The Dining and Food Thread

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Speaking of oatmeal, I've modified my formula slightly.

1/2 cup (rounded) old fashioned oats (not the quick-cooking garbage)

13 ounces almond milk + 1 ounce cream or half & half*

1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar vanilla**

Microwave on high in a large glass bowl for ~14 minutes

Stir and add ~2 tsp Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon (yes, it matters)

* I was previously using 14 ounces of almond milk because I detest liquid dairy products, but 1 ounce of cream or half & half makes a noticeable difference in the consistency, without adding the disgusting sour taste I'd have to endure if I used all dairy.

** I prefer Nielsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla, but I had a hard time finding it for a while, so I'm using my second-favorite variety for now.

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Oops, + a small handful raisins before it goes into the microwave.  

I gave up Frosted Mini Wheats and switched to oatmeal about 2 months ago. My concoction is similar to yours...

Over-night Oats (I think it's called). Old fashioned (rolled) oats only. Equal parts oats & 2% milk, in a covered container over-night in the fridge. Nuke for a minute or two in the morning and add cinnamon, equal, dash of salt (just because), and raisins that were thrown in some super hot water for about 15 minutes to make them plump up.

This^, tuna fish w/4 or 5 crackers, cheese & onion omelettes, V8 juice, coffee, and a big glass of milk (with 1 equal packet) before bed is literally all I eat or drink. I love all of these things, so it works out perfectly :P

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all you medium well and beyond people, please do us a favor and stick to chicken and pork, or just go vegetarian.  Don't waste our precious steak, lamb, duck and other wonderful game meats by cook

For the old school folks, that symbol would be known as a "pound sign", therefore that would be 60 pounds.   Of course anyone born after 2000 thinks that he said "60 hashtag" and that the ha

After living above the original Raj Darbar on North Clark in Chicago for one summer with no AC, I can no longer be in the same zip code as Indian food.

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Kat58 said:

I gave up Frosted Mini Wheats and switched to oatmeal about 2 months ago. My concoction is similar to yours...

Over-night Oats (I think it's called). Old fashioned (rolled) oats only. Equal parts oats & 2% milk, in a covered container over-night in the fridge. Nuke for a minute or two in the morning and add cinnamon, equal, dash of salt (just because), and raisins that were thrown in some super hot water for about 15 minutes to make them plump up.

This^, tuna fish w/4 or 5 crackers, cheese & onion omelettes, V8 juice, coffee, and a big glass of milk (with 1 equal packet) before bed is literally all I eat or drink. I love all of these things, so it works out perfectly :P

I haven't tried the overnight method, but I'm sure I could substitute almond milk for the dairy milk.  I just cannot stand milk.

It was early when I typed that.  I also dump in some brown sugar/Splenda blend (maybe 1.5 tsp...  not too sweet ).

Are you in a permanent food rut?  Mine last for about 3 months at a time, and the inclination is diminishing with time.

Once I microwaved frozen corn dogs for dinner every night for ~6 months.  Then I switched to BLTs for a similar duration.

51 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I haven't tried the overnight method, but I'm sure I could substitute almond milk for the dairy milk.  I just cannot stand milk.

It was early when I typed that.  I also dump in some brown sugar/Splenda blend (maybe 1.5 tsp...  not too sweet ).

Are you in a permanent food rut?  Mine last for about 3 months at a time, and the inclination is diminishing with time.

Once I microwaved frozen corn dogs for dinner every night for ~6 months.  Then I switched to BLTs for a similar duration.

A few years back, I ate bologna sandwiches and ramen noodles all the time. Then one day I realized how dumb that was... no food value whatsoever. Every once in awhile, I'll get a bag of russets for baked potatoes to change things up a little.

• Admin

NYC a couple of times this past ten days.  One of my favorite places to eat in Manhattan is Friedman's.  Almost all of their food can be made gluten free, and both versions are super tasty. I went there twice, once on each trip, two separate locations.

The first time, I had a burger which doesn't even appear on any of their menus online :dntknw: but it was really good.  Friday night, I had the GF chicken and waffles, served with the habanero honey, and fried pickles.  

I also enjoy going to a place called the Thirsty Koala, when I find myself in Queens as I did one one of the trips. I had three appetizers (and shared because it was a lot of food):  Halloumi fries, fried calamari, and bacon wrapped stuff jalapenos off that night's specials.  

Neither place disappointed with the food.  Friedman's service was slow the first nght and they made up for it by comping our drinks, which was nice. 

Did lobster rolls (Connecticut style) over the weekend...ordered a few pounds of lobster meat on Friday afternoon and it was drop-shipped to me before 10AM Saturday...we was eatin' good in da hood LOL! 

Melted some butter in a skillet and tossed the meat enough to warm it up...'twas quite tasty!  Just enough of it left over for dinner tonight...

On 11/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, cv91915 said:

It wasn't awful, but I have zero interest in an encore.  I wish we would have gone to Cowboy Star, which is still my favorite restaurant in SD (for dinner; lunch somehow manages to be mediocre).

I do like the Crack Shack (I think that's on page one of this thread).

On 1/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, cv91915 said:

Undaunted by this experience, the hag and I are planning to see The Rocky Horror Show at the OB Playhouse next weekend or the following.

I can't find a single appealing restaurant within walking distance of the theatre, so I think I'll suggest The Cowboy Star.  It's still my favorite restaurant in San Diego, and I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Side note: Donovan's in La Jolla closed.  :(  This was my second-favorite place to get a steak.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, cv91915 said:

}#%#^#*#*}

FJ6S0VO.jpg

Finally!

My hag's birthday was in February, and I didn't get to celebrate it with her.

My birthday was in December, and she didn't get to celebrate it with me.

Since we both wanted to go The Cowboy Star, that's exactly what we're going to do.  

And when the bill comes, we're just going to split it.  :lol: 

hPAYjNj.jpg

My banana bread recipe makes one large loaf and two small ones, so yesterday I set the small ones aside so I could slice them and enjoy them like a civilized human being.

I left the large one for TAD to rape and pillage as he normally does.

CBPrpXA.jpg

But this morning I got my reminder that I never get the last word on anything.

NoGkfVR.jpg

dKV3pAr.jpg

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

My banana bread recipe makes one large loaf and two small ones, so yesterday I set the small ones aside so I could slice them and enjoy them like a civilized human being.

I left the large one for TAD to rape and pillage as he normally does.

CBPrpXA.jpg

But this morning I got my reminder that I never get the last word on anything.

NoGkfVR.jpg

dKV3pAr.jpg

:lol:

1tfA0WL.jpg

On 3/14/2020 at 4:16 PM, TheVig said:

I'm taking advantage of low traffic in some of my small favorite mom and pop restaurants.

Lunch today was two lobster rolls.

Connecticut style or the Maine lobster-salad style? 

I did some at-home rolls a week or so ago...had the lobster meat drop-shipped and then I warmed it up in a skillet with some sea-salt butter.  Quite tasty...

1 hour ago, centex said:

Connecticut style or the Maine lobster-salad style? 

I did some at-home rolls a week or so ago...had the lobster meat drop-shipped and then I warmed it up in a skillet with some sea-salt butter.  Quite tasty...

I had Connecticut this time.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, cv91915 said:

Finally!

My hag's birthday was in February, and I didn't get to celebrate it with her.

My birthday was in December, and she didn't get to celebrate it with me.

Since we both wanted to go The Cowboy Star, that's exactly what we're going to do.  

And when the bill comes, we're just going to split it.  :lol: 

hPAYjNj.jpg

This is just not meant to be. 

Q7Ggz6x.png