Best Credit Card for people with NO Credit

The last post in this topic was posted 1505 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

It's good to be back after a long hiatus. Boy I've been going through threads and discussions for 6 hours now and I can't put my finger on the correct answer.

I am trying to help someone new in the country build their credit from scratch. They had applied for a Cap1 platinum to no avail. I know store cards are a good start but which one. Some of the info I read seems outdated. Can you guys help?

Also they need a Credit card because they travel a lot and need to rent a vehicle from time to time.

Finally, I am glad this topic brought me back here because I needed to brush up on my credit knowledge.

Thank you all.

The surefire way is for you to add them as an AU on a couple cards. They'll eventually have a score and can move forward from there.

Otherwise I'd have them walk in to a local credit union that offers a secured card and start a relationship.

Yup!

You can even shred the cards so they can't be used, they just show up on their credit report.

I piggyback friends and family every now and then.

It is best if they have their own primary, so a secured is also a good idea.

Open Sky will give a secured without a HP. good luck

The surefire way is for you to add them as an AU on a couple cards. They'll eventually have a score and can move forward from there.

Otherwise I'd have them walk in to a local credit union that offers a secured card and start a relationship.

this..again

BTW is OpenSky upgradable to unsecured cc like the Cap1 QS?

No. With the AU cards and 1 primary, after a few months, they can get most anything. Been there done it many many times.

Just make sure you add them to an older line with a decent limit and low utilization. good luck

BTW is OpenSky upgradable to unsecured cc like the Cap1 QS?

No. With the AU cards and 1 primary, after a few months, they can get most anything. Been there done it many many times.

Just make sure you add them to an older line with a decent limit and low utilization. good luck

If you can't do the AU thing, Discovers' secured card is by far the best choice (as far as secured cards).

Well, the fastest way to get real credit is to have someone add him/her as an authorized user on a credit card. That should get the person at least a 650 FICO immediately. If this person is your friend, help him/her out or find someone on the forum willing to do so. Alternatively, there are websites that sell tradelines, but expect to Shell out at least 400 bucks.

A secured credit card will get your friend credit in about six months' time. If your friend just needs a card to pay with, a debit card can do anything a credit card can, and there's no fee involved.

Well, the fastest way to get real credit is to have someone add him/her as an authorized user on a credit card. That should get the person at least a 650 FICO immediately. If this person is your friend, help him/her out or find someone on the forum willing to do so. Alternatively, there are websites that sell tradelines, but expect to Shell out at least 400 bucks.

A secured credit card will get your friend credit in about six months' time. If your friend just needs a card to pay with, a debit card can do anything a credit card can, and there's no fee involved.

any suggestions?

• Admin

We officially oppose the purchase of tradelines, but having a family member add an AU is the best way to help someone get started. Only get store cards if you shop at that store and get a discount for using the card, and never carry balances on store cards - it more than takes away any advantage you get from the discount for using the card.

Heg!

The last post in this topic was posted 1505 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.