Major Equifax hack. Major personal info leaked

The last post in this topic was posted 1437 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As far as preventing credit fraud, it's useless. It will only create an aka on your credit file and lenders will still approve applications from either person. Seen it dozens of times. Changing SSN

All three of your reports do not contain identical data, and those are three separate companies that differentiate themselves in various ways to their customers.

I just got this message a few minutes ago.

System Currently Unavailable - Error 500

We're sorry. We cannot process your security freeze request online at this time. Please try back later.

To make a security freeze request with the other national consumer credit reporting agencies, please contact Experian and TransUnion: Experian,P.O Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013 (888)379-3742 TransUnion,P.O Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834 (888)909-8872 Thank you for giving Equifax the opportunity to assist you.

Equifax Information Services, LLC

Likewise here, both on the phone and online.... AFTER going through all the verification stuff.

Online for EQ:

Your Security Freeze request has been processed!

To make a security freeze request with the other national consumer credit reporting agencies, please contact Experian and TransUnion:

Experian, PO Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013 (888)397-3742

TransUnion, PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834 (888)909-8872

Because giant bold letters should make me feel better? :rofl:

But no issues with the site, and mid-request on things with TU, so I'll wait to re-ice it 'til later.

Froze EQ..

Trying EX and always get this error..

We are very sorry, we seem to have run into a technical problem with our system and are unable to complete your request at this time.

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, contact customer support.

Error Information

Group 11

Love this:

Good article from Bruce Schneier:

In case you didn't notice, you're not Equifax's customer. You're its product.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/09/on_the_equifax_.html

Also, Krebs notes a EQ group in Argentina with essentially zero security:

It took almost no time for them to discover that an online portal designed to let Equifax employees in Argentina manage credit report disputes from consumers in that country was wide open, protected by perhaps the most easy-to-guess password combination ever: “admin/admin.”

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/ayuda-help-equifax-has-my-data/

Unreal.

Unreal is an understatement.

Not surprised about EQ in Aregentina being crap. EQ in Peru is still garbage. With a DOB and DNI (kind of used as a Peruvian equivalent of a SSN), I can access your EQ file easily. The good news is that if someone stole your DNI from EQ it's no big deal. It's already available as a public record on multiple government online databases to anybody who knows your name. ;)

If I have an Equifax product can I freeze and unfreeze on their site without waiting on a pin in the mail

I've got that, too, and it works great. Except for when it doesn't work. Which lately has been a lot.

Edited by PotO

If I have an Equifax product can I freeze and unfreeze on their site without waiting on a pin in the mail

I've got that, too, and it works great. Except for when it doesn't work. Which lately has been a lot.

Hi! I was asking can I? I don't have a pin so can I freeze and unfreeze without a pin on the Equifax product and if so how? Thanks!!!

Hi! I was asking can I? I don't have a pin so can I freeze and unfreeze without a pin on the Equifax product and if so how? Thanks!!!

Sorry I misunderstood.

You have three options. One is the free Trusted ID turd. Freezes / unfreezes can take a day or longer to go into effect. Second, you can sign up for EQ CreditWatch Gold / Platinum / Whatever. There is an option for immediate freezes / unfreezes. They use the term "lock" instead of freeze. I have EQ CreditWatch Gold at $6.95 per month and you get unlimited EQ credit reports plus freeze / unfreeze function. The third option is to sign up for TU True Credit. It gives you the option to unfreeze / freeze both TU and EQ at will. It's about $19 per month.

Mixed results on my freeze attempt.

Equifax - no problems. Transunion - too busy. Experian - for some unknown reason, can't or won't and wants me to mail in ID verification stuff- which I'm thinking may have more to do with the volume of business they're doing than needing verification. They're hoping people will just not follow through with it.

Mixed results on my freeze attempt.

Equifax - no problems. Transunion - too busy. Experian - for some unknown reason, can't or won't and wants me to mail in ID verification stuff- which I'm thinking may have more to do with the volume of business they're doing than needing verification. They're hoping people will just not follow through with it.

Wouldn't surprise me if all three CRAs have seen an explosive increase in freeze requests. That seems to be the nearly universal suggestions made to deal with the EQ hack. This will put a big load on their systems for a while. Talk about going viral.

Sorry I misunderstood.

You have three options. One is the free Trusted ID turd. Freezes / unfreezes can take a day or longer to go into effect. Second, you can sign up for EQ CreditWatch Gold / Platinum / Whatever. There is an option for immediate freezes / unfreezes. They use the term "lock" instead of freeze. I have EQ CreditWatch Gold at $6.95 per month and you get unlimited EQ credit reports plus freeze / unfreeze function. The third option is to sign up for TU True Credit. It gives you the option to unfreeze / freeze both TU and EQ at will. It's about $19 per month.

Thank you!!!

I got the mail and logged in, and I have to say...that's a VERY underwhelming system they have! Though now, there's tons of old addresses showing on my report there that had been removed. Ah well, time to write a letter, though it doesn't give a report number, and after their eff-up, I'm not inclined to pay them for a CR, either when it wasn't there before. -_- Oh, FOAD already.

I got the mail and logged in, and I have to say...that's a VERY underwhelming system they have! Though now, there's tons of old addresses showing on my report there that had been removed. Ah well, time to write a letter, though it doesn't give a report number, and after their eff-up, I'm not inclined to pay them for a CR, either when it wasn't there before. -_- Oh, FOAD already.

As I stated earlier, it's a turd.

And from the same article:

"A patch for the vulnerability was issued in March, two months before Equifax said hackers began siphoning data."

Translated loosely...EFX KNEW the pooch was screwed and STILL took no steps to secure the backyard...

And from the same article:

"A patch for the vulnerability was issued in March, two months before Equifax said hackers began siphoning data."

Translated loosely...EFX KNEW the pooch was screwed and STILL took no steps to secure the backyard...

I do not see how they will escape prosecution on this.

SO I froze mine yesterday (signed up) . I use Credit Karma and another alert reporting company. I would think that as long as I get alerts of activities I should be fine; thus wonder how credit freeze is? either way I would find out if someone used/tried anything.

My worry would be IRS tax return filings before I filed mine.

I know that, I'm just saying that tax filing fraud is what I'd be worried about. No way to prevent that until you've been a victim, but IRS has gotten better at catching it. I was a tax filing victim 3 years ago. Discovered when I sent in my return via TT and alerted I already filed. took 6 months for IRS to clear up.

The last post in this topic was posted 1437 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.