Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


The Dining and Food Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NorCalR1 said:

There's a local Italian market that makes sauce, just need to buy meat and linguine. Homemade takes time and patience, but once you've gotten it to your liking, it is worth the effort.

 

You talking Sunday gravy? 

 

The pandemic and also being truthful my husband dying has put a major crimp on my cooking efforts, but I feel like an Instant Pot could cut down a loooot of the time sunk into making gravy gravy. 

 

That said, I am not above buying pre-made staples like pizzagaina, which I keep losing the recipe for - they have it at a local pork store and it's expensive and worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bison ribeye on the fire. About an inch thick. Rubbed with fresh crushed garlic, minced onion and medium-grind pepper. Wrapped it with some fig smoked bacon. Basting with fresh churned butter. Will be cooked mid-rare.
 

Lightly steaming some squash, carrots and broccoli to go with. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

I have a bison ribeye on the fire. About an inch thick. Rubbed with fresh crushed garlic, minced onion and medium-grind pepper. Wrapped it with some fig smoked bacon. Basting with fresh churned butter. Will be cooked mid-rare.

You had me until right there.  

 

I had something similar on Christmas Day at The Marine Room a couple of years ago, and I let the waiter talk me into medium-rare.  It was like eating moose-flavored Jell-O.*

 

 

 

 

* I'm aware that a bison isn't a moose, or even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

You had me until right there.  

 

I had something similar on Christmas Day at The Marine Room a couple of years ago, and I let the waiter talk me into medium-rare.  It was like eating moose-flavored Jell-O.*

 

 

 

 

* I'm aware that a bison isn't a moose, or even close.

This is all I have to say to that...

 

03wUDiM.jpg

Edited by CTSoxFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

This is all I have to say to that...

 

03wUDiM.jpg

Doesn't need to be "What are you doing?" but medium rare is gross.  I'm happiest with "Wait..."

 

I butterfly TAD's steak (and only his) and put it on the grill 5 or 6 minutes before mine.  The scale above doesn't accommodate the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

This is all I have to say to that...

 

03wUDiM.jpg

Make sure you don't rely on THAT chart while doing wagyu in the pan.  What looks rare with a good cut of wagyu is actually perfectly cooked provided there was a good sear on both sides...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Doesn't need to be "What are you doing?" but medium rare is gross.  I'm happiest with "Wait..."

 

I butterfly TAD's steak (and only his) and put it on the grill 5 or 6 minutes before mine.  The scale above doesn't accommodate the result.

my chart can be written in 3 steps.  Rare, Mid-Rare and F'in ruined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, centex said:

Make sure you don't rely on THAT chart while doing wagyu in the pan.  What looks rare with a good cut of wagyu is actually perfectly cooked provided there was a good sear on both sides...

I never rely on a chart, only my thermapen (unless making via sous vide where the thermapen is unnecessary).  I don't like arbitrary methods like time per side or feeling for doneness (although I will say an experienced chef can use the latter quick accurately).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Doesn't need to be "What are you doing?" but medium rare is gross.  I'm happiest with "Wait..."

 

I butterfly TAD's steak (and only his) and put it on the grill 5 or 6 minutes before mine.  The scale above doesn't accommodate the result.

If the opportunity ever arose, I’d happily whip one up for you to your temperature preference. However, I flat refuse to turn such a nice bit of food into TAD’s shoe leather. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight was simple. Two fish I caught early this evening. Scaled, cleaned, brushed with butter, rolled in a little seasoned flour and pan fried. Brewed a little mint tea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

If the opportunity ever arose, I’d happily whip one up for you to your temperature preference. However, I flat refuse to turn such a nice bit of food into TAD’s shoe leather. 
 

 

Make sure you ask him why he likes it that way.

 

When you finally have another chance to speak you'll say, "But isn't Turkey a relatively secular country, and didn't you say you aren't Muslim?  And that's not blood."  

 

And then mix a drink and sit down, because that's the last word you'll get in for a while.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For all you medium well and beyond people, please do us a favor and stick to chicken and pork, or just go vegetarian.  Don't waste our precious steak, lamb, duck and other wonderful game meats by cooking them to shoe leather.  One thing I can guarantee is that a piece of beef will never get cooked past medium in my house, and even that far is done so under formal protest.

 

 

 

Obviously I am just poking fun...at least about the first part...

Edited by CTSoxFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Make sure you ask him why he likes it that way.

 

When you finally have another chance to speak you'll say, "But isn't Turkey a relatively secular country, and didn't you say you aren't Muslim?  And that's not blood."  

 

And then mix a drink and sit down, because that's the last word you'll get in for a while.

 

:rofl:  Sounds like a day with my cousin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamb shanks and rice from the halal place down the street.

 

On a side note:

A steakhouse I used to go to, had it plastered all over their menus......WE DO NOT COOK STEAKS BEYOND MEDIUM. NO EXCEPTIONS.

 

Sadly the business died, when the owner died. Old age.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of steak, we are FINALLY celebrating my December 2019 birthday and my dear friend's February 2020 birthday at our favorite place on Saturday night.

 

https://www.cowboystarsd.com 

 

Since it's just one celebration for both events, we're just going to split the check.  🐄

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time if you dared walked into Pinnacle Peak's Cowboy Steak Steakhouse wearing a tie, the employees would make an gimmicky announcement and cut your tie off.

 

My family loved that place and always enjoyed their well done steaks. No pink in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

There was a time if you dared walked into Pinnacle Peak's Cowboy Steak Steakhouse wearing a tie, the employees would make an gimmicky announcement and cut your tie off.

 

My family loved that place and always enjoyed their well done steaks. No pink in the middle.

I ate at the one in Santee once (may it rest in peace).  

 

The steaks were good, but they had no idea how to orchestrate the rest of the meal.  For some reason I ordered beans for one of my sides, and I hate beans.  That's how unappealing the other choices were.

 

As a general rule, you can't go wrong eating steak at a place with a concrete cow on the roof.

 

Edited by cv91915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I ate at the one in Santee once (may it rest in peace).  

 

The steaks were good, but they had no idea how to orchestrate the rest of the meal.  For some reason I ordered beans for one of my sides, and I hate beans.  That's how unappealing the other choices were.

 

As a general rule, you can't go wrong eating steak at a place with a concrete cow on the roof.

 

I haven't been there since childhood and that was back when Santee was a tiny western town. It's still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I haven't been there since childhood and that was back when Santee was a tiny western town. It's still there.

Santee is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Santee is still there.

I guess Pinnacle Peak's closed in 2015. When I'd drive home from my client's home in 2018 I would see the restaurant to my right. Obviously they hadn't changed the building or sign. They may turn it into a historic site...maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





  • Today's Birthdays

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      178,843
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Kitty56
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines