Call today, legit or scam?

The last post in this topic was posted 1109 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I hope I'm posting in the proper section.

I got a call today from someone from "Nationwide Document Delivery Service". It was a private number. The woman said she was calling to verify if I would be home to accept the delivery of a legal document regarding a lawsuit and gave me a number, making a point to refer to it as a "docket number". I said to her that if she was a process server thanks for the heads up! I then asked what this was about and what the number was for the company she represents. I wouldn't answer any questions or discuss anything unless I knew who I was talking to. She gave me a number for a law firm "R&R Law Group". I called and was transferred to an "attorney". This supposed attorney wanted me to verify my identity and I said I would not be giving her any information about myself so what the heck is this all about? She had the last four digits of my SS and proceeded to tell me that Wachovia is bringing suit against me for $1,900 that I supposedly owed them for a negative balance in my checking account and they were "charging" me with intention to defraud a financial institution. I asked for the date of this alleged fraud and was told 2010. At that point I told her not to contact me again and hung up.

First, I do not think I could ever be so far in the red on any account and not know it. This was a very turbulent time for me financially and I was foreclosed on, however, if I had that type of a deficit in any of my bank accounts, I think I would have remembered it. I have never been notified by this bank regarding this nor have they made any attempt to collect in seven years. I currently have an account with them I've had for many years so they know my current address, always. This doesn't even show up as a collection on my credit report nor have I been placed in chexsystems. I have four banks and 6 bank accounts and never had a problem opening up any of those accounts.

Could this be a collection agency or possibly someone got a hold of my credit info from Equifax and is trying to perpetrate a scam?

You will STILL want to be proactive and keep an eye on the civil filings for your jurisdiction...many District Clerks now have filing systems that are viewable online, with some even having the images available for everything from the initial pleading to routine docket control memos. Expiry of limitations does not generally preclude the filing of a suit. It is an affirmative defense that has to be asserted by the Respondent (who would then also file their counterclaim for potential State and federal statutory violations).

I get these random calls all the time. I just add them to my ignore list on my phone and delete the VM's. Strange though that they had the SSN info though as they shouldn't since they're completely bogus. Then again as secure as our information is these days it's not surprising to have an incomplete dossier where they're phishing to have you fill in the blanks. 2010 would put it outside of SOL anyway so....

Brush it aside and just keep monitoring your reports as usual.

Scam.

These scumbags have your personal information not from any hack. The perps are former employees of, or otherwise stolen / bought your data from, a debt collector.

There is absolutely nothing these people can do to you other than harass you and hope you are naive enough to give them money. Putting them on your block list is a waste of energy as they pop up again with a new name and number every few months.

What you can do is to harass them in return. I listen to their spiel, ask a few questions to indicate I am a sucker and then finally insult the bejesus out of them and hang up. They never call back. Another nice little trick, though not for the faint hearted, is to indicate you are willing to pay. I had one that accepted credit cards. I just so happened to have an AmEx that was due to expire and I was waiting for my renewal in the mail. I paid them their $800 and then promptly initiated a chargeback. Find their weak spot and then make sure they get FITA.

Thanks everyone for the input. I did a little digging and called Wells Fargo. I was transferred to their overdraft department and as it turns out, I did in fact have a negative balance that according to their records was "sold" in Feb. 2010. I don't remember it but it was a bad time for me back then so I guess it is possible after all. I do know that they never tried to collect so it's strange they would just sell a debt they didn't try to recoup in anyway. It may have had something to do with my foreclosure, not really sure. They did confirm that I do not show up as owing anything and that the call I got was probably a scam collector. It has been 7 years and 7 months since this debt was sold and who knows how long since it was first considered "late". My guess is that they were trying some last ditch effort to get some money, hence the references to "docket number" and making is sound like I as going to be served and then accused in the suit of purposely defrauding a financial institution. I can see how some people would really fall for this and cough up the money.

In case anyone is curious, the name of the collection agency is R&R Law Group and the initial call I got was from Nationwide Document Delivery Service. Nationwide Document Delivery Service calls people and tells them they have important court papers they need to deliver. If you ask, they give you the number of the "Lawyer" to call, in this case - R&R Law Group. You call and get a supposed lawyer who tries to scare you with the threat of being charged with a crime. I can see how this would make people extremely upset and worried. Is this tactic even legal?

Thanks everyone for the input. I did a little digging and called Wells Fargo. I was transferred to their overdraft department and as it turns out, I did in fact have a negative balance that according to their records was "sold" in Feb. 2010. I don't remember it but it was a bad time for me back then so I guess it is possible after all. I do know that they never tried to collect so it's strange they would just sell a debt they didn't try to recoup in anyway. It may have had something to do with my foreclosure, not really sure. They did confirm that I do not show up as owing anything and that the call I got was probably a scam collector. It has been 7 years and 7 months since this debt was sold and who knows how long since it was first considered "late". My guess is that they were trying some last ditch effort to get some money, hence the references to "docket number" and making is sound like I as going to be served and then accused in the suit of purposely defrauding a financial institution. I can see how some people would really fall for this and cough up the money.

In case anyone is curious, the name of the collection agency is R&R Law Group and the initial call I got was from Nationwide Document Delivery Service. Nationwide Document Delivery Service calls people and tells them they have important court papers they need to deliver. If you ask, they give you the number of the "Lawyer" to call, in this case - R&R Law Group. You call and get a supposed lawyer who tries to scare you with the threat of being charged with a crime. I can see how this would make people extremely upset and worried. Is this tactic even legal?

I don't care what Wells Fargo told you. It is a SCAM.

Don't be thick!

Nobody who is trying to serve you ever calls to ask if you will be home to accept service. Nobody ever drops legal terminology such as "docket number" into the equation unless they are trying to intimidate you.

Ask the "attorney" you spoke with her State Bar Association # and look her up.

That it appears to be a legitimate debt means squat. As I previously mentioned, this is not a hack. It's a scam perpetrated by or with help of former collection agency staff. They either stole or bought your data from a real collection agency at one time or they bought the data pretending to be a collection agency. Now they are going out on their own to try and scam people into paying.

I forget who on CB once recommended a consumer law firm called Agruss, but I have used them a few times and they are fantastic. I have spoken many times and at depth with Michael and he explained in detail how these scumbags and also legitimate collection agencies work. If it's a real CA, Michael will chop off their gonads and you will get a check. If it's a fake outfit, he will verify and tell you that they are fake and you can tell them to FOAD.

Google Michael Agruss and call him. I can give you the phone number in PM if you want.

• 8 months later...

"Ex-meow me, can you speak up? I can barely meow you"

"What's that? Why am I saying meow? I don't know what you're meowing about"

"Is this some kind of a prank meow? I'm going to meow up if you don't stop saying meow"

-should be the last time you hear from them

Jeff, this legit made me laugh! I had a fun conversation with one of these scumbags today. Schooled her on how SOLs in my state work:

Me: What's the SOL in my state?

Her: Ummmm... I think it's 10 years.

Me: No, it's four years. Your client is trying to collect on a time-barred alleged debt.

Her: No, it's renewed every time they send a bill (she meant dunning notice, I'm sure).

Me: No. (insert CB-garnered info on SOL, the time-barred collection language, and everything else)

I was polite but wanted to blow her hair back a bit with some information she was sadly lacking. I can't wait to see if they show up at the appointed time tomorrow.

"Is this some kind of a prank meow? I'm going to meow up if you don't stop saying meow"

Jeff, this legit made me laugh! I had a fun conversation with one of these scumbags today. Schooled her on how SOLs in my state work:

Me: No, it's four years. Your client is trying to collect on a time-barred alleged debt.

Her: No, it's renewed every time they send a bill (she meant dunning notice, I'm sure).

Me: No. (insert CB-garnered info on SOL, the time-barred collection language, and everything else)

I was polite but wanted to blow her hair back a bit with some information she was sadly lacking. I can't wait to see if they show up at the appointed time tomorrow.

My only reason for not giving them good solid law and examples is I don't want to make a better criminal. I don't want them to be able to refine their script and improve their chances of scaring someone less experienced into paying.

My only reason for not giving them good solid law and examples is I don't want to make a better criminal. I don't want them to be able to refine their script and improve their chances of scaring someone less experienced into paying.

Very good point. I basically wanted her to back off and not contact people in my professional circles. I honestly don't think she's bright enough to do anything for forget it happened and move on.

If you see a phone number with the same first six digits as yours... it is a scam.

Sometimes they will come out of nowhere and when they do, find your phone's "block" function for the number.

The scammers get a fair number of people, so... pay them no mind.

If nothing comes in the mail, enjoy your happy life.

The last post in this topic was posted 1109 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.