Sign in to follow this  
pwd847

I have a computer emergency!

My old socket 1155 Motherboard is dead. I would like to just replace that, but it seems with the new technology out is a more cost effective option. So I am about to buy a combo kit from Amazon.com.

I need this replaced ASAP!!!

What is the best CC to use for the extended warranty? If I recall correctly, they all provide about the same protection and the same extension of the warranty. Does that sound right?

Edited by pwd847

We did a comparison in the past between Amex and Discover in this regard. IIRC, Discover was equal to, or slightly better. I would have to find that thread.

I got an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X, MSI E350 Tomahawk, and 2 8gb sticks of 3200Mhz ram.

T here was a mail in Rebate, and I used Ebates for 2% CB along with 5% CB from my Usbank CC and it was on sale.

The price was in the low $400's after rebates/CB. Not too bad.

Edited by pwd847

I have been a life long Intel guy,But Ryzen Kicks Core I7 flowers

Not really though. It is AMD's first chip that actually holds a candle to Intel in over a decade though.

Edited by EricDET

I have the new core I9 at work ,i have 5 core I7's at home and the Ryzen Threadripper.I built my Mom the Ryzen 1700X..I can honestly say AMD shreds Intel. And i am a Intel fanboy from way back.

public service announcement: CB has a subforum on technology (under the general forum) for non-emergencies :)

Since the emergency is no more, Breeze has been notified.

I read up on the Ryzen and I liked what I heard. I also looked at some performace bar graphs vs price and that's how I came to my conclusion on the 1600X.

The motherboard sounds pretty bad@$$ and if I'm getting all that, I might as well get the 3200 RAM over the 3000 RAM. I have an old crappy video card that runs everything I throw at it so I'll just keep plugging away with it until it breaks.

I also got a GREAT deal on a CPU heatsink from Cooler Master. I'm not really one of those "you have to have a custom heatsink guys", but I got this one for like $13.99 after MAR, the sale price, and a $5 amazon credit that I had.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBXKP8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the new core I9 at work ,i have 5 core I7's at home and the Ryzen Threadripper.I built my Mom the Ryzen 1700X..I can honestly say AMD shreds Intel. And i am a Intel fanboy from way back.

What do you need all that for? I haven't had a slow computer because of a cpu in years. Even my 7 year old celeron laptop is plenty fast with an SSD and linux. My desktop has a pentium 3258 with a used GTX 660 off ebay plays newer games on high settings with good fps.

That's why Breeze is Breeze :yahoo: .Whether it's cars or computers guys will be guys souping or hot rodding their toys.Since my credit building is in the "wait to grow" phase, i need something to keep me out of trouble.Even if i go to work (build computers)come home ,(work on computers)..Sorry for the technical violation y'all

public service announcement: CB has a subforum on technology (under the general forum) for non-emergencies :)

Since the emergency is no more, Breeze has been notified.

I read up on the Ryzen and I liked what I heard. I also looked at some performace bar graphs vs price and that's how I came to my conclusion on the 1600X.

The motherboard sounds pretty bad@$$ and if I'm getting all that, I might as well get the 3200 RAM over the 3000 RAM. I have an old crappy video card that runs everything I throw at it so I'll just keep plugging away with it until it breaks.

I also got a GREAT deal on a CPU heatsink from Cooler Master. I'm not really one of those "you have to have a custom heatsink guys", but I got this one for like $13.99 after MAR, the sale price, and a $5 amazon credit that I had.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBXKP8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nice!

I was just posting since I imagine a lot of members are not aware of the tech forum yet so many people are expert at one aspect of tech/IT or another that they have much to contribute :)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-review-benchmarks

I also forgot to mention that I still run a SATA HDD instead of SSD. I don't care how long it takes to boot up my machine and I haven't noticed and performance issues when playing online games

Absolutely unacceptable you can't spend $500 on a mb, processor and ram without putting $100 into an ssd for your boot drive. The ssd should have been first every things better file transfer, program and os loading. Its the only upgrade I've seen make a huge difference in all my years of building computers.

I forgot sound I went exclusively ssd years ago I have quite a few of them laying around now. Its really the only thing I've splurged on for my computer. Any way you wouldn't think so but just the noise difference is awesome. My old athlons factory fan made hardly any noise most of the time and the thing was practically silent with an ssd. My intel runs a little louder its seems. My power supply is the other thing I've splurged on its super quiet compared to the factory pentium fan. I just leave the side of my computer open and don't run a main fan haven't in probably 15 years. You can still hardly tell its on, even with the intel fan.

The problem I always had with the newest technology is nothing was ready for it. Is it the same today? Can all games takes advantage of all 12 cores and all the advancements? Back in the day it was like as soon as the new stuff could be used to its advantage the newer stuff was taking over. I've always just stick with the basics for the most part except for ssds, power supply and monitor. The ebay geforce was a wild hair up my flowers because I don't really game any more. The ssds were all the best thing for under $100 which wasn't much worse than a regular hard drive with more space than I need. I hate to say it but don't forget a quality power supply bad power is the number one killer of expensive parts.

Edited by oldblue

Sata3 @ 6GB/s seems to be plenty of HDD speed. I mean I sould like to have a SSD, but if I buy a SSD then I have to buy 2 of them. One for my Chromebook and one for my Desktop (The Chromebook is the one that is the higher priority).

https://www.codedonut.com/chromebook/upgrade-ssd-toshiba-chromebook-2/

That will enable me to dual boot Linux and Chromeos. I do actually like Chromeos, but I need access to more features than it offers.

SSDs are SATA too. Thats just the bus that connects it to the motherboard. Its the hard drive its self thats slow. Maybe they're gotten better I haven't used a regular hard drive in probably 7 years.

I haven't tried chromeos, I was dual booting windows with linux for the longest time then windows made it a pita. So now I just have windows on one ssd and linux on another. I rarely boot into windows unless I have to, which reminds me I should because I back up my files on the other drive.