Sign in to follow this  
MsLMM

HIPAA Letter Process-Whychat I need ya!

Hi Whychat,

I hope all is well. I’m writing in efforts to get some assistance with the HIPAA letter process.

I’ve done a bit of research and followed the first couple of steps of the HIPPA process, but I wanted to ensure that I am taking the appropriate measures to complete the HIPAA process accurately. I’m a little bit at a stand-still and just need confirmation as to whether or not I’m on the correct path.

So…

Thus far, I have …

Opted out

Deleted old addresses

And sent my initial dispute letters

Originally my credit report reflected the following (as it relates to Medical expenses):

Equifax:

Revenue Recovery Corporation $3

Revenue Recovery Corporation $15

Revenue Recovery Corporation $50

Revenue Recovery Corporation $69

Revenue Recovery Corporation $108

Radiology Association of Clarksville $220

Medical Data System $706

Medical Data System $706

**NOTE: The three $69 Revenue Recovery Corp dues all have different account numbers. However, the two $706 Medical Data System charges are for the same service, with the same account number, and they are listed inaccurately twice on my credit report.

Experian:

Wakefield & Associates $3

Wakefield & Associates $19

Wakefield & Associates $50

Wakefield & Associates $69

Wakefield & Associates $108

Medical Data System $706

Transunion:

Wakefield & Associates $50

Medical Data System $706

After sending the original HIPAA letters my credit reports are CURRENTLY reflecting the following:

Equifax:

Medical Data System $706

Experian:

Medical Data System $706

Transunion:

So as you can see, this HIPAA Process has worked amazingly and for this I am more than grateful to you Whychat! However, it appears I still have a bit more to go.

As of today, it’s been approximately 1 month and perhaps 1 week since I submitted my original letters to the CRA’s. I have still yet to hear from any of them. The only correspondence I have received was from Equifax and it was simply a letter that read the following:

“Equifax offers you personal credit products to enlighten, enable and empower you. Whether you are managing your credit, protecting your identity or preparing for a major purchase, Equifax offers the tools you need to make the smartest choices possible….”

The letter goes on and on but does not mention anything other than a longwinded way of relaying their mission statement sort- of -speak.

So here are my questions…

1. What is my next step? Being that I have not heard anything from the CRA’s and only some of the items I’ve requested have been removed, what do I need to do next with the stubborn items that have yet to be deleted?

2. Is there a certain amount of time you suggest, one should wait to hear from the CRA?

3. Is there a certain or specific dispute process that you recommend for “MEDICAL DATA SYSTEMS”? (in particular)

4. On my Experian credit report Medical Data Systems is listed twice. Should I dispute this separately? (Meaning: should I dispute the fact that this is listed twice and also proceed with having this removed via the HIPAA process or should I just see if the overall HIPAA process will result to both inaccuracies being removed?)

5. From my original HIPPAA letter, ALL of the Revenue Recovery fees were removed from my credit report with the exception of the $3.00 fee. (The $3.00 fee is listed on Transunion and Equifax as “Revenue Recovery”, however on Experian its listed under “Wakefield and Associates”) Being that all other Revenue Recovery and Wakefield and Associates fees were removed, do I have any leverage to be capable of getting the $3.00 fee removed automatically?

6. There are other non-health related items that I desire to dispute on my credit report. Do you suggest I wait until the HIPPAA process is complete or does it make any difference?

7. With the HIPAA process, once an item is removed from my credit report, if I decide to pay the debt anyway (in efforts to prevent the possibility of a company attempting to come after me for the amount due) is there any particular recommendation on how to go about paying this that you can recommend?

Thank you for your time and attention to my concern

MsLMM

You have done well in following the steps in the program so far.

You opted out and deleted old addresses

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

You sent the initial dispute letter

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

from the HIPAA letter program

https://whychat.me/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

I am VERY surprised that a $3. charge is still on your reports. You ARE using real reports directly from the CRAs aren't you?? How are you getting your results??

The next step is to send the medical DV to the CAs

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

and as soon as you have proof of receipt-- send the follow up dispute to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

I do NOT recommend paying anyone anything once an account is deleted from your reports. The deletion means that there is NO valid debt. If you try to pay the OC all you will accomplish is to throw your $$ away as they have no way of crediting your account once it is out of their system. If you pay the CA you risk having it re-inserted on your reports as a "paid" collection-- which is WORSE than an unpaid one as while it is still derogatory it would be more recent.

As to clearing other non medical accounts-- yes once any CRA report is CLEAR of all medical accounts you have disputed you can start on the non medical ones. If you do anything with them now while your medical accounts are in dispute the disputes will get merged and nothing good will happen.

Whenever you are ready to dispute your non medical accounts-- make sure you are still opted out as some on line activity might have opted you back in again accidentally. You can use the SOL letter program for non medical accounts that are past your State's SOL ( statute of limitations)

https://whychat.me/SOL%20PROGRAM%20GUIDE.html

Whychat,

WOW! Thank you so very much for your prompt response! Words cannot express how appreciative I am of you and your willingness to help and providing such great feedback!

To answer your question, yes… I have been getting my credit reports from the actual CRA’s (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion directly). I’ve been using the “backdoor” method.

I will get right on the next steps that you have referenced and should I need any additional assistance I will certainly be sure to contact you!

Again, thanks bunches!

MsLMM

Hi Whychat, I hope all is well.

I’m contacting you in efforts to both update you and get your advice as it relates to what my next move should be in the HIPAA dispute process. First, I want to let you know that you were absolutely correct. The $3 Revenue Recovery Charge that was once on my credit report has been removed. (YAY!) In fact, it was literally the very next day after your initial response that I checked again and sure enough the charge was deleted. So thank you for that.

So… per your last advice, I have sent the medical DV to the CA’s. I then sent the follow-up dispute to the CRA’s as soon as I had proof of receipt.

Present day, I have not heard from any of the CRA’s. However, I did receive a response from Medical Revenue Services and Fox Collection. (FYI: Fox Collection is the company representing Radiology Associates of Clarksville) Below I have exported the verbiage of each letter via pdf:

Fox Collection/ Radiology Associates of Clarksville letter states the following:

“Our office Is In receipt of your letter of dispute and request for verification pursuant to 15 U.S.C. & 1661s-2 of the FAIR DEBT REPORTING ACT. Please be advised that we have contacted our client (as listed above) who has confirmed the name and address listed on the account as well as the amount owed. Based on our investigation of your dispute, It Is our position we have identified you as the correct consumer for this account.

In acknowledgment of your dispute, we have requested that consumer reporting agencies report the account as disputed. Consumer reporting agencies may take up to 30 days or longer to update reports and this Is beyond our control.

Listed above Is a summary of the charges on the account. In the event the Information you have asked for may be considered confidential, we are asking you to please complete and return to us the authorization to release information" below and we will get the verification you have requested from our client.

Should you have any questions regarding this account, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to helping you resolve this matter.

This communication is an attempt to collect a debt by a debt collector. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. This collection agency Is licensed by the Collection Service Board of the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance.

Professional Recovery Management, Inc.dba Fox Collection Center”

***Note: This letter arrived in the form of a 1 page document. In addition to the verbiage above, it simply shows the account number, client number, amount due, and my name and address.***

Medical Revenue Services letter states the following:

Dear (my name was here)

We are in receipt of your letter of dispute and request for verification pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Please be advised we have contacted our client/original creditor, (name of company was here), who has confirmed the name and address listed on the account. In accordance with hospital admittance policy the person listed as the guarantor is responsible for the charges incurred. The creditor has also confirmed the amount owed. Based on our investigation of your dispute, it is our position we have identified you as the correct consumer for this account.

Please be advised that based upon your dispute, we have requested the credit reporting agencies to whom we have furnished information on the above referenced account, to update the information we furnished to reflect the account as disputed.

Enclosed is an itemized billing statement(s) provided by our client/ creditor that confirm the charges.

Should you have any questions regarding this account or if you wish to discuss payment" arrangements, please feel free to contact us at the number listed below. We look forward to helping you resolve this matter.

Sincerely,

***Note: This letter arrived in the form of a 4 page letter. In addition to the verbiage above, it included dates of services, services rendered, and cost of services. (Please excuse my ignorance, but I believe it to be a EOB, but I’m not certain)***

Question:

Given the above information, how to you suggest I proceed?

Thank you for taking the time to review my concern.

MsLMM

Your "EOB" ( explanation of medical benefits) would come from your insurance Co. not the reporting CA nor even the OC.

The fact that they requested that you fill out and sign the authorization form ( Fox)indicates that they are NOT the original assigned CA as ONLY the original assigned CA has been assigned your HIPAA release. DO NOT sign anything!!

Medical Revenue, on the other hand, appears to have been the original CA as they released your medical records.

Do you have, or can you get your actual EOBs from your insurance Co.??

How long ago did the CRAs get your follow up dispute??

What was the date of these medical services that are still reporting??

Edited by Why Chat

Ok, DO NOT sign anything…. Noted!

To address your questions:

Do you have or can you get your actual EOB’s from your insurance company?

I can certainly try. I’ll double check my records to see if I happen to have this information, However, I suspect that I do not and if that is the case I’ll definitely make strides to get them.

How long ago did the CRA’s get your follow up dispute?

• Equifax received my dispute on 10/02/17 8:48 a.m.
  • Experian received my dispute on 10/03/17 12:00 pm
  • TransUnion received my dispute on 10/03/17 1:24 pm

*Note: When I arrived home today, I did receive a letter from Experian. It is a one page letter and it states the following:

“If you question the results of our dispute process, then you may want to contact the furnisher of information directly or review the original information in the public record. Please refer to your original personal credit report for the furnisher or public records office, name, address and phone number…”

What was the date of these medical services that are still reporting?

• The dates of service was 9/29/15, 9/30/15, and 11/30/15 for Medical Data.
  • The date of service for Radiology Associate of Clarksville was 9/29/15.

***Note: I live in TN. I viewed the SOL but wasn’t for absolute sure as to whether or not these two services fall within such guidelines. In addition, I must say that prior to me finding this helpful advice my last payment to Medical Data Services was on 1/13/17. So I’m not sure as to whether or not I shot myself in the left pinky by making that payment back in January. (uggh)

MsLMM

Ok, DO NOT sign anything…. Noted!

To address your questions:

Do you have or can you get your actual EOB’s from your insurance company?

I can certainly try. I’ll double check my records to see if I happen to have this information, However, I suspect that I do not and if that is the case I’ll definitely make strides to get them.

How long ago did the CRA’s get your follow up dispute?

• Equifax received my dispute on 10/02/17 8:48 a.m.
  • Experian received my dispute on 10/03/17 12:00 pm
  • TransUnion received my dispute on 10/03/17 1:24 pm

*Note: When I arrived home today, I did receive a letter from Experian. It is a one page letter and it states the following:

“If you question the results of our dispute process, then you may want to contact the furnisher of information directly or review the original information in the public record. Please refer to your original personal credit report for the furnisher or public records office, name, address and phone number…”

What was the date of these medical services that are still reporting?

• The dates of service was 9/29/15, 9/30/15, and 11/30/15 for Medical Data.
  • The date of service for Radiology Associate of Clarksville was 9/29/15.

***Note: I live in TN. I viewed the SOL but wasn’t for absolute sure as to whether or not these two services fall within such guidelines. In addition, I must say that prior to me finding this helpful advice my last payment to Medical Data Services was on 1/13/17. So I’m not sure as to whether or not I shot myself in the left pinky by making that payment back in January. (uggh) Are they(Medical Data Services) reporting a correct balance due that reflects the payment you made?

MsLMM

Your last response from Experian was a result of your follow up dispute??

Get your EOMBs ( Insurance Companies are required to keep records for 5 years)

You are NOWHERE near the 4 year SOL for being sued, if your credit report indicates that you have assailable assets or a garnishable paycheck you MAY be sued for the larger amounts.

I have a question regarding this statement...

I do NOT recommend paying anyone anything once an account is deleted from your reports. The deletion means that there is NO valid debt. If you try to pay the OC all you will accomplish is to throw your $$ away as they have no way of crediting your account once it is out of their system. If you pay the CA you risk having it re-inserted on your reports as a "paid" collection-- which is WORSE than an unpaid one as while it is still derogatory it would be more recent.

My debts were removed from the CRAs surprisingly easily. However I know the debts are legit and my worry is that the CAs will just send the again and they'll show up on my credit report again. So I was thinking to pay them but from what you're saying do not pay them and it won't show up on my report again?

I have a question regarding this statement...

My debts were removed from the CRAs surprisingly easily. However I know the debts are legit and my worry is that the CAs will just send the again and they'll show up on my credit report again. So I was thinking to pay them but from what you're saying do not pay them and it won't show up on my report again?

I went back to your original thread;

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=602029&do=findComment&comment=5680408

You never said the age of your accounts, but as far as I can tell if you had them all deleted from all the CRAs it means they were NOT valid bills.

If the debts were "legit" they would NOT have been deleted so easily. Check your EOMBs and you will likely see that the debts were NOT "legit"

In any case paying anyone anything on accounts that were successfully deleted so easily would be counter productive as it might expose you to activities from JDBs ( junk debt buyers). If you want to donate to one of the charities I have listed at the bottom of my website it would be a more productive use of your $

Edited by Why Chat

The debts are 1 to 3 years old. I know the debts are real through the OC, maybe I just have to pay them. I'm glad the process is working but I just feel like the bills aren't just gonna go away. So then how do I get them to stop calling me?

Thanks for your prompt response WhyChat!

Yesterday, I did as you told me. I contacted the insurance companies to request my EOMB’s. I was told that this could take a couple weeks.

I did notice that on yesterday (10/18/19, Wednesday ) I received an e-mail from Equifax stating that my dispute was under review and to click the hyperlink to receive the dispute by way of email. (NOTE: I didn’t click anything)

The Experian documentation I received was the only thing that I received from them. Nothing more. But, I know they did this on my first dispute and eventually sent me a follow-up document which included the results. (So I’m thinking I probably just need to be patient)

Lastly, in regards to the Medical Data Services payment: Interesting enough, the document only list charges for the services rendered, payments by the Health insurance company, and the payment I made on 1/13/17. Following the charges and payments the documentation does not show a balance due. Now that you mention it, I’ve noticed it doesn’t show how the charges and credits impact each other. (hope I’m making sense)

Question: (For next step purposes)

At this point, should I wait for the results from the CRA’s and wait on my EOMB’s, then get back with you once I receive either of the 2?

MsLMM

"Question: (For next step purposes)

At this point, should I wait for the results from the CRA’s and wait on my EOMB’s, then get back with you once I receive either of the 2?"

It would be better to have BOTH.

At this point, as far as I can tell,since the accounts are not on all 3 reports and they are fairly recent, your EOMBs would be the most important factor.

I’m writing you to provide you with a quick update and to also ask a quick question.

So, I have followed your advice and requested my EOB’s from my previous insurance provider. I have received the EOB’s.

As a recap: The last of the Medical items I am disputing consist of Medical Data System and Fox Collection.

I have received an update from TU which indicates that they have removed Fox Collection, but Medical Data is accurately reporting, therefore it will not be removed.

I have not received any updates from EX nor EQ, however when I check my credit report via the backdoor I have noticed that Medical Data is still on my EX report and both Medical Data and Fox Collection still appear on my EQ report.

I will continue to wait on the actual letters from EX and EQ, but I wanted to ask you the following:

1. How do you suggest I review these EOB’s? I honestly don’t even know where to begin or what to look for. I did a little research on how to know if your EOB is correct, but I wanted to get your insight.

2. I may be jumping the gun here, because I’m sure you want me to wait… So Once, I receive the EX and EQ letters (as it relates to the completion of my investigation) what should my next move be? (I believe that I know the next step, but I want to confirm to ensure accuracy).

Thank you

MsLMM

Look at your EOMBs for the dates of medical service shown on the accounts being reported.

Look for what was charged, what was allowed, what was paid, and what (if anything) was left as "patient responsibility" IE "the amount you may be billed for"

Check your credit card and checking account records to see if you paid anything for THOSE remaining charges.

As I understand from your post, you disputed the accounts to TU, Ex and Eq and 1 or more accounts remain on 1 or more reports.

The next step in the HIPAA letter program:

https://whychat.me/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

is to send the medical DV to the reporting CAs that remain on any reports.

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

As soon as you have a copy of the proof of receipt, send the follow up dispute to the remaining CRAs who have not deleted

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

I am assuming you received NO response with the requested account information from the CAs as a result of your initial dispute letter. This indicates that NONE of the remaining accounts from any remaining CA are valid.

The medical DV includes a total cease and desist and should stop the telephone calls.

Whychat, Thank you for your prompt response!

My apologies… let me take a couple of steps back.

§ Equifax received my follow-up dispute on 10/02/17 8:48 a.m.

§ Experian received my follow-up dispute on 10/03/17 12:00 pm

§ TransUnion received my follow-up dispute on 10/03/17 1:24 pm

After I sent my DV letters to the CA’s and the follow-up dispute letter to the CRA’s (immediately after proof of receipt was verified)

I then received a letter from Medical Data Services on 10/5/17 and Fox Collection on 10/9/17.

Medical Data Services provided dates of services, whereas Fox Collection did not.

Since then, I have heard back (again) from Medical Data Services on 10/19/17, stating that they have already responded to this matter and “because your dispute alleges no new facts and includes no new information “they will not be conducting another investigation.

10/28/17, I received a letter from TU stating that Fox collection has been removed, however Medical Data will remain on my report.

To present date, I have not heard from Fox Collection, EX, nor EQ

I will definitely review the EOB’s as you have informed me. As it relates to next step, does this information I have provided change up the game plan or do I continue to move forward with the same steps you have just recently provided?

Thank you

MsLMM

Whychat, Thank you for your prompt response!

My apologies… let me take a couple of steps back.

§ Equifax received my follow-up dispute on 10/02/17 8:48 a.m.

§ Experian received my follow-up dispute on 10/03/17 12:00 pm

§ TransUnion received my follow-up dispute on 10/03/17 1:24 pm

After I sent my DV letters to the CA’s and the follow-up dispute letter to the CRA’s (immediately after proof of receipt was verified)

I then received a letter from Medical Data Services on 10/5/17 and Fox Collection on 10/9/17.

Medical Data Services provided dates of services, whereas Fox Collection did not. Other than dates of service-did MDS provide ANY other details as to what medical procedures you received?

Since then, I have heard back (again) from Medical Data Services on 10/19/17, stating that they have already responded to this matter and “because your dispute alleges no new facts and includes no new information “they will not be conducting another investigation.

10/28/17, I received a letter from TU stating that Fox collection has been removed, however Medical Data will remain on my report.

To present date, I have not heard from Fox Collection, EX, nor EQ Can you check the "back door" of Ex and Eq to see the status of your follow up disputes?

I will definitely review the EOB’s as you have informed me. As it relates to next step, does this information I have provided change up the game plan or do I continue to move forward with the same steps you have just recently provided? No, you obviously have already sent the medical dvs and the follow up disputes. All you need to do now is to see exactly what Ex and Eq did with your disputes

Thank you

MsLMM

Let us know what you have discovered from checking the "back doors" of Ex and Eq. Wait another week before checking. Also let us know what EXACTLY you may or may not have actually owed to the OCs that wasn't paid and remind me as to the dates of medical services.

Yes, Medical Data Services provided both dates of service and medical procedures.

I will wait another week to check the backdoor, then follow-up with you in regards to EX and EQ.

I’ll also review the EOB’s and follow-up with you in regards to the findings there as well.

Thanks bunches! Chat with you soon!

MsLMM

I’m contacting you with follow-up information. Per our last chat I have tracked down a close friend who previously worked in the benefits department for the company that I previously was insured by.

With that said, it appears that I have found two services that I was billed for that I was not made aware of nor did I agree to. In addition, the only other thing that I found interesting is that there is a charge for an “Extended ED visit” (Extended Emergency Room Department visit) which I was billed for. I did a very brief bit of research and the only findings I found is that typically someone is billed for this when he/she stays over 23 hours in the hospital. If this is true, the day I arrived at the ER to be seen, I was there less than 5 hours. So I’m not certain as to what I can do with this information (via the HIPAA dispute process)

As a recap: I am disputing Medical Data and Fox Collection

TU- has informed me by way of letter that Fox Collection has been removed but Medical Data is valid.

EX- While, Fox Collection does not appear on my EX credit report, Medical Data does. I have received a letter from EX indicating that Medical Data is valid, therefore it will remain on my credit report.

EQ- To present date, I have yet to hear from EQ. I checked the “backdoor” literally before writing and posting this response. When I checked via backdoor, both Fox collection and Medical Data appear on my credit report. The notes under both listings reflect the following:

“Consumer disputes this account information.”

Per our previous chat, Whychat, you asked to be reminded of the dates of service. The dates of service are as follows:

§ 9/29/15 for Medical Data. (FYI: In a previous post I indicated 9/30/15, and 11/30/15 were dates of service. This was incorrect, the 9/30/15, and 11/30/15 were actually dates that my insurance company applied credits to the billing)

§ 9/29/15 for Radiology Associate of Clarksville.

Whychat, as my trusted advisor, I’m seeking both your thoughts on the above information and advice as to next step(s)

Kind regards,

MsLMM

Edited by MsLMM

FYI Additional information: (The information pertaining to speaking with a friend who worked for my previous insurance company is in regards to my friend and I reviewing my EOB's) -Apologies for the potential confusion.

OK, as I understand it you have only one account still appearing on any of your reports (Medical Data) and your EOB indicates that you were improperly billed for services you did not receive??

Do you have any documentation from this "over-billed" account that would support your contention?? If so, file a complaint with your State's consumer protection for over-billing. If not, pay the OC the amount claimed with the HIPAA letter insert "a"

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

Hi Whychat,

Once again thanks for your prompt response!

Quick recap: Since the step of sending my debt validation letters I have only heard back from TU and EX, I have not heard anything at all from EQ )

So now, to present date (As it relates to Medical debt reporting on my credit reports) the following is still reporting:

TU- Medical Data

*(In response to my DV letter, TU agreed to remove Fox Collection but not Medical Data)

EX- Medical Data

*(EX response letter stated Medical data is valid, therefore they will continue reporting the debt)

EQ- Medical Data and Fox Collection

*( After sending DV letter, still have not heard from EQ)

I’m going to check to see if I have anything that will allow me to file a complaint with the State’s Consumer protection. However, I don’t believe I do (Definitely a lesson learned)… so I’m most likely going to proceed with the HIPAA process insert “A”.

With that said I just have 1 question (for now anyway):

1. Given that EQ has not responded at all, should I send a follow-up letter of some sort to them?

Thanks Whychat for reviewing my questions and assisting me

MsLMM

Equifax is a bottomless pit of trouble right now. Once you have paid the OC with the HIPAA letter you can use the follow up disputes to make sure it is deleted from all your reports. ( follows insert "c" in the program.

Ok, gotcha!

I'll get my coins together to take care of the debt and proceed with the next steps per your advice. I'll followup with you thereafter.

Thanks again Whychat!

Chat with you soon!

MsLMM

Hi Whychat,

I have a quick question for you. Today I received a letter from Medical Data. It is dated November 7, 2017 and it states the following:

" Dear (my name)

We are in receipt of your written dispute of the debt in question, and pursuant to same, Medical Data Systems, Inc, dba Medical Revenue Service no longer services the above- referenced returned account for Tennova of Clarksville. You will need to contact the original creditor to dispute the validity of the above-referenced returned account(s) For your convenience find below the name and address of the original creditor.

Tennova of Clarksville

(Address of Tennova is inserted here) "

My question: Given the above information, I'm wondering if this changes up the game as it relates to my next step in attempting to remove"Medical Data" from my credit report.

Thank you

MSLMM