cv91915

The Dining and Food Thread

My third pre-noon meal today will be at Farmer's Table Bay Park.

Just took a closer look at the Bloody Mary menu...  :lol: 

THE BARN YARD*- enjoy all our speciality bloody mary’s in one pitcher topped with a whole roasted chicken | 55

Farmer_s_Table_Bloody.0.0.0.jpg

Edited by cv91915

On 10/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, centex said:

Propane and smoking are two things that just don't go together...for me, it needs to be an offset box and a whole bunch of aged mesquite that has been stripped of its bark (which, if left on, can impart an acidic taste to the meat). 

That being said, the bark CAN serve as a good firestarter...

On 10/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, cv91915 said:

My third pre-noon meal today will be at Farmer's Table Bay Park.

Just took a closer look at the Bloody Mary menu...  :lol: 

THE BARN YARD*- enjoy all our speciality bloody mary’s in one pitcher topped with a whole roasted chicken | 55

Four Fried Chickens - and a Coke

I've been in Philadelphia since last weekend. So far not a single cheesesteak or hoagie consumed.

Been enjoying the amped up mental illness in the city regarding the Eagles.

On 10/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, TheVig said:

I've been in Philadelphia since last weekend. So far not a single cheesesteak or hoagie consumed.

Been enjoying the amped up mental illness in the city regarding the Eagles.

medium.2GKeFJ8sqSmzCeYtqDhLdLT_O0c63XE6Q

These Eagles?

I went to Scotland and got real fish & chips.

Gluten free.

These were, seriously, amazing - both the fish and the chips.  The chips were big and fat, and double-fried, so they were crispy on the outside.  Husband had the regular (gluten) fish and chips and he said the GF version was almost as good as the regular.  The restaurant (and its fish and chips) gets really high ratings.  We went back for a 2nd lunch, the friends we travelled with went back for a 3rd meal.  

image.png.5a73f4102f2fdafd67c71fd108a88800.png

On 11/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, cv91915 said:

On Saturday, a friend and I have reservations at Juniper & Ivy, and then we're off to see Heathers: The Musical at the Ocean Beach Playhouse.

Sunday brunch with another friend will be at La Bonne Table.

I have to disagree with @CTSoxFan on this place.

The food was pretty unmemorable.  I'm not even sure I've listed everything we ordered since it all kind of ran together.  

The potatoes that were served with the strip steak were the lone standout.  They were like a smashed baked potato covered with mushrooms and drizzled with a light gravy.  Outstanding.

Aside from the items listed below, we also had a pasta dish with poached lobster, and a pork loin creation that was served on top of oatmeal.  There was also something with poached pears in there somewhere.

SQUASH BLOSSOM OAXACA CHEESE / CILANTRO CREMA

SHORT RIB ARANCINI SWISS CHEESE / KIMCHI AIOLI

GRILLED PEACHES  WHIPPED RICOTTA / LEMON VERBENA HONEY / PEANUTS

LEMON & BASIL MADELEINE CORN SALAD

DRY-AGED NEW YORK STRIP CRISPY ALASKAN POTATOES / BONE MARROW RANCH / CONFIT MUSHROOMS / STEAK SAUCE

On 11/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, cv91915 said:

The food was pretty unmemorable.  I'm not even sure I've listed everything we ordered since it all kind of ran together.  

The potatoes that were served with the strip steak were the lone standout.  They were like a smashed baked potato covered with mushrooms and drizzled with a light gravy.  Outstanding.

Aside from the items listed below, we also had a pasta dish with poached lobster, and a pork loin creation that was served on top of oatmeal.  There was also something with poached pears in there somewhere.

SQUASH BLOSSOM OAXACA CHEESE / CILANTRO CREMA

SHORT RIB ARANCINI SWISS CHEESE / KIMCHI AIOLI

GRILLED PEACHES  WHIPPED RICOTTA / LEMON VERBENA HONEY / PEANUTS

LEMON & BASIL MADELEINE CORN SALAD

DRY-AGED NEW YORK STRIP CRISPY ALASKAN POTATOES / BONE MARROW RANCH / CONFIT MUSHROOMS / STEAK SAUCE

That is unfortunate that you did not like it.  My last time there was not as good as the first, but not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it.  I wonder if the chef/owner is more worried about being a celebrity chef (he is on various cooking shows as a judge, etc) and has taken his eye off the ball.  I will say that the Crack Shack  (the restaurant next door which he also owns), has never disappointed, provided of course you like fried chicken.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, cv91915 said:

For those of us who are a little mentally slow, which place? The Ivy place or the frenchie place?

1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

That is unfortunate that you did not like it.  My last time there was not as good as the first, but not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it.  I wonder if the chef/owner is more worried about being a celebrity chef (he is on various cooking shows as a judge, etc) and has taken his eye off the ball.  I will say that the Crack Shack  (the restaurant next door which he also owns), has never disappointed, provided of course you like fried chicken.

It wasn't awful, but I have zero interest in an encore.  I wish we would have gone to Cowboy Star, which is still my favorite restaurant in SD (for dinner; lunch somehow manages to be mediocre).

I do like the Crack Shack (I think that's on page one of this thread).

55 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

For those of us who are a little mentally slow, which place? The Ivy place or the frenchie place?

https://www.juniperandivy.com

I turned that part blue when I quote my own post, but perhaps I could have picked a color with more contrast. :) 

I just went through the McDonalds drive-through for a $1 McChicken sandwich.

The guy in the ratty pickup in front of me paid for my lunch.

🤷‍♂️

On 9/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, cv91915 said:

TAD's garden was very busy while we were on vacation last week.

I tossed the tomatoes that he harvested yesterday in avocado oil, along with fresh garlic, yellow peppers and onions.  

Next I sprinkled it all with salt, pepper and bit of sugar, and drizzled it with balsamic vinegar, before roasting it all in the oven in two batches spread on two baking sheets each.  

The food processor puréed it all up, and with a bit of water and a few dots of herb paste, voila, roasted tomato sauce.  I bought some tomato paste just in case, but this needed absolutely nothing else.

I froze two 24-ounce portions as-is, and to the rest I added 2.5# of baby portobello mushrooms I'd sautéed in oil with more garlic and more onions.

kzwHiiN.jpg

jlmtbL2.jpg

V60Gdsc.jpg

We have somewhere around 20# of this tomato sauce in the freezer now, and another 10# batch on the way.

There's only so much pasta we can eat (even though the lasagna I made with the spicy/smoky/eggplanty sauce was the best I've ever made).

I'm thinking I could take one of these containers and add chicken or vegetable or roasted garlic broth and make tomato soup.

Thoughts?  

Can use the sauce for other dishes like chicken parm, etc.

I don't see why you couldn't turn it into a soup...I would just run it through the blender to get a smooth consistency.

43 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

Can use the sauce for other dishes like chicken parm, etc.

I don't see why you couldn't turn it into a soup...I would just run it through the blender to get a smooth consistency.

The stuff that doesn't have chunks of mushrooms and/or smoked eggplant is already pretty smooth.

But now that I think about it, tomato soup with chunks of those things might be pretty good (perhaps also with some frozen corn and some shredded rotisserie chicken).

Good idea with the chicken parm.  It's going to be a long winter unless I come up with about 15 ways to use all this.

Hard to believe that no one wants the zucchini falafel 🤮that this flight attendant is trying to peddle, now that there are no beef entrees left.  

She's attempting to characterize this abomination as "dinner," but people are still requesting the fruit and cheese plates that they're selling in Economy.