Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

The Dining and Food Thread

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

This arrived yesterday.

There is something wrong with the assembly into which the beaters are inserted, as one of the beaters wobbles.

:( 

I figured you would like a wobbling beater????

1 hour ago, TheVig said:

I figured you would like a wobbling beater????

The whole %^$@^ mixer shakes when I turn it on.  

Edited by cv91915

3 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Good bottle of wine with El Pollo Loco.

My parents ate at an EPL yesterday for the first time.  They were quite surprised because from the TV commercials they somehow concluded that it was a sit-down place with waiter service.  :lol:  

No idea if they got hammered or not.  Mom sounded lucid when I talked to her later in the day.

Next, our SodaStream broke after 6+ years, so I just picked up a new Fizzi at Bed Bath & Beyond.

This item is $69 at Amazon, but it was $55.99 with one of BB&B's 20% off coupons.

I bought the item online and used curbside pickup, which allowed me to use a $10 back on $10+ offer from TopCashBack.

PYaxbuy.png 

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

My parents ate at an EPL yesterday for the first time.  They were quite surprised because from the TV commercials they somehow concluded that it was a sit-down place with waiter service.  :lol:  

No idea if they got hammered or not.  Mom sounded lucid when I talked to her later in the day.

El Pollo Loco is just up the street and was takeout to bring home. The wine was from the Frick Vineyards in CA. They are related to the 98 year old woman I cared for.

I'm looking for recommendations for a high-quality bone-in ham that I can ship to my parents.

A few years ago at @Konrad2012's recommendation I ordered one from Benton's, but the prep was apparently awkward and laborious, and they didn't love the flavor.

I'm looking for something distinctive, simple and delicious.  If I need to pick two of those attributes, simple and delicious prevail.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I'm looking for recommendations for a high-quality bone-in ham that I can ship to my parents.

A few years ago at @Konrad2012's recommendation I ordered one from Benton's, but the prep was apparently awkward and laborious, and they didn't love the flavor.

I'm looking for something distinctive, simple and delicious.  If I need to pick two of those attributes, simple and delicious prevail.

I take it obviously Honey Baked Hams is off the list but they would be my recommendation.

2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I take it obviously Honey Baked Hams is off the list but they would be my recommendation.

Pre-sliced is a deal killer, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Pre-sliced is a deal killer, unfortunately.

I would imagine you could order it without being pre-sliced but even if you could, my fear is it may in up pre-sliced anyway and be a big disappointment.

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I would imagine you could order it without being pre-sliced but even if you could, my fear is it may in up pre-sliced anyway and be a big disappointment.

They're all pre-sliced.  It's also odd that they don't recommend heating it.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by cv91915

2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I bought a ham at Vons and cooked it and my family loved it. Nothing fancy but it pleased the masses.

The last one they picked up was from a Ralph's, I think, and they were really happy with it.

I'm not being a snob... I've been making a concerted effort to send them little surprises here and there that they'd never find or choose on their own.  

The last one they picked up was from a Ralph's, I think, and they were really happy with it.

I'm not being a snob... I've been making a concerted effort to send them little surprises here and there that they'd never find or choose on their own.  

Never thought you were being a snob about pig meat.

There is a Honey Baked Ham franchise up the street and every year during the holidays the line wraps around the building for pick up orders. No thank you.

Borscht

It's about the only way I can eat beets. And even then, the recipe has to be a certain way.

My favorite inadvertent discovery from the Amex Small Business offers this year was the ribeye, sliced paper-thin, that's sold in Asian markets and intended for hot-pot preparation.

I've been cooking it instead in a skillet on high heat with some spicy salt, and then I'm melting a piece of provolone on top of the meat and serving it all on a toasted roll.  

...makes for a delicious sandwich.

My favorite inadvertent discovery from the Amex Small Business offers this year was the ribeye, sliced paper-thin, that's sold in Asian markets and intended for hot-pot preparation.

I've been cooking it instead in a skillet on high heat with some spicy salt, and then I'm melting a piece of provolone on top of the meat and serving it all on a toasted roll.  

Damn you....now I'm hangry!

1 hour ago, centex said:

Damn you....now I'm hangry!

I just finished delivering a presentation to about a hundred people, and about halfway through I started thinking...

60283973.jpg 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, cv91915 said:

If you put onions and green peppers in there wouldn't that be a Philly Cheesteak?

On 11/16/2020 at 4:30 PM, cv91915 said:

I just finished delivering a presentation to about a hundred people, and about halfway through I started thinking...

bc9756585590bd1218c905eed18bab8a4a5fffb1