Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Where Was Your Card Declined Today?

Within a 30-minute period this afternoon:

I tried to make a < $10 purchase on Ebay using my PayPal Extras MasterCard. Declined three times in a row. No apparent reason.

Next I tried the PenFed Useless RewardsTM Visa. Declined. Oops, wrong billing address. Tired again. Approved.

Then I went to Vons and tried to put $11.xx on my Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa. Declined. Tried the same card again. Approved.

It must be the day. Activate my new Big Bank Brand card online when I got it yesterday and used it for a couple of online purchases. Cool.

Went to 7/11 for some much-needed caffeine and declined. The CSR told me that it hadn't really been activated. yayyyyy. It's all good now.

A pretty weak story, I know. But the thread gets bumped :)

My QS1 was declined today but that's because my 3k limit was maxed. :(

Can't a guy buy tires?!

My QS1 was declined today but that's because my 3k limit was maxed. :(

Can't a guy buy tires?!

But don't worry my Discovery was there to save the day!

I realized this morning that I purchased the wrong version of the product I ordered from Ebay. I'm usually pretty careful to make sure I get silicone-based, because the water-based gets gummy and becomes non-functional so quickly.

The seller was very nice and allowed me to cancel my order, so I re-ordered the right product from the same place. I tried to pay the $13.69 with my PayPal Extras MasterCard, and once again it was declined.

I guess it's time to get Synchrony on the horn.

I realized this morning that I purchased the wrong version of the product I ordered from Ebay. I'm usually pretty careful to make sure I get silicone-based, because the water-based gets gummy and becomes non-functional so quickly.

The seller was very nice and allowed me to cancel my order, so I re-ordered the right product from the same place. I tried to pay the $13.69 with my PayPal Extras MasterCard, and once again it was declined.

Don't they know it's YOU? :)

Chat is offline for the weekend. What the f? So I called.

The Synchrony CSR told me that they don't see any declined transactions and that I need to talk to PayPal.

I explained that I wasn't paying with PayPal, I was putting the 16-digit number from the card her employer issued to me directly on the Ebay checkout page. She kept insisting that I need to talk to PayPal.

I agreed to be transferred, and as I began navigating through PayPal's phone tree, I thought to myself:

"WHY THE HELL DO I CARE IF I CAN'T USE THIS STUPID USELESS CREDIT CARD? WHY WOULD I WASTE ONE MORE SECOND TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT?"

The Synchrony CSR told me that they don't see any declined transactions and that I need to talk to PayPal.

I explained that I wasn't paying with PayPal, I was putting the 16-digit number from the card her employer issued to me directly on the Ebay checkout page. She kept insisting that I need to talk to PayPal.

I agreed to be transferred, and as I began navigating through PayPal's phone tree, I thought to myself:

"WHY THE HELL DO I CARE IF I CAN'T USE THIS STUPID USELESS CREDIT CARD? WHY WOULD I WASTE ONE MORE SECOND TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT?"

The more important question is, why do you have a Synchrony card again?

I'm suspecting you must have a masochistic streak to put up with this. Clearly Synch doesn't want you to use the card. So, don't. ?????

I'm suspecting you must have a masochistic streak to put up with this. Clearly Synch doesn't want you to use the card. So, don't. ?????

I have two Synchrony cards.

1 - W****t MasterCard (because once upon a time it wasn't so easy to get a free FICO score)

2 - PayPal Extras MasterCard (because in my early days here I picked up my share of turd cards because I wasn't nearly discerning enough)

[stirpot] Used discover all day for 5% restaurants. In 2 1/2 years, it's yet to be declined. [/stirpot]

Discover is the only card I’ve had declined in 2.5 years. 4-5 times.

[stirpot] Used discover all day for 5% restaurants. In 2 1/2 years, it's yet to be declined. [/stirpot]

The last time I tried to use my Discovery on an actual purchase, they declined the charge that I made at the merchant I selected and clicked through from Discovery Deals just minutes earlier.

I had literally authenticated myself on Discovery's site and told them I was going to make the purchase from this specific merchant.

At the same time they also flagged a couple of Home Depot purchases as fraudulent, even though almost all of the items I had purchased at HD had already been returned and credited back to the same card. :lol:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=518621&p=5643177

Edited by cv91915

The last time I tried to use my Discovery on an actual purchase, they declined the charge that I made at the merchant I selected and clicked through from Discovery Deals just minutes earlier.

I had literally authenticated myself on Discovery's site and told them I was going to make the purchase from this specific merchant.

At the same time they also flagged a couple of Home Depot purchases as fraudulent, even though almost all of the items I had purchased at HD had already been returned and credited back to the same card. :lol:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=518621&p=5643177

You return more things than I purchase... Lol.

1 - W****t MasterCard (because once upon a time it wasn't so easy to get a free FICO score)

2 - PayPal Extras MasterCard (because in my early days here I picked up my share of turd cards because I wasn't nearly discerning enough)

Yes, some of these turd cards are like hairstyles in old yearbook pictures. They all seemed like a good idea at the time to someone, but now it's just a forehead slap with a gasp of "what was I thinking?"

Yes, some of these turd cards are like hairstyles in old yearbook pictures. They all seemed like a good idea at the time to someone, but now it's just a forehead slap with a gasp of "what was I thinking?"

When I typed that I'd forgotten about:

3 - Ebates Visa. Additional 3% back on top of the Ebates portal cash back when you start the purchase from Ebates.

The shopping rebates from the Ebates portal are in most cases less than half of what I can get elsewhere. It's gotten to the point where I will only use Ebates if they are the only cash-back portal for a given retailer.... making the Ebates Visa serve an impossibly small niche in my spending. I don't even think about the card anymore.

I made a large (nearly $10k) purchase last week on my Citi DC card. It was initially declined, and I received a text from Citi asking if I had initiated the charge. I responded in the affirmative and received what must have been an automatic reply saying to run it again. I told the merchant to run it again and it went through fine.

When I typed that I'd forgotten about:

3 - Ebates Visa. Additional 3% back on top of the Ebates portal cash back when you start the purchase from Ebates.

The shopping rebates from the Ebates portal are in most cases less than half of what I can get elsewhere. It's gotten to the point where I will only use Ebates if they are the only cash-back portal for a given retailer.... making the Ebates Visa serve an impossibly small niche in my spending. I don't even think about the card anymore.

I am surprised at the Ebates comment because in my experiences they are usually in line with most of the other places, and I would rather consolidate to one portal rather than chase the absolute max to get a couple of extra $$ in the cases where they are lower. Who do you find to be more lucrative on a regular basis?

On topic - Had my CSR declined by the taxi driver in Budapest. Was able to use Freedom in its place. Didn't care so much about FTF as I was getting reimbursed. CSR had worked all week and later at the DF shop. I think it was the driver's machine.

Edited by CTSoxFan

My primary portal is now TopCashBack. I had stopped using it some years ago because they were almost as bad as Discovery when it came to paying rewards incorrectly, and there was no way to reach a human to resolve errors.

Like you, I am not willing to have 20 portal accounts so I can get an extra 8 cents on the pair of nipple clamps I buy every few years, but TCB routinely pays 2x or more what Ebates pays, and theyve gotten much better at tracking.

Using coupon codes or paying with gift cards often voids the cash back with TCB... they seem to be one of the few places to enforce that. So I use Ebates for those purchases and for those where the merchant isnt on TCB.

You can eyeball some of your favorite merchants here to see how the two portals stack up.

https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashback-comparison/

I used to use TCB but got frustrated with the reasons you state. Also, cashing out the rewards is still a PITA for me, as for some reason it never lets me just log in straight away, I have to go through hoops to do so. Combined with the coupon issue I just moved to Ebates and am OK with it. I basically use either Ebates or Disco Deals, but am using DD less and less as Ebates is usually equally as rewarding plus I can use my Chase card for URs.

I used to use TCB but got frustrated with the reasons you state. Also, cashing out the rewards is still a PITA for me, as for some reason it never lets me just log in straight away, I have to go through hoops to do so. Combined with the coupon issue I just moved to Ebates and am OK with it. I basically use either Ebates or Disco Deals, but am using DD less and less as Ebates is usually equally as rewarding plus I can use my Chase card for URs.

Redemptions for TCB are easy. I just ACH them to a checking account I have reserved for random similar purposes.

If I valued URs more than I do I would probably use Chase's shopping portal a lot more.

The very best for tracking and customer service is AAdvantage eShopping (and the other co-brands administered by Cartera). They fix problems, which are rare, quickly, and they are awesome with follow-up. But the last thing I need is more AA miles.

Redemptions for TCB are easy. I just ACH them to a checking account I have reserved for random similar purposes.

If I valued URs more than I do I would probably use Chase's shopping portal a lot more.

The very best for tracking and customer service is AAdvantage eShopping (and the other co-brands administered by Cartera). They fix problems, which are rare, quickly, and they are awesome with follow-up. But the last thing I need is more AA miles.

For some reason with TCB, when I try to go to the redemptions page it asks me to log in. I put in UN/PW and hit login and it just goes to the login page. Only way I can get it to work is to logout, reopen a TCB page, click through to a random site via open in new tab. Enter login details there, then go back to original page to access account and payout. It isn't the redemption, it is the getting there that just annoys me.

I value Chase URs very highly, however it always seems to be at least 50% less than other options, and can't use coupons, etc. I will check before a big purchase, but as a matter of daily course I just use Ebates (the ease of use with the Ebates button vs. having to go to multiple websites factors highly in to that as well).

UPS Capital Insurance Services does not accept Discover.

Not a true decline since I did not and would not try to use it, but a highly relevant datapoint nonetheless.

Alliant blocks my card every other day. 5 blocks in less than 30 days and had to call them 5 times and talk to fraud dept to remove the block so I could use it again.

Alliant blocks my card every other day. 5 blocks in less than 30 days and had to call them 5 times and talk to fraud dept to remove the block so I could use it again.

Any pattern, or is it random?