American Express has a long memory

princedazzler

The last post in this topic was posted 2422 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So heres the deal I applied for a few cards in the last 30 days and was approved for all of them (Tough process since I havent applied for a card in over 10 years and only had 1 card usage that whole time)

One of the cards was the Amex Everyday credit card and they did the whole we need to verify yoiur home address through your bank on their letterhead crap. So I did that and had success, (Even though my bank lists my UPS address AS MY HOME)

I get the card and lo and behold It says member since 87 Damn. The story is when I was 18 I got the green card and within 6 months, Defaulted and havent heard anything else from them. Fast forward 30 years later I apply, Get approved, and instead of putting member since 17 It says 87? Ofcourse I figure they cross referenced my SS# from their database but the kicker is I went by a different name back then (Used my mothers maiden name because I resented my dad). Suprised they approved me knowing I left a... Im guessing a $5000 bill from 1987 and they didnt mention it.

Any thoughts?

As allotacards mentioned, they're going by dob and social. I too burned them in 89 and got back in with them over a year ago. My card(s) and online account say member since 1989, but unfortunately I missed the back-dating they were doing up until a few years ago....kinda sucks.

Congrats on getting back in though.

• 2 weeks later...

AMEX has their own internal scoring model. If they were included in your BK, about a decade will pass before they consider you. Some have gotten in a couple of years earlier and others had to wait many years more.

I never had a card with them ever.. but I have applied in the past and they denied b/c of BK the BK is about 6 years old now..

"Whats the minimum score now for AmEx?"

​As many CB members had said in the past it is not just about the credit score itself; it is a matter of your whole credit profile that takes input consideration. I've seen people that have had a low score of 620 and got approved and much more with a 650. But now AmEx credit guideline on approval is being more loosened or ease up on than it has been before. Good luck to you!

MP$80

"Whats the minimum score now for AmEx?"

​As many CB members had said in the past it is not just about the credit score itself; it is a matter of your whole credit profile that takes input consideration. I've seen people that have had a low score of 620 and got approved and much more with a 650. But now AmEx credit guideline on approval is being more loosened or ease up on than it has been before. Good luck to you!

MP$80

Thanks its not anything I want right now I was just curious.. I need to age and rebuild more so I was just inquiring..

It's a good thing, OP, that your account is noted member since 87 because the front line reps, at least, and maybe everyone up the chain who doesn't dig deeper, thinks you've been a member continuously since 87.

Might help you get what you want when you call CS.

Edited by daveberk

I got back in Amex. this year. and it says member since 2007. I filed BKin 2012 but the BK was not fulfilled. Anyway. 2 years ago I paid Amex the 2000 I owed them from the 2 Delta Sky miles , personal and business. Personal Blue Skymiles is at 25%. and the gold business is at 20%. I will use very rarely. High fees.... I applied for the Blue everyday card and I was denied my Experian is at 642. And BK still shows on Experian. still shows BK dismissed. I will wait the 61 days to ask for lower fees etc. And hopefully that BK will leave all of my other reports are fairly clean.

Discover 1000, Navy 25,000 Cap 1 1500. TU 673, EX 642, EQ 654

I got back in Amex. this year. and it says member since 2007. I filed BKin 2012 but the BK was not fulfilled. Anyway. 2 years ago I paid Amex the 2000 I owed them from the 2 Delta Sky miles , personal and business. Personal Blue Skymiles is at 25%. and the gold business is at 20%. I will use very rarely. High fees.... I applied for the Blue everyday card and I was denied my Experian is at 642. And BK still shows on Experian. still shows BK dismissed. I will wait the 61 days to ask for lower fees etc. And hopefully that BK will leave all of my other reports are fairly clean.

Discover 1000, Navy 25,000 Cap 1 1500. TU 673, EX 642, EQ 654

Comgrats on getting back in with Amex.

There are a number of no-AF cards, and many ways to more than recoup the fees on cards that have AFs.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=537874&p=5676297

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=578323&p=5690606

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542359&p=5686695

It's just a matter of choosing the right card for your needs.

The last post in this topic was posted 2422 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.