Sign in to follow this  
cashnocredit

Major Equifax hack. Major personal info leaked

ICANHASMUNY? Are you a lawyer? I'd like to sign up for one of the class action lawsuits, but I want to join the biggest one with the most cut-throat attorneys. Any suggestions which one to join? Or are they all basically the same? I know I'll probably just get a check for .44 cents ten years from now, but it would be nice if they were driven out of business.

No, I'm not .... But I think my BBF E.W. is going to take them down all by herself.

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

ICANHASMUNY? Are you a lawyer? I'd like to sign up for one of the class action lawsuits, but I want to join the biggest one with the most cut-throat attorneys. Any suggestions which one to join? Or are they all basically the same? I know I'll probably just get a check for .44 cents ten years from now, but it would be nice if they were driven out of business.

No, I'm not .... But I think my BBF E.W. is going to take them down all by herself.

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

What is BBF?

Best Bi Friend??

Big Busted Friend???

Big Baby Friend????

:lol:

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

What is BBF?

Best Bi Friend??

Big Busted Friend???

Big Baby Friend????

I'm guessing Best Bar Friend. And "Bar" might have multiple meanings.

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

What is BBF?

Best Bi Friend??

Big Busted Friend???

Big Baby Friend????

Thanks! Learn something new every day. :lol:

I prefer Best Booze Friend. "Bar" could mean Bar Association. :)

The major stuff stolen from 100k peeps was apparently from a credit dispute website where they had access to documents filed, images of DLs and other identity documents and whatever goodies people disputing uploaded.

Risk Factor Disclosure in EQ's 10K

Security breaches and other disruptions to our information technology infrastructure could interfere with our operations, and could compromise Company, customer and consumer information, exposing us to liability which could cause our business and reputation to suffer.

In the ordinary course of business, we rely upon information technology networks and systems, some of which are managed by third parties, to process, transmit and store electronic information, and to manage or support a variety of business processes and activities, including business-to-business and business-to-consumer electronic commerce and internal accounting and financial reporting systems. Additionally, we collect and store sensitive data, including intellectual property, proprietary business information and personally identifiable information of our customers, employees, consumers and suppliers, in data centers and on information technology networks. The secure and uninterrupted operation of these networks and systems, and of the processing and maintenance of this information, is critical to our business operations and strategy. Despite our substantial investment in physical and technological security measures, employee training, contractual precautions and business continuity plans, our information technology networks and infrastructure or those of our third-party vendors and other service providers could be vulnerable to damage, disruptions, shutdowns, or breaches of confidential information due to criminal conduct, denial of service or other advanced persistent attacks by hackers, employee or insider error or malfeasance, or other disruptions during the process of upgrading or replacing computer software or hardware, power outages, computer viruses, telecommunication or utility failures or natural disasters or other catastrophic events. Unauthorized access to data files or our information technology systems and applications could result in inappropriate use, change or disclosure of sensitive and/or personal data of our customers, employees, consumers and suppliers.

We are regularly the target of attempted cyber and other security threats and must continuously monitor and develop our information technology networks and infrastructure to prevent, detect, address and mitigate the risk of unauthorized access, misuse, computer viruses and other events that could have a security impact. Insider or employee cyber and security threats are increasingly a concern for all large companies, including ours. Although we are not aware of any material breach of our data, properties, networks or systems, if one or more of such events occur, this potentially could compromise our networks and the information stored there could be accessed, publicly disclosed, lost or stolen. Any such access, disclosure or other loss of information could subject us to litigation, regulatory fines, penalties or reputational damage, any of which could have a material effect on our cash flows, competitive position, financial condition or results of operations. Our property and business interruption insurance may not be adequate to compensate us for all losses or failures that may occur. Also, our third-party insurance coverage will vary from time to time in both type and amount depending on availability, cost and our decisions with respect to risk retention.

The major stuff stolen from 100k peeps was apparently from a credit dispute website where they had access to documents filed, images of DLs and other identity documents and whatever goodies people disputing uploaded.

Well, that's good news for me, since I haven't filed any disputes since 2007 and had my files frozen in 2015

Sorry for the rest of Ya.

don't let freezing provides a false sense of security. it will not prevent the main threats of this breach.

I gotta figure i am safer having all 3 bureaus frozen than not. Maybe you could explain what main threat a freeze would be of zero help with cause I just do not get it.

Well, that's good news for me, since I haven't filed any disputes since 2007 and had my files frozen in 2015

+1

Another reason why not to file Online Disputes.

I"ve recommended it here and there for certain types of disputes, but nevermore

Yup. I alluded to this a few pages ago when I said people were being too focused on the social security and credit card numbers and forgetting that the CRAs have scans of our drivers licenses too.

Financial ID theft isn't even the biggest problem with this breach. Imagine a criminal driving around with a fake driver's license tied to you?

Edited by StupidCredit

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

What is BBF?

Best Bi Friend??

Big Busted Friend???

Big Baby Friend????

Thanks! Learn something new every day. :lol:

I prefer Best Booze Friend. "Bar" could mean Bar Association. :)

Urbandictionary has some good ideas.

Agreed.. I am too honest, I won't dispute things that I know are true....

don't let freezing provides a false sense of security. it will not prevent the main threats of this breach.

I gotta figure i am safer having all 3 bureaus frozen than not. Maybe you could explain what main threat a freeze would be of zero help with cause I just do not get it.

tax return theft, bank/retirement account take over, opening new bank account for criminal purposes.

freezing your four major consumer credit reports does not stop these possible problems.

tax return theft, bank/retirement account take over, opening new bank account for criminal purposes.

freezing your four major consumer credit reports does not stop these possible problems.

Set up with CC'sand Banks

2 step authentication on account access.

alerts for when your account is used online

Spending limits alerts

emailed weekly snapshots of account balances

debit card use

FICO Score changes

Seems nothing is "safe" . I had my identity stolen via the IRS breach and have been dealing with the fallout from that since 2015. And now this.......

Edited by pandora80

Equifax acknowledges a second security incident happened in March.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/18/equifax-acknowledges-second-security-incident-march.html

" Equifax brought in FireEye owned Mandiant to help investigate the first event, which came to light in March, and did the same thing after it discovered the hack on July 29, Bloomberg reported.

"The retention of Mandiant in March was unrelated to the July 29 cybersecurity incident. Equifax complied fully with all consumer notification requirements related to the March incident," an Equifax spokesperson told CNBC in an email.

Bloomberg said the two attacks "involve the same intruders," citing an unnamed source, but the Equifax spokesperson said that two hacks "are not related." "

Hmmm. If both incidents involved the same intruders, who came back for more, how can the hacks not be related?

This Mandiant/FireEye company must be doing a "helluva good job." They're consulted after the first smaller hack, and then the hackers come back a few months later to clean out the place. "Capitalism at work."

Another thing that you don't read about is the credit monitoring program they sign you up for can't really do a lot. Plus, they always tout (in a really big font) how "We'll pay up to a million dollars if your identity is stolen!" But when you look closer you see that they'll pay for "Costs associated with helping to get your identity back." That means, if you suddenly find your pension gone, or bank accounts emptied, or you 401k gone, they don't pay the $300,000.00 stolen, they just pay the costs of the lawyers and phone calls, etc.

I'm thinking now of that doctor on the show '60 Minutes'. She realized one day that she didn't get her quarterly retirement statements. When she called her retirement fund company she was told that they didn't send them because she was already retired! Yes, they explained- you took the early out, lump sum payment. They sent the check to a PO Box in New York City and it had been cashed. Of course, no one was available for these ID theft cases. No one wants to spend a penny for anything. Who has money for new police to investigate cyber crime? Every penny of government money has to, in some way, feed into the 1%'s pockets.

Edited by JackWorthing

I must be a glutton for punishment.

Equifax security confirmed that my details were compromised, but I just filed an online dispute again.

I was able to get an LN freeze last week by mentioning the Equifax breach, so I figured it would be worth a shot to file disputes against a couple of tax liens- a few released, one still active.

So far I've received 5 duplicate emails from Equifax acknowledging Dispute Received- one arrives in my email every hour, on the hour. The emails are the same. EQ's dispute website is down now- so maybe they're working the kinks out? But it's a little scary that their software just keeps emailing me the same thing over and over again.

Anybody else brave/stupid enough to request an EQ online dispute again post-breach?

If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, you most likely have ID theft coverage. It's easy to find out, it will be listed on the declarations page.