cv91915

The Dining and Food Thread

On 2/1/2020 at 1:31 AM, cv91915 said:

Mom and Dad are picking me up when I land in San Diego at 11:45 tomorrow, and then it's a short hop to Barrio Star for brunch.

https://www.barriostar.com 

Barrio Star accepted my reservation via OpenTable early in the week.  

I reconfirmed on Saturday.

Yesterday I arrived on schedule to find this:

Fq0XkHU.jpg

That blows...I would guarantee they knew that they would be closed on Sunday when you had called the day before. 

Had a similar sort of thing near mom's house...we were going to go to a steakhouse yesterday.  I happened, by chance, to notice a tweet from them that they were closing all of their locations yesterday.  They didn't attribute it to Super Bowl, but I doubt it was for Groundhog Day celebrations.  We WERE wanting to go since she still had coupons for free bottles of wine (up to $200 price point) from a seminar put on by her financial advisors...at that point, we know it is the same stuff we could get for $100 but free wine is still free wine (and it means we don't have to go into my private stash).  

4 hours ago, centex said:

That blows...I would guarantee they knew that they would be closed on Sunday when you had called the day before. 

Had a similar sort of thing near mom's house...we were going to go to a steakhouse yesterday.  I happened, by chance, to notice a tweet from them that they were closing all of their locations yesterday.  They didn't attribute it to Super Bowl, but I doubt it was for Groundhog Day celebrations.  We WERE wanting to go since she still had coupons for free bottles of wine (up to $200 price point) from a seminar put on by her financial advisors...at that point, we know it is the same stuff we could get for $100 but free wine is still free wine (and it means we don't have to go into my private stash).  

I sent them an email last night and got a reply today.

It was a polite response, but they blamed OpenTable, and also said they left me a VM.  

I have no VM from anyone from any restaurant in the solar system.

Whatever.

Hope your wine coupons have some time left before they expire. 

Edited by cv91915

11 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for lunch at Steamy Piggy.

I was hesitant to click on the link, in fear that was the name of some combination bath house / fitness membership club.

Taco Bell via GrubHub. 

2 cheesy rollups

2 Diablo sauce packets 

12 Cinnabon Bites

Wilford Brimley would be proud.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:48 PM, TheVig said:

Taco Bell via GrubHub. 

2 cheesy rollups

2 Diablo sauce packets 

12 Cinnabon Bites

Wilford Brimley would be proud.

Anything Diablo related would have made Sheriff Buford T Justice proud ;)

That being said...Taco Bell?  Via GrubHub...just...why?

14 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Made cheeseburgers with avocado and Spiracha Aloli sauce by Terrapin Ridge.

Sriracha...my spelling bad.

31 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Sriracha...my spelling bad.

I knew what you meant.

Lately I've been prone to put sriracha ketchup on oven-baked breaded shrimp from ALDI.  

The spicy ketchup is a good substitute for cocktail sauce for a household like ours.  It normally takes us years to use up a bottle of almost any condiment, so I don't keep many single-purpose selections like cocktail sauce on hand.

31 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I knew what you meant.

Lately I've been prone to put sriracha ketchup on oven-baked breaded shrimp from ALDI.  

The spicy ketchup is a good substitute for cocktail sauce for a household like ours.  It normally takes us years to use up a bottle of almost any condiment, so I don't keep many single-purpose selections like cocktail sauce on hand.

Good to know. I bought the Sriracha sauce at Marshall's because it was made by Terrapin Ridge.

When I was in Leadville Colorado at a Superbowl party the hostess  served Japapeno Hatch Chili  Jam by Terrapin Ridge poured over a block of cream cheese with crackers. It was insanely good. She got it at Honey Baked Hams in Denver. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere in San Diego. I may just eat the shipping and order it online one day.

4 hours ago, centex said:

Anything Diablo related would have made Sheriff Buford T Justice proud ;)

That being said...Taco Bell?  Via GrubHub...just...why?

I was too darn lazy to leave the hotel.

4 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Good to know. I bought the Sriracha sauce at Marshall's because it was made by Terrapin Ridge.

When I was in Leadville Colorado at a Superbowl party the hostess  served Japapeno Hatch Chili  Jam by Terrapin Ridge poured over a block of cream cheese with crackers. It was insanely good. She got it at Honey Baked Hams in Denver. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere in San Diego. I may just eat the shipping and order it online one day.

Sample a couple of sriracha aioli recipes...  I just looked at a couple of them randomly, and they're all basically mayo and sriracha, which sounds simply... delicious.  One recipe I checked threw a curve ball and added some lime juice.  :)

I bet you'll be able to find a similar type of pepper jam at HomeGoods, or even Vons.  I'm a huge fan, and there are lots of very good variations on the theme.

I was introduced to the concept of pepper jelly by Mr. B's Bistro in New Orleans, but not until I bought their cookbook and figured out why the "red eye gravy" they served with their bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits was so damn good.  

15 years later, I still can't leave New Orleans without a Mr. B's fix, and I almost always order this dish.

The Mr. B's cookbook (out of print, but Alibris always has used copies) has several other great recipes, including a bread pudding with whiskey sauce that's scaled down to fit a 9 x 13 pan but still takes 24 eggs.  🥚

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

I totally get this. 

20 hours ago, TheVig said:

I get THAT as a reason for using GrubHub...but Taco Bell?  SMGDH!

21 hours ago, centex said:

I get THAT as a reason for using GrubHub...but Taco Bell?  SMGDH!

Sometimes I like to colon cleanse and leave housekeeping a tip.

3 hours ago, TheVig said:

Sometimes I like to colon cleanse and leave housekeeping a tip.

This^ is the response I was waiting for 🤣

On 2/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, TheVig said:

On 2/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, cv91915 said:

I totally get this. 

Some hotels its a PITA to park, and once you do park its a PITA to get back out again. Or if the hotel is valet only, waiting on the friggin valet to bring your car out.

35 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Some hotels its a PITA to park, and once you do park its a PITA to get back out again. Or if the hotel is valet only, waiting on the friggin valet to bring your car out.

I will only use self parking at a hotel, unless valet is the only option.  

I do not wait for my car, my car waits for me.

We run into this a fair bit - hotel is valet only and you're only permitted one out and one in every 24 hours, then you're hit with a nasty surcharge.

I don't remember eating in bed since I washed the sheets yesterday, yet here's a spot I can't explain.

Licking it doesn't confirm my assumption that it's probably sweet and sour sauce.