The Dining and Food Thread

cv91915

13 hours ago, centex said:

Always opted for bison when I would do lunch at Huts (Austin).  Sadly, they closed last fall. 

Well. I cheat.

I have an old friend that raises a few bison and we worked out a deal. In exchange for shipping me 25 pounds of bison and 15 pounds elk each fall (if he gets one) I ship him seafood. 

A guy a few miles up the road from me keeps a couple of sows so we swap. I get 3 hams, ribs and gobs of bacon every year and he comes and gets all the free range chicken and eggs he wants from my place. 

Another guy and his wife down the road keep a few goats so if I want goats milk or goat meat, easy. I’ll hop on over with a pie or something yummy and off I go. They have a huge veggie garden and I’m allowed to pick whatever I want from there. In exchange, their kids freely raid my apple trees, fig tree and pear tree. 

I hunt occasionally so venison and the like is usually in the freezer and if I don’t go, it’s easy enough to swap something or another for some. 

I can usually get whatever right off the boat seafood I want within a day or two as long as it’s in season. I keep up an elderly lady’s yard and such for her (she too old and frail) and her sons “pay” me with random excess fish, shrimp, crabs, oysters and whatnot. 

So yeah, I cheat. I eat well too. 😎

I was coming here to post this, IDK if it's the right thread but I died.

AN UPDATE ON THE GROCERY DELIVERY WE’VE FOOLED YOU INTO EXPECTING

Third, we know you’re relying on us to feed your family during this challenging time, and we want you to know we’re relying on you as well, so we’ve charged you double what you expected, and we’ll also need you to assist with the home birth our office manager, Kelly, is planning a week from Thursday. Details and supplies will be included with your order, or sent via FedEx, which, as it turns out, would have also delivered your groceries if we had thought of that before loading them onto the truck to nowhere.

Fourth, just so you’re aware, we are no longer responding to emails or phone calls, especially while we’re enjoying the eight assorted flavor yogurts we decided not to give you. (They’re expired anyway, so don’t get too angry.)

Fifth, we’ve actually run out of old pairs of boots while writing this email, so we’ll be replacing those with a compromising photo of your grandmother.

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

Apparently my post from earlier didn't post? When I went to post this was saved:

On Easter I was gonna get takeout from a chain my kids like, but they both ate while I was doing my afternoon stuff, so last night we got Uber Eats Indian, and it was great. :)

You posted this 2 days ago

Tonight we had homemade Tatar ravioli-like pasta (it's been stored in the freezer since TAD made it with his aunt and uncle when they were in the US earlier this year).  Filling was a finely-ground meat of a variety he did not remember.  Perhaps it was camel.

We made a yogurt/garlic sauce which was spooned cold over the hot, freshly cooked pasta, and the dish was finished by drizzling it with chili oil.

It needed a lot of salt and pepper.  And crushed red pepper.

Dessert was an afterthought, so as we prepared the meal I made this shortbread for the first time in as long as I can remember.  It's money in the bank.

https://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2007/0811851508_1.html 

Does anyone have any ideas for a package of pork neckbones other than split pea soup? :)

Classic soul food there!

Neckbones and rice (and not that minute garbage)

Neckbones and gravy (dear God please make your own gravy)

If smoked cook em up with some greens or beans.

Toss em in the crockpot with a mess of chunked potatoes, green beans or cabbage an onion and some standard pork seasonings. If smoked necks, go light on the salt or don't add any. 

Barbeque them (I prefer a dry rub on neckbones)

Make a nice stew, simmer with a bunch of veggies like a beef vegetable or brunswick stew, just filter the bones.

Make bone broth.

Dog food (yes I'm serious) but only if not smoked

4 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

Classic soul food there!

Neckbones and rice (and not that minute garbage)

Neckbones and gravy (dear God please make your own gravy)

If smoked cook em up with some greens or beans.

Toss em in the crockpot with a mess of chunked potatoes, green beans or cabbage an onion and some standard pork seasonings. If smoked necks, go light on the salt or don't add any. 

Barbeque them (I prefer a dry rub on neckbones)

Make a nice stew, simmer with a bunch of veggies like a beef vegetable or brunswick stew, just filter the bones.

Make bone broth.

Dog food (yes I'm serious) but only if not smoked

My wedding was at a somewhat soul food place, and my (British) husband and I both love that style of cooking, but mainly from reading and TV due to our respective places of origin. 

He was also very very opposed to stuff like gravy mixes, and died with a grudge against Outback for serving fake au jus. So if I ever consider minute rice or gravy mix I can hear him chiding me :) 

I love rice and did not consider them with rice, that would be great. And I do think they're smoked. 

Shopping here is very weird right now and it was one of the only longer shelf life meats I knew I'd have some use for, but no one here eats split pea soup but me. Or most other food besides chicken cutlets, so I can eat that for a few nights :)

My wedding was at a somewhat soul food place, and my (British) husband and I both love that style of cooking, but mainly from reading and TV due to our respective places of origin. 

He was also very very opposed to stuff like gravy mixes, and died with a grudge against Outback for serving fake au jus. So if I ever consider minute rice or gravy mix I can hear him chiding me :) 

I love rice and did not consider them with rice, that would be great. And I do think they're smoked. 

Shopping here is very weird right now and it was one of the only longer shelf life meats I knew I'd have some use for, but no one here eats split pea soup but me. Or most other food besides chicken cutlets, so I can eat that for a few nights :)

Oh how I love a good steak and kidney pie! Or some bangers and mashed. Erin Bru! Now I’m going to have to call a friend to see if I can get a care package overnighted. Darn you! 😂

There’s a few things I won’t eat for odd reasons but not much I haven’t at some point. My grandparents grew up on farms, half were recent immigrants and most had at least connections to the military so food was good, cheap home food or with a foreign twist. My grandmother admonished me once when I was little. “When you’re given meat on a stick to eat, you don’t ask what kind of meat it is. That’s not polite!” When I got older I realized “polite” really meant “you might not want to know what it is”.

Lord help you when I was a kid if anything came out of a box except Bisquick. Canned goods didn’t come from the store and the only store bought jars were empty. Bacon grease got saved and there was always a tub of lard around. My arteries were probably rock hard when I was 12! 

2 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

Oh how I love a good steak and kidney pie! Or some bangers and mashed. Erin Bru! Now I’m going to have to call a friend to see if I can get a care package overnighted. Darn you! 😂

There’s a few things I won’t eat for odd reasons but not much I haven’t at some point. My grandparents grew up on farms, half were recent immigrants and most had at least connections to the military so food was good, cheap home food or with a foreign twist. My grandmother admonished me once when I was little. “When you’re given meat on a stick to eat, you don’t ask what kind of meat it is. That’s not polite!” When I got older I realized “polite” really meant “you might not want to know what it is”.

Lord help you when I was a kid if anything came out of a box except Bisquick. Canned goods didn’t come from the store and the only store bought jars were empty. Bacon grease got saved and there was always a tub of lard around. My arteries were probably rock hard when I was 12! 

He was always irritated at American squeamishness and a lack of steak and kidney pie etc. He also grew up on bases so his palate was more diverse, and I think back then bases were limited to like a small store on the base? So the amount of food wasted here was also something he was always stunned by. 

From what I gathered, the 70s and 80s in the UK were a bit different from the 70s and 80s here. 

1 hour ago, centex said:

Are the IHOP's up there not on UberEats or other delivery service? 

They are, but I don't know how well pancakes will travel, and I have a coupon :) 

ETA: I priced it out yesterday and it would cost twice as much and the pancakes would probably get cold.

Edited by smartlypretty

54 minutes ago, smartlypretty said:

They are, but I don't know how well pancakes will travel, and I have a coupon :) 

ETA: I priced it out yesterday and it would cost twice as much and the pancakes would probably get cold.

BUT...if you cannot eat IN the restaurant, then they are STILL having to travel...just sayin'