Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Major Equifax hack. Major personal info leaked

The last post in this topic was posted 1027 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

------

I got the 9/12 message. At this point, I'm not going to enroll. I have other services, plus there's a small chance by enrolling you drop your rights to take or participate in legal action against Equifax. As I've said, the bad guys have personal information on everyone who has, or have applied for, credit in the U.S. What's left to protect? We just need to watch our credit files. If it's any consolation, it's kind of impossible for the bad guys to apply for credit for all 143,000,000 people.

It's likely what that outfit will be counting. Saw all that I needed just like most of you have already and I am NOT signing up for anything but going to wait this process out to it's conclusion.

Did however do a normal manual Freeze the regular way to have some air of prevention, that is if their system can even process it without another hack breaking through that too. UGH.

I literally just cleaned up my reports with Whychat's help to remove old unknown medicals. (Seriously not mine.)

Now this mess.

Got the same message as DarknessFalls.

When I hit "Enroll" it immediately asked for all of my info. Then I received a message saying to check my email for further directions.

Looks like I've been stolen. I'll post back after I get the email. Message said it could take time due to the high volume.

I don't understand why people keep wanting to be me....sometimes I don't even want to be me!

Checked for DH. Same message as above, then one stating his enrollment date is 9/14.

Only a guess.... but I'm thinking those of us that were immediately prompted to enter info are screwed.

Data point...neither of us have ever used CCT. Both use myFico and CK for monitoring.

I have a couple screenshots but can't figure out how to add images. (Glad to share if anyone is willing to teach a newb.)

I have a couple screenshots but can't figure out how to add images. (Glad to share if anyone is willing to teach a newb.)

You need an image hosting website. I use imgur.com. Your image must be a jpg. Use your existing image editor to change the extension (save as) to a jpg, if needed. Upload or drag and drop into imgur.com. Click on your uploaded image and chose BBCode to copy. Paste the copied code directly into your reply box. It will appear once you hit Post.

...assuming they actually dumped the stock, why would they dump it after what looks like just another 'biggest hack yet'?

I find that part confusing. EQ is acting like this isn't just the average biggest hack yet...

A few details.

They didn't dump all, or most, of their stock, but there was much more selling than historically occurred.

They sold in the period of time after the discovery of the hack but before the public announcement.

Probably not enough to get forwarded to the DoJ but the SEC will look closely at it.*

Biggest effect is on the class action suits. Lawyers are licking their lips on this one.

*However, the DoJ sometimes takes criminal actions when something is public enough and they want to send a message. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I should ask you then, are the terms of use for the EQSecurity2018 site intended to cull people away from the various class action suits (strictly)? Link to the Krebs 9.08.17 article.

NY's AG says no. The arbitration clause is for a different product, not the one they are offering associated with the hack.

https://twitter.com/AGSchneiderman/status/906235416738705408

Equifax CFO and two IT division Presidents claim that their $2 million dumping of EQ stock was not insider trading, because two days after Equifax IT became aware of the breach, apparently no one thought it was important enough to escalate to the attention of these senior execs.

Bravo Sierra

Dear Irma:

In Atlanta you'll find this SOB company's shiny headquarters building in your path. Please level that sucker and feel free to take as many senior level execs out to sea with you.

XoXo - J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After this current clusterfukk, security freezes should be made absolutely free for all.

Totally FUBAR that folks have to spend $30+ to counter the results of EQ negligence.

After this current clusterfukk, security freezes should be made absolutely free for all.

Totally FUBAR that folks have to spend $30+ to counter the results of EQ negligence.

It is really easy to fix all of this. All of these breaches. If all 143,000,000 people affect filed a local police report, an FBI report, a CFPB complaint, an AG complaint for his/her state and EQs home state, a BBB complaint, an FTC affidavit and wrote/called/visited his/her elected officials there would be all sorts of solutions presented.

But people won't do $hit. They're too busy watching Game of Thrones or America's Got Talent or worried about their fantasy football matchup or why Becky on the PTA board doesn't like them.

Vernichtungsgedanke vs couch potatoes. Edited by Konrad2012

It is really easy to fix all of this. All of these breaches. If all 143,000,000 people affect filed a local police report, an FBI report, a CFPB complaint, an AG complaint for his/her state and EQs home state, a BBB complaint, an FTC affidavit and wrote/called/visited his/her elected officials there would be all sorts of solutions presented.

But people won't do $hit. They're too busy watching Game of Thrones or America's Got Talent or worried about their fantasy football matchup or why Becky on the PTA board doesn't like them.

Sheeple.

Sheeple.

Yes, Vernichtungsgedanke vs sheep is a better analogy...have to get off the couch to know that Becky on the PTA board doesn't like you!

Hi guys,

I have just learned of this breach today. My question is, we could sign up for TrustedID Premier for free for one year but then what happens after that? Must I now sign up for a ID Protection Service for the rest of my life? Will changing my first name help prevent the thieves from using my personal information? Equifax might file for bankruptcy but that won't change the fact my information is still exposed. I know I can't change my SS but can I still change my driver's license number? I'd rather be proactive when it comes to protecting my information.

Edited by Gallardo

Hi guys,

I have just learned of this breach today. My question is, we could sign up for TrustedID Premier for free for one year but then what happens after that? Must I now sign up for a ID Protection Service for the rest of my life? Will changing my first name help prevent the thieves from using my personal information? Equifax might file for bankruptcy but that won't change the fact my information is still exposed. I know I can't change my SS but can I still change my driver's license number? I'd rather be proactive when it comes to protecting my information.

One year is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Almost all security experts state that thieves wait until the heat has died down before using their ill-gotten gains. The smart move is maintaining security freezes forever.

It's difficult to change your SSN and even if they do grant you a new number it will be a major pain in the azz to notify all your creditors and the credit bureaus, who will likely promptly fukk up again. I'm not sure about changing DL number. It would be up to the individual state. My guess is that they would be reluctant.

Sheeple.

Yes, Vernichtungsgedanke vs sheep is a better analogy...have to get off the couch to know that Becky on the PTA board doesn't like you!

You know what's kind of funny about all this? The same sheeple who can't be bothered are going to turn into whiny little biatches when the real effects of this data breach hit. You do know that creditors will use this as a reason to be further anal retentive in closing down accounts, making you provide ID and SS card for all credit applications, verification of phone numbers ... the new & improved Security Theater, v. 2.

Hi guys,

Almost all security experts state that thieves wait until the heat has died down before using their ill-gotten gains. The smart move is maintaining security freezes forever.

It's difficult to change your SSN and even if they do grant you a new number it will be a major pain in the azz to notify all your creditors and the credit bureaus, who will likely promptly fukk up again. I'm not sure about changing DL number. It would be up to the individual state. My guess is that they would be reluctant.

That's why I didn't sign up for the TrustedID Premier because it's pointless since the thieves would just wait one year before using the information. Credit freeze only prevent the opening of new cc but it doesn't protect me from other frauds like income tax fraud. I guess I'll do the freezes and change my first name for now.

Hi guys,

That's why I didn't sign up for the TrustedID Premier because it's pointless since the thieves would just wait one year before using the information. Credit freeze only prevent the opening of new cc but it doesn't protect me from other frauds like income tax fraud. I guess I'll do the freezes and change my first name for now.

TrustedID is a joke. First of all, you can only use it to freeze EQ and not the other two CRAs. Secondly, it's only free for a year. You need to keep your credit files frozen permanently.

Changing your first name is of little use. Your credit reports will always list your former name and a potential creditor will see this when they pull your reports. An application using your former name will still likely get approved.

Vernichtungsgedanke vs couch potatoes.

+1 Couldn't have it said better!

the real problem is your Phone # was hacked

how many of you utilize 2 step authentication?

how many of you have banking info saved on your phone?

real easy to call Phone Company, have that # ported to a new phone

thieves then have access to all your accounts, pretending to be you.

Freeze your reports, but get a new phone # too

the real problem is your Phone # was hacked

how many of you utilize 2 step authentication?

how many of you have banking info saved on your phone?

real easy to call Phone Company, have that # ported to a new phone

thieves then have access to all your accounts, pretending to be you.

Freeze your reports, but get a new phone # too

Some 2-factor authentication uses e-mail. So I guess the sequence should be:

Freeze

New phone #

New e-mail address

And the sad part about the changing of phone and email in my case would be that all these business connections will be -_- about a change of that, and it's more costs to redo letterhead, cards, so forth and so on, since my cell phone *is* my listed phone in many cases. Guess I need to add an extra $40 in the budget for a separate phone for personal only, lol.

And the sad part about the changing of phone and email in my case would be that all these business connections will be -_- about a change of that, and it's more costs to redo letterhead, cards, so forth and so on, since my cell phone *is* my listed phone in many cases. Guess I need to add an extra $40 in the budget for a separate phone for personal only, lol.

Yup! A royal pain in the azz.

I'm not going to buy in on all the drama and start changing phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Screw it. Freezes are fine; I've had everything frozen for ages anyhow. I'm an avid user of credit monitoring. Anything else is just not going to happen.

Any surprises come up, a police report, zero liability and some leg work will clear it up.

The last post in this topic was posted 1027 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.