ANNOUNCEMENT

cv91915 has set up a Go Fund Me page to take donations that will be used for flowers for breeze's memorial, and excess will be donated to a cancer charity in breeze's name.  If you'd like to participate, please go here:  https://www.gofundme.com/breeze-memorial .  If you have any questions about donating or the GFM, please reach out to cv91915.  

photo-thumb-3.jpg
Sunday, unexpectedly, we lost one of our own.  After a sudden diagnosis of liver cancer just two days before, our very own mama Breeze lost her battle with this disease and passed away on Sunday afternoon.   She passed peacefully surrounded by her family.

We know that many of you will be as devastated as we are to learn of this, and we know that you will share in our grief.  We will be in the Feedback forum with you, sharing our memories and our tears.  We encourage you to join us there.

We started on this journey fifteen years ago - breeze, Pam, LKH, and radi8.  Through everything that has transpired over the past fifteen years, we have always remained family - and Mama breeze was an integral part of that family.  We will be posting additional information here, as much as we can while still respecting her desire for privacy and anonymity.  For now, while we process our grief, we will close this notice with Godspeed, Mama.  We miss you so much already.

- Pam, LKH, radi8, Marv

- the mods and forum leads

Sign in to follow this  
EricD

50K of Credit Card Debts - Should I choose Debt Consolidation Companies?

Help!

Due to divorce/court/alimony+child support, I accumulated 50 K on 7 credit card (dumb :sorry: ). I'm paying the monthly minimum payments (and often more) but I'm sinking ... paying $600-800/mo on interest.

I contacted a Debt Consolidation company (Huron Law Group) - believed their promises - and just signed up yesterday.

Too good to be true?

Their Promise: Pay us $700/mo and in 4 yrs we will have settled every account & your debt will be wiped out and you can rebuild your credit.

Today, I found your forum & learned about Debt Settlement Companies - how they will rip me off, destroy my credit with no guarantee whatsoever that my debtors will settle.

Questions:
1. Is it too late to back down and cancel my agreement with Huron Law Group? Should I cancel?

2. How do I get out of this debt? - I do not want to file for Bankruptcy.

3. Should I contact each credit card, see if I can work a settlement or payment plan with them individually?

Thanks ...

Eric :wave:

Welcome to CB! Sorry about the predicament, but at least you found us in time to prevent this from happening. I'd contact them and tell them you changed your mind. Have you paid them any money?

You can contact your creditors - although I wouldn't do that, we just had someone post here that they were given some serious help from their card company. I've usually recommended Greenpath for credit counseling, if you qualify.

Hi Eric, welcome to the board.

Over here on CB, people have the added advantage of learning how the system works. You would learn a lot, and your success will depend upon your own perseverance and willingness to learn more. You will develop new habits too. Just in case if life was to happen again, you will be your own credit fix.

People are very helpful and understanding of your challenges. Most have even been in your shoes and despite troubled times and challenges, attained success with their own effort (take a look at pinned success stories).

Many people follow the board, and even if they do not reply immediately, or at all, we all will learn from your experience / journey.

;-) good luck.

Edited by morpheus0327

Thanks.

No, Breeze, I haven't paid a single dime to the Debt Settlement Company (Huron Law Group) and am planning to contact them today and cancel my arrangement with them.

I tried to call one of my credit card (Discover) but got nowhere. They're not interested in helping me as I am making the minimum monthly payments & often more.

So how do I get out of that debt ... I will try Greenpath, but I doubt I qualify ... should I go for Bankruptcy??

Thanks

Eric

If you don't qualify for Greenpath, I would talk to a bk attorney. You might want to post questions in the bk forum, too, once you work out your budget.

Thanks a million ... Called GreenPath ... the financial consultant at GreenPath (Ishmael) spent over 1 1/2 hr on the phone with me this evening ... as a non-profit group, their focus is right ... it will cost me a bit more per month (than a Debt Settlement company) and take a bit longer, but I know that I won't get scammed and my credit will not be destroyed.

Instead of forcing me to default, destroy my credit and run a 2-3 yrs nightmare with my creditors (with no promise of results), GreenPath starts the process with negotiating lower interest rates with credit cards .. so there's no surprise ... the agreement is immediate and upfront ... and no angry phone calls or threat of litigation from Discover or Chase Visa etc ... ... no drama ....a sound financial plan ...
This gives me the peace that I needed to get my credit card debt under control, preserve my credit and get my head slowly out of the water.
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.
Eric

That's Great news, Eric! So glad you don't have to go the BK route.

breeze is super-smart ;)

Im about 3 years int with Green Path. About 2 years left. Husband's credit score is 750 and mine 711. Can't wait to be debt free!

Im about 3 years int with Green Path. About 2 years left. Husband's credit score is 750 and mine 711. Can't wait to be debt free!

Fantastic! Nice work. I know it's a long haul but it will be worth it in the end. :clapping:

Fantastic! Nice work. I know it's a long haul but it will be worth it in the end. :clapping:

Thank you! We had never been late on our bills it was just overwhelming with almost 40k of credit card debt. I think we have learned our lesson. We were even able to purchase a car a few months ago while on the program with a very low interest rate. (We weren't looking for a new car but mine died and it wasn't worth putting several thousands into an older vehicle that may die again soon) We went in with what we wanted to pay and walked out with the amount we wanted!)