The Dining and Food Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the old school folks, that symbol would be known as a "pound sign", therefore that would be 60 pounds.   Of course anyone born after 2000 thinks that he said "60 hashtag" and that the ha

For all you medium well and beyond people, please do us a favor and stick to chicken and pork, or just go vegetarian.  Don't waste our precious steak, lamb, duck and other wonderful game meats by cook

This is all I have to say to that...  

Posted Images

I don't ordinarily do ribs in an oven, but I had some from ButcherBox that I had thawed.  Put the rub on them Tuesday night and let them sit...about two and a half hours at 260 and then 15 at 350 for finishing.  Bones on those baby backs were literally falling out.  I did miss the flavor typically imparted by the mesquite from the smoker pit as well as the sweetness I get from putting them on with about a half-inch of brown sugar on top of the rub, but they were not bad...

**Warning viewer caution advised** This post may be offensive to red meat eaters.

For dinner I fixed ground turkey burgers for the first time. Was told I needed to salt the meat or it wouldn't taste good. I found some almond meal and yeast flakes with traces of sea salt blended at Sprouts Market and decided to season the turkey meat with that and pepper. Also I kneaded in minced sweet onions. Served with baked potato and broccoli. DH absolutely loved it and he normally would be put off by such a meal. He said, "Save that recipe. Man is that good!"

Following American Heart Association to only eat red meat once a week for those with high blood pressure.

So far DH's blood pressure went from 147/110 to 137/88. Still high but going down in the right direction.

Rock cod is the main seafood I eat every week. Compared to buying cod elsewhere, it is much cheaper to buy cod at Wal-Mart prices. As you can see, you noticed that I bought enough Campbell's canned mushroom soup to prepare the gravy for cod cooking. 

Snypti8.png

a6c5xyp.jpg

What's up with "Boar Taint?" Yes, that's apparently a real thing and may become more of a problem when laws don't allow pig farmers to castrate w/o anesthesia. Makes the pork more expensive.

Deadline Looms For French Pig Farmers On Castration Choice – DNyuz

Yet it remains standard for the vast majority of French pig farmers, with nearly 10 million piglets subject to castration each year.

They say it’s necessary for increasing fat content in meat and avoiding “boar taint,” a fetid odour that comes from compounds pigs begin producing when they reach sexual maturity.

Often compared to dirty gym socks or urine, the smell can overwhelm the taste of cooked pork, making it unpalatable for most people

I gotta go to Costco this morning and buy salmon. Hopefully I can get in and out without making negative commentaries concerning the human race.

Posted (edited)

I love potatoes. Who doesn't right? I usually cook them in the microwave and then season only with Brummel and Brown yogurt vegetable spread and fresh crushed garlic. High in vitamin C and Potassium. 

Edited by StarkRaven$

Any suggestions on octopus dishes? Picked up some at Costco along with salmon, cod. and burgers. Am thinking of sliced up in a salad. those suckers have a lot of suckers. Might be good cooked with black eyed peas.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, MP80 said:

Rock cod is the main seafood I eat every week. Compared to buying cod elsewhere, it is much cheaper to buy cod at Wal-Mart prices. As you can see, you noticed that I bought enough Campbell's canned mushroom soup to prepare the gravy for cod cooking. 

Snypti8.png

23 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Any suggestions on octopus dishes? Picked up some at Costco along with salmon, cod. and burgers. Am thinking of sliced up in a salad. those suckers have a lot of suckers. Might be good cooked with black eyed peas.

I love grilled octopus with some sort of vinaigrette or similar light topping that brings herbs and acidity to the party without overwhelming the octopus.

4 hours ago, MP80 said:

Dang. I'm dripping saliva through watching this video.

I'll be replacing Campbell's cream of mushroom with cream of potato or with both together braise with the cod. 

I was trying to lure you away from the whole idea of Cream of Something™ soup.  ;) 

8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I was trying to lure you away from the whole idea of Cream of Something™ soup.  ;) 

Do you mean creme? Hahaha!

I think the cream thing similar to a casserole with cheese.
Here's one pretty nice "cod casserole" add scallop and shrimp, very nice.

See the source image

Edited by MP80

One of my favorite slow cookers is braised oxtail, which may take 8-9 hours to soften and become tender. After the oxtail is boiled for 8 hours, add tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, and potatoes to the pot. Oxtail is very expensive at today's price, almost the same price per pound as T-bone steak. I occasionally buy it every three months. 

See the source image