cv91915

The Dining and Food Thread

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

You should get yourself an immersion circulator for sous vide cooking.  You get steaks (and other things) to the perfect temperature every time.  You'll just need to set yours to 135 and then sear his for longer to cook it to well past good.

I could not recommend this highly enough.  A wonderful use of the discretionary funds you mentioned in the other thread.

I've considered getting one, but then I watch a video on YouTube and I'm certain that I wouldn't use it more than once or twice.  

Looks too inconvenient to haul out, clean everything up and then put it all away.  

Except for the most tedious jobs like whipping egg whites for meringue, for example,🐬 I'll grab the hand mixer even though the KitchenAid stand mixer is right there on the counter.  

Before I knew this about myself I ended up with two potato ricers in different sizes.  😛 

Edited by cv91915

17 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I've considered getting one, but then I watch a video on YouTube and I'm certain that I wouldn't use it more than once or twice.  

Looks too inconvenient to haul out, clean everything up and then put it all away.  

Except for the most tedious jobs like whipping egg whites for meringue, for example,🐬 I'll grab the hand mixer even though the KitchenAid stand mixer is right there on the counter.  

Before I knew this about myself I ended up with two potato ricers in different sizes.  😛 

It is actually super easy, and can do many things.  Some of the things I have done are fish, steaks, shrimp (for cocktail), chicken, carrots and pulled pork.  There is virtually no clean up other than drying out the container as all the food is contained within the sealed bag.  It's a roughly $125 investment for the unit, container and lid if you already have a food saver (you don't need one but makes it much easier.  The best part is that most items are not time dependent, meaning you can cook it for 1 hour or 3 with no change in texture, flavor or level of doneness...so you can throw the steaks in, do some other stuff (they don't need babysitting) and then come back in 2 hours, sear them quick on the grill and enjoy.

Check out serious eats discussion on it and all the things you can use it for.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, CTSoxFan said:

It is actually super easy, and can do many things.  Some of the things I have done are fish, steaks, shrimp (for cocktail), chicken, carrots and pulled pork.  There is virtually no clean up other than drying out the container as all the food is contained within the sealed bag.  It's a roughly $125 investment for the unit, container and lid if you already have a food saver (you don't need one but makes it much easier.  The best part is that most items are not time dependent, meaning you can cook it for 1 hour or 3 with no change in texture, flavor or level of doneness...so you can throw the steaks in, do some other stuff (they don't need babysitting) and then come back in 2 hours, sear them quick on the grill and enjoy.

Check out serious eats discussion on it and all the things you can use it for.

I don't doubt the merits of your comments, this is more a matter of knowing myself.  

My private road to Hell is paved with unused kitchen gadgets that do remarkable things.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I don't doubt the merits of your comments, this is more a matter of knowing myself.  

My private road to Hell is paved with unused kitchen gadgets that do remarkable things.

And a RX350 waiting to take you down that road...

79 cents for one lemon is ridiculous.

Limes were 29 cents each, so I got creative at the self-checkout.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

79 cents for one lemon is ridiculous.

Limes were 29 cents each, so I got creative at the self-checkout.

Creativity works great for avocados too. So I'm told anyways.

Thanks to two flights, a three-hour time change and a 9:35 a.m. arrival in San Diego, today is looking like a three-breakfast day.  

Time permitting, I could duck into at the Admirals Club in Terminal C at DFW and end up at four.

For breakfast 1 (MUD-DFW) I pre-ordered the Asian vegetarian meal, which has the dubious distinction of the worst meal I've ever had on an airplane.

Proof that there is a merciful god, the shadow in the first photo hides the most horrific components of the meal.

Bv5Orbj.jpg

After:

lNHW59e.jpg

Edited by cv91915

That looks worse than what I feed my pets every day.  It looks like someone at the food, barfed it back up and put it in paper cups to serve to you.

1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

That looks worse than what I feed my pets every day.  It looks like someone at the food, barfed it back up and put it in paper cups to serve to you.

The bean thingie on the right was edible.  The other two things on that plate...  sweet feathery Jesus.

I only had a latte at the Admirals Club, so I'm not counting that as breakfast #2.

Just left DFW...  pre-ordered the kosher meal on this flight.

Last time I had the kosher meal I made a 9"-diameter ball out of the paper, plastic and foil wrappers.

Edited by cv91915

Kosher meal, DFW-SAN.  The FA unwrapped the tray itself and the hot entree for me.  If you call a plain omelette an "entree."  😛

Breakfast 2 was... edible.  Second time I've had the kosher meal, and both times it's come with the pineapple cake, which is a new favorite.

NCVt94l.jpg

Edited by cv91915