Sign in to follow this  
Surreal Awakening

Hilton Honors Surpass - Worth It?

So I got a pre-screened offer in the mail yesterday for the Hilton Honors Surpass Amex card. 100k SUB on $3k spend in 90 days (better than the 75k on their site currently), 15.99% APR (not a range), which is lower than the range advertised on their site. I don't currently have any Amex in my portfolio at this point. I haven't been actively applying for cards lately, and am certainly not pressed to apply for this or anything else. What's everyone's opinion on the value of this card? We travel several times a year, and we do tend to stay in Hilton hotels a good bit. Those who have it, do you feel like you get your moneys worth out of the $75 AF? As far as Amex cards go, how does this one rank? Input is greatly appreciated!

If you spend money at Hilton properties, this is the best of the available cards (most points per $). It also gives you Gold status and you can earn Diamond status by spending $40K in a year.

I have the card and I love it. I tend to stay at Hiltons not necessarily because I'm partial to the brand but because they are the most convenient hotels where I do stay. The rewards on the card have been well worth it for me. I'm already a Diamond member so the Gold status didn't matter to be but I will hit the spending this year so my Diamond status, that was scheduled to expire the end of March next year, will now continue to 2019.

I've earned enough points just from the card and SUB for at least 5 nights at the Portsmouth, NH, Hilton Garden Inn I stay at when I go up there (and still adding more points). That more than covered the annual fee. The 12 pts/$ at Hiltons added to Hilton's double/triple points promo on right now have really added up (52 pts/$ thru August).

I also love the 6 pts/$ at grocery stores. It's good for gas and drug stores too but I only buy gas about every 3 months so not much gain there and I couldn't even say when the last time I was in a drug store was.

Then 3 pts on every other purchase - that's better than all of my other rewards cards except maybe the 5% Amazon card. It's definately a worthwhile card.

I know many people on here prefer cash back cards, but I get more value out of the travel benefits. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a fixed rate (instead of a range) in an offer pretty much mean a guaranteed approval??

Plus the CLI at day 61 - I started at $10K and went to $25K at 61 days. I probably should have gone for the whole 3 times CLI but chickened out.

Go for it. i think you'll find it worthwhile.

I have the card and I love it. I tend to stay at Hiltons not necessarily because I'm partial to the brand but because they are the most convenient hotels where I do stay. The rewards on the card have been well worth it for me. I'm already a Diamond member so the Gold status didn't matter to be but I will hit the spending this year so my Diamond status, that was scheduled to expire the end of March next year, will now continue to 2019.

I've earned enough points just from the card and SUB for at least 5 nights at the Portsmouth, NH, Hilton Garden Inn I stay at when I go up there (and still adding more points). That more than covered the annual fee. The 12 pts/$ at Hiltons added to Hilton's double/triple points promo on right now have really added up (52 pts/$ thru August).

I also love the 6 pts/$ at grocery stores. It's good for gas and drug stores too but I only buy gas about every 3 months so not much gain there and I couldn't even say when the last time I was in a drug store was.

Then 3 pts on every other purchase - that's better than all of my other rewards cards except maybe the 5% Amazon card. It's definately a worthwhile card.

I know many people on here prefer cash back cards, but I get more value out of the travel benefits. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a fixed rate (instead of a range) in an offer pretty much mean a guaranteed approval??

Plus the CLI at day 61 - I started at $10K and went to $25K at 61 days. I probably should have gone for the whole 3 times CLI but chickened out.

Go for it. i think you'll find it worthwhile.

3 points per $1 is about 1.2-1.5% value typically. The grocery, restaurants and gas categories can be worthwhile and beat a 2% cash back card, although it's easy to get more value in return on other cards. If you're trying to hit $40K in spending though for Diamond status, it can definitely be worthwhile.

Edited by mendelssohn

I don't like the card for only one reason. After having the no AF HiltonHonors card, I've found several things out:

1. Hilton hotels are often like any other hotel chain - they're not all equal in terms of service or value.

2. They tend to cost more than similar hotels in the area - not much, but enough for me to be less inclined to use their hotel.

For me - I am not a fan of the hotel game when it comes to credit cards - mainly because I don't travel enough to take any advantage. But, on the occasions that I did travel, using Hotwire or Priceline resulted in me spending about 60% of the normal value of their rooms, and I can use whatever card I want and stay at a 3 or 4 star place pretty cheaply. Unless it was a business trip, I don't think I'd use the card. Just doesn't seem to be enough reward to suit me.

Now, some of the hotel cards with their large spend requirements - if I required and could handle that kind of spend, those free rooms would probably come in handy, and I'd go that route over the Hilton card. But - if you've got deep pockets and spend a lot, or are comfy using MS, then the card should work fine for you.

I don't like the card for only one reason. After having the no AF HiltonHonors card, I've found several things out:

1. Hilton hotels are often like any other hotel chain - they're not all equal in terms of service or value.

2. They tend to cost more than similar hotels in the area - not much, but enough for me to be less inclined to use their hotel.

For me - I am not a fan of the hotel game when it comes to credit cards - mainly because I don't travel enough to take any advantage. But, on the occasions that I did travel, using Hotwire or Priceline resulted in me spending about 60% of the normal value of their rooms, and I can use whatever card I want and stay at a 3 or 4 star place pretty cheaply. Unless it was a business trip, I don't think I'd use the card. Just doesn't seem to be enough reward to suit me.

Now, some of the hotel cards with their large spend requirements - if I required and could handle that kind of spend, those free rooms would probably come in handy, and I'd go that route over the Hilton card. But - if you've got deep pockets and spend a lot, or are comfy using MS, then the card should work fine for you.

The OP already stays at Hilton properties, and the points earned will earn free nights and easily offset the AF. By "similar hotels," I doubt you are talking about hotels of equal quality. Hilton is not my number 1 choice, but for someone already staying at Hilton properties regularly, this card makes a lot of sense. If the OP got the no AF Hilton card, they wouldn't be earning as many points on their regular paid stays. The no AF card makes more sense for someone who doesn't pay out of pocket for hotel stays.

I stay at Hilton's a lot. The Surpass card really racks up points fast, plus the bonus points add up fast depending on the promotion. I'll get at least 12 free nights at decent hotels this year or 3 to 5 at upscale expensive properties depending on how I use the points.

I think it's the best hotel card available if you already stay at Hilton properties.