you find that the benefits of CSRsv are not really worth the annual fee. I do travel a decent amount, but not for work or with any set regulatory. However, even taking one trip a month may make it worth it (and I've been on five trips in the past couple months).

I'm not sure if Chase would allow a PC on a 6 month old card. The $450 AF of the Reserve gets offset by $300 in travel statement credit and the $95 Precheck credit.

Another thing the Reserve does is give you $0.015/UR redemptions when travel is booked through the Chase UR portal. So your spend on Frontier would get you essentially 4.5% cash back if you chose to use the URs in that manner.

I'm not sure if Chase would allow a PC on a 6 month old card. The $450 AF of the Reserve gets offset by $300 in travel statement credit and the $95 Precheck credit.

Another thing the Reserve does is give you $0.015/UR redemptions when travel is booked through the Chase UR portal. So your spend on Frontier would get you essentially 4.5% cash back if you chose to use the URs in that manner.

Yes, I did some some research after replying to your post here. It appears I would need to have the card for 12 months before I can PC to reserve. That makes sense. I do think I will PC when the 12 mo mark rolls around, though. I currently have about 68k rewards points on my CSP and I did read that those will transfer over if I PC, so I can still redeem them at the $0.015, thus upping the value. However, in the interim I won't be accruing 3x points on travel.

Question... I opened my CSP mid June and currently have a $0 balance on the card (I have used it frequently, especially getting the $4k in spending for bonus points the first few months). My CL with CSP is $8.5K. Should I request a CL increase or wait? My other card (NFCU card started me with $15k CL and then when I requested increase they bumped it to $20k). Would asking for a CL increase with Chase hurt when it comes to applying for several new credit cards here soon? Thank you :)

Happy Birthday, btw.

Edited by mychihuahuabites

Chase isn't well known for their credit limit increases. Though it is possible to get them. Perhaps you would be better off applying for another Chase card and moving some or all of the balance to create a higher limit card.

Some possibilities are:

Apply for a Freedom or a Freedom Unlimited card and get the SUB for that card and use it to earn either 5xURs in categories or 1.5xURs on all purchases.

Apply for a Sapphire Reserve and get the higher SUB for that card and later PC your Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.

However. Five months isn't a very long history from Chase's (underwriter's) perspective. So you may not be approved. But. It's only an inquiry.

Yes, I did some some research after replying to your post here. It appears I would need to have the card for 12 months before I can PC to reserve. That makes sense. I do think I will PC when the 12 mo mark rolls around, though. I currently have about 68k rewards points on my CSP and I did read that those will transfer over if I PC, so I can still redeem them at the $0.015, thus upping the value. However, in the interim I won't be accruing 3x points on travel.

Question... I opened my CSP mid June and currently have a $0 balance on the card (I have used it frequently, especially getting the $4k in spending for bonus points the first few months). My CL with CSP is $8.5K. Should I request a CL increase or wait? My other card (NFCU card started me with $15k CL and then when I requested increase they bumped it to $20k). Would asking for a CL increase with Chase hurt when it comes to applying for several new credit cards here soon? Thank you :)

Happy Birthday, btw.

I'd call Chase and ask about the product change. You are changing the card within the same family, and to a card with an increased annual fee, so there might be fewer obstacles.

Common thinking used to be it was easier to get a new card with Chase and combine limits as opposed to going after CLIs. With banks becoming more skittish about new accounts (especially Chase) I'm not sure if that line of thought is now as relevant as before.