Sign in to follow this  
Kat58

How Do Credit Card Companies Spot Fraud?

This article really is interesting. It starts off with "According to CreditDonkey.com..."

As if this site is somehow a deep well of integrity and knowledge? I've never heard of such a site and with a name like that, who would take anything there seriously? That would be like looking at a site called CreditMonkey or something. Cracks me up!

Adult friend finder??

That was the Ashley Madison hack, I believe.

You guys need to get the Internet

One thing I learned -- The bank will lock down your card in a heartbeat if they see two charges on the same card from the same gas station in one day.

Also, my credit union Visa automatically declines any and all charges I try to make at a physical Apple Store. I always have to call the number and verify it's me if I want to charge something at an Apple Store.  The amount does not matter.  It's as though whenever thieves steal a physical credit card, they make a beeline to the nearest Apple Store and try to buy Apple crap.

9 hours ago, Burdell said:

One thing I learned -- The bank will lock down your card in a heartbeat if they see two charges on the same card from the same gas station in one day.

Also, my credit union Visa automatically declines any and all charges I try to make at a physical Apple Store. I always have to call the number and verify it's me if I want to charge something at an Apple Store.  The amount does not matter.  It's as though whenever thieves steal a physical credit card, they make a beeline to the nearest Apple Store and try to buy Apple crap.

:rofl:  Which credit union is this?  

Amex is the worst for gas station purchase fraud detection. My purchases at the same Exxon Mobil gas station that I have been using for a few years always resulted in fraud detection notification and text messages. I have used the same Exxon Mobil app to authorize.

To give credit where it is due....NFCU sends a text to reply with a Y or N to confirm if it was the card holder. You have to reply ‘Y’ and swipe again or reply ‘N’.

Alliant CU sends same text like NFCU but the purchase was already approved. :-)

Amex is the worst for gas station purchase fraud detection. My purchases at the same Exxon Mobil gas station that I have been using for a few years always resulted in fraud detection notification and text messages. I have used the same Exxon Mobil app to authorize.

To give credit where it is due....NFCU sends a text to reply with a Y or N to confirm if it was the card holder. You have to reply ‘Y’ and swipe again or reply ‘N’.

Alliant CU sends same text like NFCU but the purchase was already approved. :-)

16 hours ago, cv91915 said:

sounds almost as bad as subprime discovery

It's the Delta Community Credit Union, formerly the Delta Air Lines Employee Credit Union. They are very fraud averse. But they are super suspicious of any in-store purchases at the Apple Store for some reason.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, Burdell said:

On 6/13/2019 at 5:58 AM, cv91915 said:

8 hours ago, Burdell said:

It's the Delta Community Credit Union, formerly the Delta Air Lines Employee Credit Union. They are very fraud averse. But they are super suspicious of any in-store purchases at the Apple Store for some reason.

There's a healthy difference between being fraud averse and inconveniencing customers because you're bad at what you do.  :) 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, Burdell said:

15 hours ago, credit_help said:

They must not like you guys. I use my Amex at gas stations all the time. Quite often, multiple times at the same station in a single day. I've never had an issue. 

17 minutes ago, kaylee34 said:

They must not like you guys. I use my Amex at gas stations all the time. Quite often, multiple times at the same station in a single day. I've never had an issue. 

same

Last time I had a card declined at a gas pump was in Little Havana in Miami.  

Between my cards and those of other people in the car, I think we went through five (across multiple issuers) before someone went inside.

That card was declined inside as well.

We gave up and paid in cash, and then resumed our journey to MIA to return the rental car before leaving Florida forever.