Open tomfoolery or coincidental

astro777c

The last post in this topic was posted 1925 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Rarely open topics very much but this is one that might be of help for new others, or maybe not.

So I pull into a Raceway Fuel station in Kentucky over the weekend. Gas Prices 2.13 at bare minimum so why not fill up there while on a trip. Seems these types like to compete for lowest numbers as a draw for business and I don't mind burning sub-par once in awhile especially when the numbers are on the decline.

I do not use pump card readers unless I swing through Sam's Club. Personal preference.

Works best for me to also go into the station to POS terminals and I seen them all. Well this one as usual for these type places had no chip reader so I proceeded to do the routine slide routine. It appeared it was an older Verafone so after the input the wheel just spins and spins and nothing is going through. This cashier says I have to enter the 3 digit code on the back of the card and that she has to do it on her end not the POS Terminal for customers.

A big red flag goes up on hearing this oddball request and so I instead choose to subsequently just Prepay the fuel in cash.

I never ever have had any station ask to dish out the CVV code so of course I refused.

My question is this. Isn't that NOT so safe such a request for card paying customers? Things like that make me shake my head on the way out the door and the immediate thoughts that run through my head are what if all those other card customers divvy up their code, what's to say that place might could be operating a little pick n choose trap.

Or was I just being overly protective about that?

You can never be to careful and it's always good to be alert. :good:

Well the ordeal flicked on that internal instinct that something about that didn't sound at all right.

Seems it's always better to side on caution especially how things are so loose these days.

You should report them.

Thanks for the good suggestion Kat. In the interest of just plain common business sense and for the safety of unsuspecting card customers it falls to me to track that business head because I hardly doubt any reasonably responsible store manager would be that lax and besides, it just gives the blatant appearance of shady practice to open ask a customer to state their cvv number after they already have the card number after the slide process.

In short, it just plain stinks to operate that way so I appreciate your suggestions and will make the effort to report them, period.

not sure why you would be scared. every time you enter a card online or give someone a card over the phone these days they take your CVV to input also. this is no different.

anyway, the CVV code is already included on the mag stripe data.

if they are running a scheme and swiping the mag data, they already have it.

the reason they ask the cashier to enter it is for the system to check it against what's already in the mag data.

the same reason some places have the cashier type in the last 4 digits of the card on the front to verify they're the same and somebody didn't just swap out a mag stripe.

not sure why you would be scared. every time you enter a card online or give someone a card over the phone these days they take your CVV to input also. this is no different.

anyway, the CVV code is already included on the mag stripe data.

if they are running a scheme and swiping the mag data, they already have it.

the reason they ask the cashier to enter it is for the system to check it against what's already in the mag data.

the same reason some places have the cashier type in the last 4 digits of the card on the front to verify they're the same and somebody didn't just swap out a mag stripe.

Not a matter of scared and it's true that each time we order online that cvv code is needed entered.

It could be premature to rush to conclusions but it's like anything else lately which you experience as a first. Gives you pause when it's not as expected compared to the usual routine most all other business POS transactions are conducted.

But you also can't be too careful these days with all the breaches and other incidents that crop up a lot.

I don't see an issue. The code is to verify you actually physically have the card. And it is NOT included in the magnetic stripe info. It's a way to check the card isn't counterfeited from using only the magnetic strip info.

Also, merchants have a right to examine the card, verify name, acct. number expiry, and check signature. It's a pretty trivial matter to remember the CVV code should they want to steal it and if they wanted to steal it the last thing they would do is ask for the code, they just "check your card and signature" which they are supposed to always do.

Edited by cashnocredit

The last post in this topic was posted 1925 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.