Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

The Dining and Food Thread

18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

We use it interchangeably.  Right now, comparatively speaking, I'm the fit one.

Unfortunately the constant grazing I have been doing since WFH full-time due to covid has probably pushed me up a cup size.  I need to get back on the wagon, but hard to find motivation to go exercise outdoors when it is 107 outside.

If you're not that hungry and like the Subway preparing experience then Blaze Pizza might be for you. Took advantage of the Amex small business offer where you spend $10 and get $5 back.

Blaze Pizza isn't bad but I've had way better.

Posted (edited)

Our peach tree is producing like crazy, so I made a peach pie this morning.

I was too lazy to go to the store to buy a pie crust, so I made one.  It turned out really well, and in the process I was able to use up one of the "sticks" of Crisco that's been pouting in the pantry.  I have one more left in inventory.

Also, I no longer have a bag of this taking up freezer space, as I served it with Prime New York strips tonight.

tjoesspgnocchi01.jpg

Edited by cv91915

No cooking. Hubby says so because it's hot. He cleans his plate so it's not my cooking 😆. So tonight is a finely chopped spinach salad with hard boiled egg and fresh parmesan cheese, served with albacore tuna fish sandwiches.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:28 PM, cv91915 said:

I was too lazy to go to the store to buy a pie crust, so I made one.

1-2 times a year when I need a rolling pin, I improvise when I remember that I forgot to buy one after the last time I had to improvise.

The rolling pin seems like a mature technology, so I'm inclined to get something simple like this.  Has anything better come along?

lgcTxnL.jpg 

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

1-2 times a year when I need a rolling pin, I improvise when I remember that I forgot to buy one after the last time I had to improvise.

The rolling pin seems like a mature technology, so I'm inclined to get something simple like this.  Has anything better come along?

lgcTxnL.jpg 

the cool kids have WIFI enabled rolling pins.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

lgcTxnL.jpg 

Not a fan of the wood or handles, I'd like one of these - they have them for half that on Amazon.

Wow!

I just opened a package of this to fill my pepper grinder.

https://soeos.com/products/soeos-whole-black-peppercorns-16-oz-grade-aaa-black-peppercorns-for-grinder-refill-whole-black-peppercorns-bulk-1-lb?_pos=11&_sid=b2d8c6986&_ss=r

I haven't tasted the pepper yet, but the aroma is amazing.

It hits you hard, like the first time you try Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon.

19 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Still not convinced he is not my uncle. I have several uncles, my mom had 5 brothers, and they are all this man.

Continuing our food inventory optimization...

Used from the kitchen freezer last night:  

• Last 2 spicy chicken sausages from a local butcher
  • Last 20% of a bag of seasoned waffle fries I don't recall buying.

Among the items I've been avoiding:  a bag of frozen corn from Trader Joe's that's just too large for two people.

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Among the items I've been avoiding:  a bag of frozen corn from Trader Joe's that's just too large for two people.

Obviously not the season, but you can turn it into corn chowder...

58 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

Obviously not the season, but you can turn it into corn chowder...

Not only is it not the season, our TAD's garden is going crazy. 

I have green and purple beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers coming out of every orifice, and not all of that is as fun as it sounds.

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Minor kitchen freezer inventory reduction tonight.

I have a whole chicken roasting in the oven (with garlic and herb butter under the skin). 

On the side will be green and purple beans (from the garden), a tomato / cucumber / basil salad (garden) drizzled with balsamic vinegar, and mashed potatoes with one serving of gravy from my stash in the freezer.  

To my surprise, gravy freezes amazingly well, and it's a hassle to make every time I roast a chicken... especially considering that much of it usually ends up uneaten.

Last night's freezer inventory reduction:

• One package of chicken breast tenders (we're down to two or three).

And from the limitless supply of pantry miscellany:

• I opened and started using the box of panko that's been loitering in the corner on the third shelf for at least a year.

I rolled the chicken in a mix of flour and cornstarch, then egg/milk, then panko mixed with grated parmesan, garlic powder and salt.  Cooked it until tender and crunchy in the air fryer and prepared a mix of teriyaki sauce*, honey and sriracha for dipping.

* Use of teriyaki sauce supports two initiatives:  pantry liquidation and refrigerator condiment elimination.  I'm down to the last 20% of the bottle in the fridge, and then I have one left in the pantry.

Amazing how much crap piles up when you aren't paying attention.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:28 PM, cv91915 said:

I was too lazy to go to the store to buy a pie crust, so I made one.  It turned out really well, and in the process I was able to use up one of the "sticks" of Crisco that's been pouting in the pantry.  I have one more left in inventory.

Also, I no longer have a bag of this taking up freezer space, as I served it with Prime New York strips tonight.

tjoesspgnocchi01.jpg

I made chocolate chip cookies today, and used up the last stick of Crisco from the pantry.  :)