shifter

shifter's Rebuilding Thread

I haven't been around for a while. but, actually I have, just under a different SN.

dice727 is actually me. (in case you missed it, the thread is here: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=567281)

yes, for the many doubters, sadly everything posted in that thread is real. I posted under an alias with mom's permission because I had some pending legal issues and this account could possibly be tracked back to me.

so now 18 months later, all that's been resolved, I received my Chapter 7 discharge in June and am working on rebuilding my credit.

since I IIB'd pretty much every major creditor around and most of the good CUs, rebuilding is going to be an interesting process.

current snapshot:

FICO08s are EX 584, EQ 606, TU 573.

I have no personal revolving accounts open right now. I didn't reaffirm the mortgage, so that's not open either. I do have open student loans. I am an AU on one open Ann Taylor account of my wife from 2003 with no balance and $3650 CL. I do still have some older paid/closed accounts on my report which helps my AAOA along with the student loans.

going to use this thread to keep track of progress and notes.

feel free to interject any advice if you think there's something I should/shouldn't do! I rebuilt many years ago from a bunch of CO accounts, but pretty much just waited until 7 years passed and everything fell off before starting to rebuild. so this is new territory for me.

I started today applying for the C1 QS One. I got a pending approval after I fax over my DL/SS card for verification. so that sounds promising, but no idea what the CL will be.

I also applied for a Discover it card because I put in my information and they matched me to it. they're also the only prime-ish creditor that I didn't IIB. still, I should have known better than to bother with Disco! they declined me. but I called the EO and put a request in for a reconsideration and the lady was nice and is going to call me back tomorrow after talking to their internal team. not holding my breath, but we'll see.

glad to hear your unique voice again

your comedy and acumen helped immensely on my own credit journey

(even though i merely lurked until this week)

sorry to hear of your unpleasant recent circumstances

hope you'll get support back from this community you've served so diligently

Welcome back, shifter. I just read the other thread, and I'm really glad to see that you came out the other side intact. Wishing all the best for you!

Sorry for the rough ride, but glad you're officially back. :wave:

I have been speculating that you might have Cappy and MizLiz in your crawl space. At some point in the near future I want to see you go on the record about this.

Best wishes on the next chapter.

Edited by cv91915

so I contacted Macy's yesterday about trying to get my card from 2003 reopened. they closed it automatically after I filed even though it had a $0 balance.

the EO called me today and basically said no, it can't be done. I had already sent a letter to the EO yesterday, so we'll see if that gets to someone else who might be more willing to make it happen. would be great to have that age back open.

still haven't heard back from the Disco EO. not very promising, but who knows.

found out C1 pulled EQ and TU. probably tried to pull EX also, but I still have it on ice.

also working on getting some paperwork together for my Grandfather who served in the Navy in WWII. hopefully that will get me into NFCU, who actually just opened a branch right near me.

I have been speculating that you might have Cappy and MizLiz in your crawl space.

they're doing just fine down there! I sent them your regards along with their daily ration of moldy bread.

but you know the one I've been wondering about is HoustonLynne being that she is/was in Houston and Harvey and all that. hope she's OK.

I have been speculating that you might have Cappy and MizLiz in your crawl space.

they're doing just fine down there! I sent them your regards along with their daily ration of moldy bread.

but you know the one I've been wondering about is HoustonLynne being that she is/was in Houston and Harvey and all that. hope she's OK.

She's in NYC now.

She's in NYC now.

Really?? Wow.

Wonder what prompted the move. Could it be RIG?

well, just like that I heard back from the Disco EO. still declined. she insinuated that it wasn't as much the BK on the report, but they could have overlooked that if my score was high enough to meet their minimum criteria. she wouldn't give me the exact number they require, but from the letter they pulled EQ. coincidentally that is my highest score at 606, but it was still too low.

not having any open revolving accounts is hurting that and even the one AU account I have has $0 balance, which isn't doing me any favors.

so I'm going to wait until I (hopefully) get this C1 account open and reporting a small balance and see how my scores look before doing any other apps.

She's in NYC now.

Really?? Wow.

Wonder what prompted the move. Could it be RIG?

I remember that now. I think she was living with/near MizLiz a couple of years ago.

Edited by shifter

She's in Gotham. Oops. Got that wrong. Visa-Versa. ;)

Nice to see you shifter. I'm not buying what everyone else is, so instead I'll offer my congratulations.

Shifter - glad to see you back around. I know you'll be back and better than ever in no time.

Don't shotgun apps that have little chance of approval. Find a couple of good secured cards (options may depend on who you IIB) and open as large a line as possible. After 12 months you will find options getting better.

Remember there are two sides of repair, do what you can to remove inaccurate reporting on your CR as well.

We're here to help, just as you helped many over the years.

Find a couple of good secured cards (options may depend on who you IIB)

I was thinking about that as well. not sure what the good options are?

I just realized the spreadsheet in my other thread had the creditors redacted.

I IIB'd pretty much everyone worth anything.

Amex

Barclay

BofA

C1

Chase

Citi

Comenity

FNBO

Nordstrom

PenFed

PNC

Synchrony

US Bank

USAA

Shifter - glad to see you back around. I know you'll be back and better than ever in no time.

Don't shotgun apps that have little chance of approval. Find a couple of good secured cards (options may depend on who you IIB) and open as large a line as possible. After 12 months you will find options getting better.

Remember there are two sides of repair, do what you can to remove inaccurate reporting on your CR as well.

+1. Secured is the way. In this situation I 'd gladly app Fingerhut,First premier, Credit One.....and ditch them as soon as profile improves

+1. Secured is the way. In this situation I 'd gladly app Fingerhut,First premier, Credit One.....and ditch them as soon as profile improves

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT do this. That is the worst thing you can do. These bottom feeding cards have no redeeming value other than to part you and your money.

Find a couple of good secured cards (options may depend on who you IIB)

I was thinking about that as well. not sure what the good options are?

I just realized the spreadsheet in my other thread had the creditors redacted.

I IIB'd pretty much everyone worth anything.

Amex

Barclay

BofA

C1

Chase

Citi

Comenity

FNBO

Nordstrom

PenFed

PNC

Synchrony

US Bank

USAA

Are you NFCU eligible? That would be a good place to start. Local credit unions might be a good choice as well.

Here is a 21 page master thread on secured cards to get you going:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500689&page=20

Edited by CTSoxFan

Are you NFCU eligible? That would be a good place to start. Local credit unions might be a good choice as well. I will do a little searching for you.

I think so since it appears they broadened the criteria so any veteran in your family makes you eligible like USAA rather than having to be a pensioned/retiree. I'm working on getting my Grandfathers WWII papers from the Navy.

on that front, I got all 3 of my paper reports. I went through them and at first glance, everything looks to be reporting correctly showing closed with $0 balances and no payment history at all. even the DOFDs look correct. not sure where to go with them at this point.

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT do this. That is the worst thing you can do. These bottom feeding cards have no redeeming value other than to part you and your money.

yeah, don't worry. I definitely know better than that.

Here is a 21 page master thread on secured cards to get you going:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500689&page=20

thanks for that. I went ahead and got the Disco secured card with the max $2500 deposit.

I'm going to open the DCU secured card also since I'm already a member and didn't IIB them.

then hopefully I'll get the C1 card and that will be good for 12 months.

so I got a pre-app in the mail today for the Ollo MC. looked like a decent card with no AF, no FTF and a FICO score. after researching around here seemed is a new card, but might be a decent rebuilder card. so I went for it.

declined. :rolleyes:

it's not like they didn't know about the BK from the pre-app screening. will have to wait for the letter in the mail as it doesn't seem to have any backdoor numbers for them yet.

finally some good news...

I got the C1 card in the mail today.

came with a 3k CL which I'm kind of shocked about.

they sure are forgiving since I IIB'd them for over 40k.

finally some good news...

I got the C1 card in the mail today.

came with a 3k CL which I'm kind of shocked about.

they sure are forgiving since I IIB'd them for over 40k.

That's great to hear! :)

Glad to see the rougher parts behind, and you're already working on things again. Alliant CU might be a good point to start since I didn't see them on your IIB list. Of course, the legendary Alliant Hack sounds like it won't be of use with the student loans, though. Just thinking of another solid CU - but it does sound like you qualify with NFCU too, which is a plus.

Alliant CU might be a good point to start since I didn't see them on your IIB list.

I didn't IIB Alliant, but they kicked me out a while back anyway. long story, but I'm no longer welcome there.

I am heading over to a NFCU branch this week to get signed up. I just got my Grandfathers discharge papers in the mail today, so I'm good to go.