My Turn in the Barrel - Convergent

walkerbtac

The last post in this topic was posted 1706 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I recently noticed a dispute on EQ and EX for these guys from a company called Eversource. No idea who that was. SO I sent them this:

August 6, 2017

Walkerbtac

Convergent Outsourcing, Inc.

800 SW 39th Street/PO Box 9004

Renton, WA 98057

To whom it may concern,

I recently obtained a copy of my Experian and Equifax credit reports respectively, and noticed a collection account from your company. This is not a refusal to pay, but a request for information and verification, as provided for in the FCRA.

In order to determine that this account is mine, I require proof that I am the person that originally incurred this alleged debt. I also require proof of the validity of the alleged debt and documentation that details the amount of the alleged debt. Finally, I require proof that you are legally entitled to collect this alleged debt and are also licensed to collect debt in the State of South Carolina.

I require this information within the next 30 days and, until I receive this information, you are not authorized to make any attempt to collect this debt, as specified in the FRCA. Should you be unable to furnish this information, I insist that you cease all collection activity and remove the negative entry on my Equifax and Experian credit reports.

Thank you,

Walkerbtac

I subsequently found out this Eversource is CL&P. I did have an account with them and this is my last bill I never paid. My bad. I moved and never received it or if I did, I ignored it.

The response, within 30 days, I got from Convergent was AWESOME! It states:

"Enclosed are the documents you requested. Please call us after you have had a chance to review them." The attached documents was 1 page, of the account history, printed from their own system. Nothing about account history, the right to collect this debt, the licensing of them in SC.

My question is: What is my next step. I disputed with EX and EQ. EQ came back with verified. Nothing from EX yet. I've read the forum on these guys and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I want this gone. I'm willing to PFD, but these guys have a track record of screwing people.....

Thanks,

So I'm assuming you've read the other Convergent threads, yes?

Does EverSource/CL&P still own the account? Have you tried calling EverSource and seeing if you can pay them? (Don't yet, but at least seeing if you can) - and maybe they can pull the collection?

Convergent often reports to all 3, did you check TU as well?

Edited by scott31337

So I'm assuming you've read the other Convergent threads, yes?

Does EverSource/CL&P still own the account? Have you tried calling EverSource and seeing if you can pay them? (Don't yet, but at least seeing if you can) - and maybe they can pull the collection?

Read them until my eyes bled...ha ha ha. I have not called CL&P yet. From what I read, if you do that and pay the OC, Convergent will still report as paid, was collection based on others experiences.

I just finished getting Convergent ( Eversource (CL&P) ) off my reports. I filed a complaint with the DPUC in CT. Eversource continued to bill me after I notified them to disconnect (3 months while the house sat vacant, they never sent the bill to Ocwen). Then I filed a BBB complaint on Convergent. Had never heard from them, and I felt they should not report with an open DPUC dispute. Filed the BBB complaint the night of 9/5, email from BBB on 9/6 saying then sent the complaint to Convergent. Under 3 hours later I get a response from Convergent that they're sending it back to Eversource and ceasing all activity and deleting. As of today it's gone. I'm still waiting to hear from the DPUC. But mine is 5 years old so I think Eversource may just give up now.

i would start with Eversource. They should be able to give you a complete billing and payment history (that's how I knew they continued to bill me. $323 for one of the months the house sat empty with nothing running). Once you look at that, see if you have a DPUC complaint. That sure made Convergent fold like a cheap suit.

Edited by Feebz1029

So I recently noticed a dispute on EQ and EX for these guys from a company called Eversource. No idea who that was. SO I sent them this:

August 6, 2017

Walkerbtac

Convergent Outsourcing, Inc.

800 SW 39th Street/PO Box 9004

Renton, WA 98057

To whom it may concern,

I recently obtained a copy of my Experian and Equifax credit reports respectively, and noticed a collection account from your company. This is not a refusal to pay, but a request for information and verification, as provided for in the FCRA.

In order to determine that this account is mine, I require proof that I am the person that originally incurred this alleged debt. I also require proof of the validity of the alleged debt and documentation that details the amount of the alleged debt. Finally, I require proof that you are legally entitled to collect this alleged debt and are also licensed to collect debt in the State of South Carolina.

I require this information within the next 30 days and, until I receive this information, you are not authorized to make any attempt to collect this debt, as specified in the FRCA. Should you be unable to furnish this information, I insist that you cease all collection activity and remove the negative entry on my Equifax and Experian credit reports.

Thank you,

Walkerbtac

I subsequently found out this Eversource is CL&P. I did have an account with them and this is my last bill I never paid. My bad. I moved and never received it or if I did, I ignored it.

The response, within 30 days, I got from Convergent was AWESOME! It states:

"Enclosed are the documents you requested. Please call us after you have had a chance to review them." The attached documents was 1 page, of the account history, printed from their own system. Nothing about account history, the right to collect this debt, the licensing of them in SC.

My question is: What is my next step. I disputed with EX and EQ. EQ came back with verified. Nothing from EX yet. I've read the forum on these guys and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. I want this gone. I'm willing to PFD, but these guys have a track record of screwing people.....

Thanks,

you needed to file a FDCPA dispute,

try and pay the OC direct instead , get them to reccall the account from the CA

or use the sample letter to remove the CA once it's paid to the OC

walkerbtac,

Just for future reference, the collection agency wasn't required to send you any documentation. In addition, collection agencies are not required to be licensed in SC.

As of September 1, 2011 in South Carolina....

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, TO ENACT THE "DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY LICENSING ACT" BY ADDING CHAPTER 12 TO TITLE 37 SO AS TO ESTABLISH THE LICENSURE AND REGULATION OF DEBT COLLECTION AGENCIES BY THE DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS BY, AMONG OTHER THINGS, PROVIDING LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING FEES, SURETY BONDS, AND RECORD KEEPING REQUIREMENTS, GROUNDS FOR DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION OF A LICENSE, LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING CONTINUING EDUCATION, DEBT COLLECTION PROCEDURES, AND CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS.

walkerbtac,

Just for future reference, the collection agency wasn't required to send you any documentation. In addition, collection agencies are not required to be licensed in SC.

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, TO ENACT THE "DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY LICENSING ACT" BY ADDING CHAPTER 12 TO TITLE 37 SO AS TO ESTABLISH THE LICENSURE AND REGULATION OF DEBT COLLECTION AGENCIES BY THE DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS BY, AMONG OTHER THINGS, PROVIDING LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING FEES, SURETY BONDS, AND RECORD KEEPING REQUIREMENTS, GROUNDS FOR DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION OF A LICENSE, LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING CONTINUING EDUCATION, DEBT COLLECTION PROCEDURES, AND CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS.

That's a 2011 bill in the legislature to amend the SC Code of Laws. When did it pass? Where is Chapter 12 in Title 37 of the Code of Laws?

walkerbtac,

That's a 2011 bill in the legislature to amend the SC Code of Laws. When did it pass? Where is Chapter 12 in Title 37 of the Code of Laws?

It became effective on 9/1/12....

walkerbtac,

It became effective on 9/1/12....

Why isn't it in the Code of Laws?

A foreign (read "out of state") debt collector must register with the Secretary of State and be granted the authority to do business. This requirement is laid out in SC Code Section 33-15-102. Failure to register does not prohibit an out of state debt collector from collecting debt, but they cannot use the courts to maintain an action until they are registered with the Secretary of State. Two cases hold that a suit cannot be dismissed simply because the foreign corporation is not registered, but the proceedings must be stayed until the foreign corporation is registered.

Cost of Wisconsin, Inc. v. Jack W. Shaw et al., 292 S.C. 435; 357 S.E.2d 20; 1987 S.C. Lexis 260 (1987)

Chet Adams Company v. James F. Pederson Company et al., 307 S.C. 33; 413 S.E.2d 827; 1992 S.C. Lexis 11 (1992)

debt collectors regulated under this SC law, currently

SECTION 37-5-108. Unconscionability; inducement by unconscionable conduct

A foreign (read "out of state") debt collector must register with the Secretary of State and be granted the authority to do business. This requirement is laid out in SC Code Section 33-15-102. Failure to register does not prohibit an out of state debt collector from collecting debt, but they cannot use the courts to maintain an action until they are registered with the Secretary of State. Two cases hold that a suit cannot be dismissed simply because the foreign corporation is not registered, but the proceedings must be stayed until the foreign corporation is registered.
Cost of Wisconsin, Inc. v. Jack W. Shaw et al., 292 S.C. 435; 357 S.E.2d 20; 1987 S.C. Lexis 260 (1987)
Chet Adams Company v. James F. Pederson Company et al., 307 S.C. 33; 413 S.E.2d 827; 1992 S.C. Lexis 11 (1992)
debt collectors regulated under this SC law, currently
SECTION 37-5-108. Unconscionability; inducement by unconscionable conduct

Thanks, ICAN. :wave:

Here's the link to the SC Secretary of State and business filings.

https://businessfilings.sc.gov/BusinessFiling/Entity/Search

The last post in this topic was posted 1706 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.